11 July 2006

9 July 2006

Observing LocationMet Oval
Observational Period1405-1420 EDT
Atmospheric ConditionsA little hazy and hot partly clody with a moderate breeze. No moiling was noted. I had to wait for passing clouds to make my observations.
Good
TransparencyGood
Seeing
Instruments Canon 15x50 IS binocular w/Baader AstroSolar filter film - Charlie
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway

Target Sunspots
Constellation Gem
Category Solar
Time20060709.1405 EDT
CommentsIf group 898 is still on the face of the sun it is so close to the leading limb that I can't see it.
899
I see one small spot approaching the meridian. It wasn't immediately obvious.

  Groups Spots R
North 0 0 0
South 1 1 11
Total 1 1 11


Observing LocationTotL
Observational Period2000-0030 EDT
Atmospheric ConditionsAnother night when it was worse than predicted. This is the third time in a row. It looked a little hazy with broken clouds. When it got dark no stars were visible then the clouds started filling up the sky. The wind was strong enough to move Peter's tripod mounted binocular but wasn’t doing much to SAR. It got clear enough that the Moon looked very crisp but there were still few stars visible. The air began to feel a little more moist then around midnight we started to see lightning out to the west and the wind picked up briefly like it was going to rain. When Peter and I were talking out on Fifth Ave where he catches his cab we felt a few drops of rain but it wasn't enough to get either us or the sidewalk wet.
Fair
TransparencyPoor
Seeing
Instruments SAR: Coulter CT-100 -Charlie
Canon 15x50 IS binocular - Charlie
Takahashi 22x60 binocular - Peter
Fujinon 10x50 binocular - Peter
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway
Peter Tagatac

TargetJupiter
ConstellationVir
CategoryPlanet
Time20060709.2130 EDT
Commentsin SAR @ 43x
It was a long while after Peter started seeing moons until I did. About the time they started coming out the air was getting clearer snd the planet was shrinking in size. Before the air cleared up there was a hint of what might have been equatorial bands but probably wad not.

TargetMoon
ConstellationSgr
CategoryLunar
Time20060709.2200 EDT
CommentsThe moon spent a good bit of time hiding behind the clouds but eventually came into some very clear air.
It appeared very round both in the scope and binocular any by naked-eye observation, but close examination under magnification showed that the eastern limb was much lumpier. J Herschel was right on the terminator above Sinus Iridum.
I seemed to get the best contrast on the surface of the Moon with SAR at 21x. At 43x The sky right up to the Moon's limb was very black. At 21x I was seeing small white craters and rays all over the Moon that I could also see at 43x but which did not look as bright at that magnification. They weren't as impressive in the binocular either.
We found two TYC stars that were occulted while we were observing but they were not bright enough to be seen as the dark limb of the 98% illuminated Moon approached them.

TargetIridium 80 Flare
ConstellationVir
CategorySatellite
Time20060709.2321 EDT
CommentsThis was a very bright flare that Planetarium said would be to the lower left of Jupiter. It actually appeared to Jupiter's upper right. I had planetarium set up for the telescope and nearly missed the event.

Disclaimer
This is my personal record of my astronomical observations. It was written for my personal reference. The only reason it is in a blog is that a blog is a very convenient way to get the records formatted more or less uniformly and they will, hopefully, have greater longevity at Google where the servers are backed up than on my hard drive which never gets backed up. I occasionally include copyrighted material in my posts. I do this to make it convenient for me to access things I think I might want to refer to again. I think of this like making a photocopy of something I read that I put in a file where I can find it when I want it. As I understand copyright law, as explained in the DVD series Copyright Compliance by Chip Taylor Communications, this use is allowed under the Fair Use doctrine since I am not making any money on this blog, I don’t publicize the blog, and only occasionally post small excerpts of copyrighted works.


Disclosure
This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog does not accept any form of advertising, sponsorship, or paid insertions. We write for our own purposes. However, we may be influenced by our background, occupation, religion, political affiliation or experience.

The owner(s) of this blog will never receive compensation in any way from this blog.

The owner(s) of this blog is not compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the blog owners. If we claim or appear to be experts on a certain topic or product or service area, we will only endorse products or services that we believe, based on our expertise, are worthy of such endorsement. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider.

This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest.