12 July 2006

11 July 2006

Observing LocationPark Ave & 34 St, New York, NY
Observational Period2000-2030 EDT
Atmospheric ConditionsIt was hot, humid, and very hazy.
TransparencyPoor
Seeing
Instruments Minolta X-700 35mm camera with 35-70mm zoom lens - Charlie Fujinon 10x58 binocular u Peter Canon Digital Elph camera - Peter
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway
Peter Tagatac
Kin Lee

TargetManhattan Henge
ConstellationGem
CategoryAlignment
Time20060711.2015 EDT
CommentsSomewhere on the Web I found a listing from Neil deGrasse Tyson that tonight was the second time during the year when the sun would set aligned with the Manhattan street grid. NASA's Astronomy Picture of the Day sight says it is tomorrow night. Two other photographers were there hoping to photograph it but no one was certain of the date. Possible dates ranged from the 11th through the 12th. It seems that even Tyson can’t make up his mind as he has provided both 11Jul and 12Jul to different audiences at different times. The only thing that was certain was that it was not seen last night. The clouds were very thick and we didn't even see the sun. Peter looked up the azimuth of setting for tonight and tomorrow night and found them to be one degree different and estimated that the street at the western end of Manhattan is less than two degrees wide. So a day off from the actual date and the sun might set behind the buildings on either the north or south side of the street. Weather permitting we will give it another try tomorrow night.

Disclaimer
This is my personal record of my astronomical observations. It was written for my personal reference. The only reason it is in a blog is that a blog is a very convenient way to get the records formatted more or less uniformly and they will, hopefully, have greater longevity at Google where the servers are backed up than on my hard drive which never gets backed up. I occasionally include copyrighted material in my posts. I do this to make it convenient for me to access things I think I might want to refer to again. I think of this like making a photocopy of something I read that I put in a file where I can find it when I want it. As I understand copyright law, as explained in the DVD series Copyright Compliance by Chip Taylor Communications, this use is allowed under the Fair Use doctrine since I am not making any money on this blog, I don’t publicize the blog, and only occasionally post small excerpts of copyrighted works.


Disclosure
This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog does not accept any form of advertising, sponsorship, or paid insertions. We write for our own purposes. However, we may be influenced by our background, occupation, religion, political affiliation or experience.

The owner(s) of this blog will never receive compensation in any way from this blog.

The owner(s) of this blog is not compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the blog owners. If we claim or appear to be experts on a certain topic or product or service area, we will only endorse products or services that we believe, based on our expertise, are worthy of such endorsement. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider.

This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest.