24 July 2006

24 July 2006

Observing LocationCSP
Observational Period0415-0715 EDT
Atmospheric ConditionsIt was mild but very humid. The bench and all or out bags on it were wet or moist. The sky was clear except for the usual smog on the horizon. There was no air movement at all. After daylight the sky was very blue with no evidence of any haze.
Good
TransparencyExcellent
Seeing
Instruments Canon 15x50 IS binocular w/Baader AstroSolar filter film - Charlie
Takahashi 22x60 binocular - Peter
Fujinon 10x50 binocular - Peter
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway
Peter Tagatac

TargetIridium 34 flare
ConstellationPeg
CategorySatellite
Time20060724.0458 EDT
CommentsIt was bright (Mag -4) and remained so for a long time as it moved generally N to S.

TargetLast crescent Moon
ConstellationGem
CategoryLunar
Time20060724.0504-0528 EDT
CommentsPeter spotted it first and I got it easily in my handuheld binocular after I knew where to look.
It appeared as a thin smile spanning 9:00 to 4:00, about 150°, with bright spots at 7:00, 6:00 and 5:00. The illuminated portion appeared thicker at these bright spots.
At 0536 EDT it started to come and go and I was not able to recover it after 0528 EDT.
My previous record for an old Moon was 28d06h36m. This Moon was 28d17h22m so is a new record. It is also a record for my thinnest Moon at 0.8° the previous record for either a last or first crescent being 0.9°. But this moon is 19h3m from full so my closest moon to full remains 19h0m.

Target Sunspots
Constellation Gem
Category Solar
Time20060724.0609 EDT
Commentsthe sun rose farther east than I was expecting it ro based on where the Moon rose, but still much farther north than we are used to seeing it.
As it passed behind the spans of the bridge it had the impression of being squashed in height or stretched in width.
There was a lot of boiling all the way around the limb but it did not appear to extend across the surface of the disk, at least the spots were fairly constant.

I saw one group of spots about half way from the trailing limb to the meridian. It was composed of one large spot followed by a smaller spot.

  Groups Spots R
North 0 0 0
South 1 2 12
Total 1 2 12
R = (Groups * 10) + Spots

[27Jul06: I determined today that this group is actually in the northern hemisphere.]

TargetISS close to Venus
ConstellationGem
CategorySatellite
Time20060724.0658 EDT
CommentsNot Seen
We had already packed up and were about to leave when I got a 15-minute warning on my PDA so I set up again. I observed from 0655 until 0700 and did not see any trace of movement near Venus.
I found this event on CalSky where they only listed the magnitude of Venus and not ISS so there is no indication that this will be a visible pass other than the fact that the entry was bolded. But that might be because Venus was visible. The event was not listed in Heavens Above. It does not get listed in PocketSat+.


Observing LocationTotL
Observational Period2300-2315
Atmospheric ConditionsThere were lots of clouds around the Bronx this afternoon and CSC was forecasting a miserable evening so I decided to go to the HBO outdoor movie in Bryant Park. I didn't feel too bad about it since the mocie was High Noon and the sheriff would be wearing a star. When I went to catch the subway downtown I thought I might be making a mistake since from. The subway platform it looked like the sky was clear all the away around most of the way to the horizon, but I was already on the subway and doesn’t have any optics and didn't know if anyone else would be at the park so kept going to the movie. The movie was a short one so we were through by 2230 EDT and I decided to take the bus up to 86 St and see if anyone was at TotL. I looked up at the sky and couldn't see anything but in light-polluted 42 St it is hard to guess what that might equate to at TotL. Tonight it didn't equate to much.

The sky was gray to milky. Only the brightest stars were visible. It was warm and humid and there was no air movement.

TransparencyPoor
Seeing
Instruments Naked-eye observing - Charlie
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway

Naked-eye
Limiting
Magnitude
North
1.97
East
Zenith
0.03
West
-0.05
South
0.76
Object Mag
Vega
α Lyr
0.03
Deneb
α Cyg
1.25
Sadr
γ Cyg
2.20
Altair
α Aql
0.76
Arcturus
α Boo
-0.05
Alkaid
η UMa
1.85
Mizar
ζ UMa
2.23
Alioth
ε UMa
1.76
Phad
γ UMa
2.41
Kochab
β UMi
2.07
Polaris
α UMi
1.97
Caph
β Cas
2.28
Schedar
α Cas
2.24
γ Cas 2.15
Ruchbah
δ Cas
2.66

I did see some more fainter stars in the north but they weren't anything I could associate with a constellation from memory. I suspect that they were parts of Draco and Cepheus.

Disclaimer
This is my personal record of my astronomical observations. It was written for my personal reference. The only reason it is in a blog is that a blog is a very convenient way to get the records formatted more or less uniformly and they will, hopefully, have greater longevity at Google where the servers are backed up than on my hard drive which never gets backed up. I occasionally include copyrighted material in my posts. I do this to make it convenient for me to access things I think I might want to refer to again. I think of this like making a photocopy of something I read that I put in a file where I can find it when I want it. As I understand copyright law, as explained in the DVD series Copyright Compliance by Chip Taylor Communications, this use is allowed under the Fair Use doctrine since I am not making any money on this blog, I don’t publicize the blog, and only occasionally post small excerpts of copyrighted works.


Disclosure
This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog does not accept any form of advertising, sponsorship, or paid insertions. We write for our own purposes. However, we may be influenced by our background, occupation, religion, political affiliation or experience.

The owner(s) of this blog will never receive compensation in any way from this blog.

The owner(s) of this blog is not compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the blog owners. If we claim or appear to be experts on a certain topic or product or service area, we will only endorse products or services that we believe, based on our expertise, are worthy of such endorsement. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider.

This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest.