15 July 2006

13 July 2006

Observing LocationWhite Plains Rd @ Cross Bronx Expressway, Bronx, NY
Observational Period2100-2115 EDT
Atmospheric ConditionsI thought this afternoon that tonight could turn into an observing night bur around 1800 EDT there was heavy cloud cover in the S and W and I even felt a couple of drops of rain. That and the fact that I have to be up at 0500 EDT to go out to Brookhaven National Laboratory for a tour with the Hall of Science Amateur Radio Club convinced me that I should stay home and try to get some early sleep.

The other night while we were waiting for Manhattan Henge I got eaten alive by mosquitoes or gnats. The bites are burning and driving me crazy. I tried taking ibuprophen to quell the burning but it didn't work. Tonight I took a Benedryl tablet at dinner and now I don't even know the bites are there.. But while I was sitting in the park trying to read a couple of chapters in Frank Herbert's The Dosadi Experiment I was starting to fall asleep despite. The loud meringue music they were playing for the neighborhood cultural festival of the week. I decided to pack it in and when I headed south I could see Jupiter in clear air so decided to stop off at my good western horizon location to see if I could spot Saturn and Mars as well.

The sky was mostly clear with only a few scattered cumulus clouds. The temperature was falling but the humidity seemed to be dropping as well. It didn't seem to be hazy and I was able to see more stars than I have seen in a while. The air was still.br>

TransparencyGood
Seeing
Instruments Naked-eye Observing - Charlie
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway

Naked-Eye
Limiting
Magnitude
Object Magnitude
Jupiter -2.2
Spica
α Vir
0.98
Arcturus
α Boo
-0.05
Altair
αAql
0.76
Deneb
α Cyg
1.25
Sadr
γ Cyg
2.23
Vega
α Lyr
0.03
Regulus
α Leo
1.36

Disclaimer
This is my personal record of my astronomical observations. It was written for my personal reference. The only reason it is in a blog is that a blog is a very convenient way to get the records formatted more or less uniformly and they will, hopefully, have greater longevity at Google where the servers are backed up than on my hard drive which never gets backed up. I occasionally include copyrighted material in my posts. I do this to make it convenient for me to access things I think I might want to refer to again. I think of this like making a photocopy of something I read that I put in a file where I can find it when I want it. As I understand copyright law, as explained in the DVD series Copyright Compliance by Chip Taylor Communications, this use is allowed under the Fair Use doctrine since I am not making any money on this blog, I don’t publicize the blog, and only occasionally post small excerpts of copyrighted works.


Disclosure
This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog does not accept any form of advertising, sponsorship, or paid insertions. We write for our own purposes. However, we may be influenced by our background, occupation, religion, political affiliation or experience.

The owner(s) of this blog will never receive compensation in any way from this blog.

The owner(s) of this blog is not compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the blog owners. If we claim or appear to be experts on a certain topic or product or service area, we will only endorse products or services that we believe, based on our expertise, are worthy of such endorsement. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider.

This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest.