09 January 2007

7 January 2007

Observing LocationParkchester Subway Station
They are doing track work and station rehabilitation along the line and all northbound trains are running express from Hunts Point to the end of the line. That means the trains are running on the middle track and they are opening the doors onto the southbound platform to make it easier for people who need to backtrack on a southbound train for bypassed stations. So I don't have access to the southern platform today and am having to look around station furniture and structures to see the horizon. The comet is rising south of east and there is an apartment building that is blocking access to the first couple of degrees of sky there. I probably would have been better off making the trip down to CSP.
Observational Period0615-0715 EST
Atmospheric Conditions
Cloud CoverScattered Cloud
Temperature44°F
WindLight Breeze
HumidityModerate
Feels LikeChilly

It was mostly clear but clouds moved in low on the horizon from the W/SW. It isn't that cold this morning but the moisture and wind, and the memory of record breaking temperatures yesterday, are making it feel worse than it is. But our perception of temperature is more important than the actual thermometer reading.

TransparencyGood
SeeingII
InstrumentsCanon 15x50 IS binocular - Charlie
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway

TargetMoon
ConstellationLeo
CategoryLunar
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20070107.0615 EST
Comments
Lunation1039
PhaseWaning Gibbous
Age17d21h13m
Elongation134.24°
% Illuminated84.9%
Magnitude-11.5
Altitude39.44°
Distance
Light Time
(from Earth)
394,000 km
1.31s
Diameter30'22"
There were two bright "stars" to the lower right of the Moon. The farthest away was Saturn. About a quarter of that distance from the Moon was dimmer Regulus. Way out behind was Denebola.

TargetSaturn
ConstellationLeo
CategoryPlanet
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20070107.0615 EST
Comments
Object
Class
Classical Planet
Elongation142.64°
Magnitude0.2
Altitude36.13°
Distance
Light Time
(from Earth)
8.38 AU
1h10m
Distance
(from Sun)
9.18 AU
Angular
Size
19.7"x17.5"
RingAngular
Size
44.8"x9.91"
Ring
Inclination
12.78

TargetJupiter
ConstellationOph
CategoryPlanet
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20070107.0625 EST
Comments
Object
Class
Classical Planet
Elongation37.26°
Magnitude-1.8
Altitude14.45°
Angular
Size
32.2"x30.1"
MoonsC G    I(J)   E
Distance
Light Time
(from Earth)
6.11 AU
50m51S
Distance
(from Sun)
5.37 AU
Central Meridian
I/II

225°
I could see Jupiter’s moons around the planet but as the sky began to lighten they were lost.

TargetMars
ConstellationOph
CategoryPlanet
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20070107.0630 EST
Comments
Object
Class
Classical Planet
PhaseWaning Gibbous
Central Meridian 180°
Elongation23.67°
% Illuminated98.3%
Magnitude1.5
Altitude6.48°
Distance
Light Time
(from Earth)
2.35 AU
19m34s
Distance
(from Sun)
1.51 AU
Angular
Size
3.98"
Central
Meridian
180°
Mars appeared pink to orange in color. Even after I had landmarked it it was difficult to recover and I was not able to fee it naked-eye.

TargetC/2006 P1 (McNaught)
ConstellationAql
CategoryComet/Asteroid/Meteor
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20070107.0640 EST
CommentsNot Seen
I scanned the horizon where I expected the comet to rise, based on the location of Mars, but never saw anything there and then towards 0700 EST the clouds reached that part of the horizon. I wasn't able to locate Altair either.



When I arrived home I noticed what I think are daffodils sprouting next to the entrance to my building. (They may be crocuses.) NOAA says we set a record high temperature yesterday at 72°F. They were expecting that we might also have a record for the highest low temperature on Friday but I never heard if that happened.




Observing LocationPSC
Observational Period1330-1345 EST
Atmospheric Conditions
Cloud CoverScattered Cloud
Cirrus & Stratus
~50%
Temperature40s
WindCalm
HumidityModerate
Feels LikeCool

The clouds are starting to build for the next spate of rain that is supposed to begin late tonight.

TransparencyGood
SeeingI
InstrumentsCanon 15x50 IS binocular w/Baader AstroSolar filter film - Charlie
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway

Target Sunspots
ConstellationSgr
CategorySolar
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20070107.1330 EST
Comments
Distance
Light Time
0.983AU
8m11s
Angular Size32'32”
Heliographic Latitude
(B0)
3.75°
Heliographic Longitude
(L0)
10.09°
Position Angle
(P)
-1.03°
Carrington rotation number
(CR)
2051

All I are today is the two big spots.

 Groups SpotsR
North0 0 0
South2 2 22
Total2 2 22
R = (Groups * 10) + Spots)

Group 933
Heliographic Latitude -8°
Heliographic Longitude 39°
Mcintosh SystemHkx
Southern Hemisphere
This spot is now about half way across the lower right quadrant of the Sun's disk. It is large with a penumbra that appears a lurele irregular. I think the spot is still elongated horizontally.
Group 930
Heliographic Latitude +4°
Heliographic Longitude
Mcintosh SystemHhx
Southern Hemisphere
This is the larger of the two spots. It appears to br nearly circular with a broad symmetrical penumbra. It is near the center of the disk.

Disclaimer
This is my personal record of my astronomical observations. It was written for my personal reference. The only reason it is in a blog is that a blog is a very convenient way to get the records formatted more or less uniformly and they will, hopefully, have greater longevity at Google where the servers are backed up than on my hard drive which never gets backed up. I occasionally include copyrighted material in my posts. I do this to make it convenient for me to access things I think I might want to refer to again. I think of this like making a photocopy of something I read that I put in a file where I can find it when I want it. As I understand copyright law, as explained in the DVD series Copyright Compliance by Chip Taylor Communications, this use is allowed under the Fair Use doctrine since I am not making any money on this blog, I don’t publicize the blog, and only occasionally post small excerpts of copyrighted works.


Disclosure
This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog does not accept any form of advertising, sponsorship, or paid insertions. We write for our own purposes. However, we may be influenced by our background, occupation, religion, political affiliation or experience.

The owner(s) of this blog will never receive compensation in any way from this blog.

The owner(s) of this blog is not compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the blog owners. If we claim or appear to be experts on a certain topic or product or service area, we will only endorse products or services that we believe, based on our expertise, are worthy of such endorsement. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider.

This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest.