21 September 2006

21 September 2006

Observing LocationCSP
Observational Period0530-0715 EDT
I almost didn't make it this morning,. I woke up at 0300 EDT and turned the alarm off but did not get out of bed. When I regained consciousness it was already 0420 EDT and I had told Peter I planned to arrive at 0500ish0. Coincidentally I am reading A geography of time: the temporal misadventures of a social psychologist, or how every culture keeps time just a little bit differently and, in the current chapter on the history of the clock, which I was reading on my way to the park, the author is talking about punctuality and how our perception of it has changed as our ability to measure time and to measure it in ever fiber increments had advanced.
Atmospheric ConditionsClear and brisk. I heard on the radio they the 0630 EDT Central Park temperature was 58 and it was down in the high 40s up at Newburgh. I could have used more insulation on my arms.
TransparencyGood
SeeingGood
InstrumentsCanon 15x50 IS binocular w/Baader AstroSolar filter film - Charlie
takahashi 22x60 binocular - Peter
Fujinon 7x50 binocular - Peter
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway
Peter Tagatac

TargetOrion
ConstellationOri
CategoryConstellation
Time20060921.0530 EDT
CommentsOrion appeared very bright. I could see the thee stars of the sword but did not notice any nebulosity NE.

TargetSaturn
Constellation
CategoryPlanet
Time20060921.0545 EDT
CommentsSaturn looked flattened on the top and had a lot of flare.

TargetMoon
Constellation
CategoryLunar
Time20060921.0558 EDT
CommentsPeter found it first and I got it as soon as I knew where he was looking. It rose a lot farther south than it had last month. We saw it at 1.19° above the horizon just north of east. If there hadn’t been buildings there we might have seen it lower down. I didn't notice any horns, the illuminated portion appeared thick along its entire length and looked knotty. I could see it between 8:30 and 4:00. By 0615 it was really difficult to see naked eye and it was last seen in the binocular at 0625. I did subsequently see something in Peter's binocular that I thought was the 6:00 portion of the limb.
Date21Sep06
Time0625 EDT
Phaselast crescent
Age28d15h14m
-1d1h24m from new
Elongation11.44° W
% Illuminated1.0%
Alt.6.10°

TargetVenus
Constellation
CategoryPlanet
Time20060921.0604 EDT
CommentsPeter and I found Venus at the same time. It was so bright I identified it literally naked eye; I wasn't even wearing my glasses. It flared in my binocular, having two tails like a comet. I don't have a record of when I last saw it naked eye, but it was shortly before sunrise (0642 EDT)

TargetISS visible pass
ConstellationEri, Lep, CMa
CategorySatellite
Time20060921.0611 EDT
CommentsThe ISS was making a pass from S to E, low on the horizon (18° max. alt.). It passed very close under Wezen and was gone when I looked back for it. Heavens Above lists the Space Shuttle following it one minute later but this appears to be if they had been waved off on their first landing attempt. The ISS didn't look any different to my eye from what I remember of it before the new solar panels were installed.

TargetSpace Shuttle Communications
Constellation
CategorySatellite
Time20060921.0625 EDT
CommentsI had done some research to find out which amateur radio repeater would be rebroadcasting the Shuttle communications during landing this morning. There is a radio club in Hauppague, Long Island, and another in Monmouth County, NJ, who both say on their web pages that they rebroadcast on either the 2-meter or 70 centimeter bands. Yesterday I heard some NASA commentary on the Hauppague repeater but reception was poor. Today there was commercial radio or TV there with a lot of other intremodilation. The other frequencies were quiet. Then, just after the scheduled landing time, I heard Houston calling Atlantis on a checklist item. I couldn't tell at the time if it was a pre or post landing call. I subsequently heard in the commentary that Atlantis had landed on schedule. I expect that I will have an easier time receiving that signal once I get my Yagi antenna built.

Target Sunspots
ConstellationVir
CategorySolar
Time20060921.0715 EDT
Comments
Heliphraphic Latitude
(B0)
+7.08°
Heliographic Longitude
(L0)
357.31°
Position Angle
(P)
+25.00°
Carrington rotation number
(CR)
2048
Moderate boiling on the upper and lower limbs. I can't be certain I haven't missed something there.

Group 910
Heliographic Latitude -11°
Heliographic Longitude 340°
McIntosh SystemAxx
The spot is small and not immediately apparent (even Peter had to search a while and ultimately needed me to direct that search).

 Groups SpotsR
North0 0 0
South1 1 11
Total1 1 11
R = (Groups * 10) + Spots)



Observing LocationTotL
Observational Period2000-2345 EDT
Atmospheric ConditionsCold and clear with light haze.
TransparencyGood
SeeingGood
InstrumentsCanon 15x50 IS binocular - Charlie
Celestron 7x50 binocular - Kin
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway
Kin Lee

TargetSatellites
ConstellationCyg
CategorySatellite
Time20060921.2115 EDT
CommentsI was talking with a passer by while watching the Cosmos 1833 rocket, which I happened to spot, passing NNW-SSE. He thought he had found it but had picked up another, unknown satellite on the reciprocal path.

TargetIridium 29 Flare
ConstellationHer
CategorySatellite
Time20060921.2141 EDT
CommentsThis is the first Iridium flare I have seen in a while and it was a good one. It was up at 50° so was in clear air and at Mag. -3 it looked like a plane heading right for is. It was so bright that it lit up the haze in a halo around it.

TargetCorona Australis
ConstellationCrA
CategoryConstellation
Time20060921.2050 EDT
CommentsI spent some time scanning the horizon the south to are if any new constellations might be visible. I saw less of the constellations I had previously found there. I think I saw three stars at the top of CrB.

TargetMicroscopium
ConstellationMic
CategoryConstellation
Time20060921.2054 EDT
CommentsI only found four stars at the top of the constellation. The low horizon was washed out by the Manhattan South skyline.

TargetPiscis Austrinus
ConstellationPsA
CategoryConstellation
Time20060921.2100 EDT
CommentsI could see the tail but ran into trees after the first belly star.

TargetKemble's Cascade & NGC1502
ConstellationCam
CategoryAsterism & DSO
Time20060921.2254 EDT
CommentsKemble's Cascade is not a bright asterism on really black sky nights but it appeared particularly faint tonight. I didn't see NGC1502 in the birds foot.

TargetNeptune
ConstellationAqr
CategoryPlanet
Time20060921.2230 EDT
CommentsEasily found but dim; slightly bluish.

TargetUranus
ConstellationAqr
CategoryPlanet
Time20060921.2247 EDT
CommentsI had trouble hopping to it but once there it was easily identified as it is relatively bright and out of place in the star field.

Naked-eye
Limiting
Magnitude
I didn't do a full star inventory tonight but did check out the UMi and did are all of the stars of the little dipper and Pherkad Minor. This is unusual for me even when Peter reports seeing everything. Pherkad Minor is Mag 5.02 and at 2253 EDT was 35.10° above the horizon. Using the table below, from the 2004 Observer's Handbook, which corrects for atmospheric extinction, I am estimating that my zenith limiting magnitude should have been at least Mag.. 5.22.
Alt.Add
52-90.0.0
36-520.1
29-360.2
24-290.3
20-24 0.4
18-200.5

TargetAndromeda Galaxy, M31
ConstellationAnd
CategoryDSO: Galaxy
Time20060921.2255 EDT
CommentsA dense nucleus surrounded by a much less dense, thin band of nebulosity.

TargetNGC6633/td>
ConstellationOph
CategoryDSO: OCl
Time20060921.2333 EDT
CommentsAbout a half dozen brighter stars surrounded by stardust.

Target27 Oph
ConstellationOph
CategoryDouble Star
Time20060921.2337 EDT
CommentsAt 287" a very wide and unequal (3.7/7.5) double.

TargetNGC6572
ConstellationOph
CategoryDSO
Time20060921.2344 EDT
CommentsNot certain but I saw some points of light in the area. Planetarium doesn't say so I don't even know what kind of object it is.
This morning we noticed considerable flare around Venus in my binocular. It was bothersome but there was observing to do so I didn't dwell on it. Tonight the same thing happened. All of the stars looked like little comets with two tails all pointing in the same direction. I was showing a passer by the Alpha Perseus Association and she asked what the strange shaped object was at the top of the field. I explained that it was a defect in the binocular that had just occurred and speculated that they might have been bumped. After she walked away it hit me. This morning I found that my batteries were dead but didn't take the time to swap them with the charged pair I had in the binocular bag. For some reason, whenever the charge on the batteries drops below the level at which the IS will function the prisms go somewhere where they are out of alignment and all the stars start looking like comets. So even if you don't intend to use IS you need to have a pair of good batteries installed in the binocular for them to focus properly.

Disclaimer
This is my personal record of my astronomical observations. It was written for my personal reference. The only reason it is in a blog is that a blog is a very convenient way to get the records formatted more or less uniformly and they will, hopefully, have greater longevity at Google where the servers are backed up than on my hard drive which never gets backed up. I occasionally include copyrighted material in my posts. I do this to make it convenient for me to access things I think I might want to refer to again. I think of this like making a photocopy of something I read that I put in a file where I can find it when I want it. As I understand copyright law, as explained in the DVD series Copyright Compliance by Chip Taylor Communications, this use is allowed under the Fair Use doctrine since I am not making any money on this blog, I don’t publicize the blog, and only occasionally post small excerpts of copyrighted works.


Disclosure
This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog does not accept any form of advertising, sponsorship, or paid insertions. We write for our own purposes. However, we may be influenced by our background, occupation, religion, political affiliation or experience.

The owner(s) of this blog will never receive compensation in any way from this blog.

The owner(s) of this blog is not compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the blog owners. If we claim or appear to be experts on a certain topic or product or service area, we will only endorse products or services that we believe, based on our expertise, are worthy of such endorsement. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider.

This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest.