29 June 2006
| Observing Location | East Road and Parkchester Rd, Parkchester, Bronx, NY | ||||
|---|---|---|---|---|---|
| Observational Period | 2100-2145 EDT | ||||
| Atmospheric Conditions | Fairly heavy haze and mostly cloudy. It had already rained and rained again later in the night. It is warm and humid but a cold front is supposed to pass through
I have been carrying a foul weather jacket with me for what seems like forever, and rarely need it. Today I didn't carry it and we had some moderate rain during an electric storm just when I was getting out of a lecture at the library. I had to wait around for 30 minutes for it to let up enough for me to get to the subway without getting myself and my electronics soaked. There was a long delay before a train arrived and I had to let two go past before one arrived I could get into. There were no announcements to say if the delay was weather related or just your routine delay.
| ||||
| Instruments | Naked eye Observing | ||||
| Observing Party | Charlie Ridgway |
| Target | Moon |
|---|---|
| Constellation | Leo |
| Category | Lunar |
| Time | 20060629.2100 EDT |
| Comments | I was out and was surprised when I turned a corner and saw the crescent Moon shining through heavy haze. It is supposed to be next to Regulus but I didn't see the star. Had it been clear there were some dim stars around the Moon that would have looked nice in the binocular or telescope.
On my way home about a half hour later I had to stand there and wait for the Moon to shine through thin spots in the clouds it had sunk into. This is the second day in a row that the weather has been lousy but I have still seen the Moon. Both days it was just the luck of being in the right place at the right time as I would not have gone out to have tried observing on either occasion. |


<< Home