08 July 2006

7 July 2006

Observing LocationTotL
Observational Period1915-2400 EDT
Atmospheric ConditionsMostly cloudy and seasonably warm. Light haze. Then conditions went downhill. Most of the night it was a challenge trying to see Jupiter and the Moon through the clouds. On a few rare occasions there were gaps in the clouds but they were mainly teasers out to the west that filled in before they got to the south.
TransparencyPoor
SeeingGood
Instruments SAR: Coulter CT-100 -Charlie
Canon 15x50 IS binocular - Charlie
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway

Target Sunspots
Constellation Gem
Category Solar
Time20060707.1925 EDT
CommentsViewed through haze and clouds.
898
According to Space Weather this spot is supposed to have split in two. I can't split the components but definitely see a lobe on the side of the main portion of the spot.
899
This is a new group since I last observed. I can see two spots in the group. The P spot is large and was easily found. The F spot is much smaller and took some work.

  Groups Spots R
North 0 0 0
South 2 3 23
Total 2 3 23

TargetLacrosse 3 across the Moon
ConstellationSco
CategorySatellite & Lunar
Time20060707.2034 EDT
CommentsI was all set up and thought I might have a chance at this one since my scope’s theoretical resolving poser is about a minute of arc and the satellite subtends two minutes> The Moon is waxing gibbous so the pass would be over the lighted surface longer. Just as my alarm was going off signaling the start of the pass the clouds moved in over the Moon.

TargetIridium 54 Flare
ConstellationCam
CategorySatellite
Time20060707.2126 EDT
CommentsThis Mag -6 flare burned through the clouds briefly and faded. It looked golden to orange.

TargetJupiter
ConstellationLib
CategoryPlanet
Time20060707.2219 EDT
CommentsI saw Jupiter early in the evening then there was a gap in th clouds and it had four moons. This time when it came into clear air one of the moons was transiting or occulted.

TargetMoon
ConstellationSco
CategoryLunar
Time20060707.2226 EDT
CommentsThe Moon was in the head of the scorpion tonight between and below Antares and Dschubba. I could see both claws in my binocular but was only able to find one star in SAR.
There was a break in the clouds when the views of the moon were very crisp in both the binocular and the scope but most of the time I was looking through clouds.
  • Mare Crisium and Sinus Iridum appeared to be as dark as Plato
  • Aristarchus was very white
  • There is a darker crater right next to Aristarchus, Heroditus, that I have never noticed before although its mane is familiar so Peter or Ben have probably pointed it out
  • Schicard is on the terminator
  • Mersenius and Gassendi, on the edge of Mare Humorum are well defined

TargetThe Coathanger
ConstellationVul
CategoryAsterism
Time20060707.2330 EDT
CommentsI located The Coathanger in my hand held binocular and tried to do the same with the scope but there were not enough stars uncovered by the clouds for long enough for me to star hop to it. I tried getting there from Cygnus, from Lyra and from Aquila and each time I got lost in the clouds before I got there

Disclaimer
This is my personal record of my astronomical observations. It was written for my personal reference. The only reason it is in a blog is that a blog is a very convenient way to get the records formatted more or less uniformly and they will, hopefully, have greater longevity at Google where the servers are backed up than on my hard drive which never gets backed up. I occasionally include copyrighted material in my posts. I do this to make it convenient for me to access things I think I might want to refer to again. I think of this like making a photocopy of something I read that I put in a file where I can find it when I want it. As I understand copyright law, as explained in the DVD series Copyright Compliance by Chip Taylor Communications, this use is allowed under the Fair Use doctrine since I am not making any money on this blog, I don’t publicize the blog, and only occasionally post small excerpts of copyrighted works.


Disclosure
This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog does not accept any form of advertising, sponsorship, or paid insertions. We write for our own purposes. However, we may be influenced by our background, occupation, religion, political affiliation or experience.

The owner(s) of this blog will never receive compensation in any way from this blog.

The owner(s) of this blog is not compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the blog owners. If we claim or appear to be experts on a certain topic or product or service area, we will only endorse products or services that we believe, based on our expertise, are worthy of such endorsement. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider.

This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest.