30 December 2006

29 December 2006

Observing LocationTotL
Observational Period2100-0100 EST
Atmospheric Conditions
Cloud CoverScattered Clouds
Temperaturehigh 30s F
WindLight Breeze
HumidityLow
Feels LikeCold

It was basically clear but not really transparent. There was a glow of light cloud/haze around the moon and only the brightest stars were visible, but there were only a few passing clouds visible. Seeing was generally good but not steady.

TransparencyFair
SeeingII
Instruments8x21 Brunton compact binocular – Charlie
There really wasn’t any point in my taking out this wimpy binocular when Peter had a 10” scope there, so I didn’t.

10” Teleport - Peter
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway
Peter Tagatac
Hugo Capra
I had spent the afternoon helping to set up a booth at the New York Boat Show and had intended to go home and pick up the telescope and come back to the park but got out of the show too late to do that. I really wasn’t dressed to be standing outside all night but that is what I did anyway. My head was getting really cold by the end of the night as were my feet.

TargetMoon
ConstellationAri
CategoryLunar
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20061229.2100 EST
Comments
Lunation1039
PhaseWaxing Gibbous
Age9d11h58m
Elongation122.16°
% Illuminated76.6%
Magnitude-11.3
Altitude62.79°
Peter had said that it looked like the Moon was underwater tonight but it had cleared off a lot by the time I got there and the seeing was not too bad although there was a little wavering.

We started off observing at the bottom of Mare Imbrium in the neighborhood of Copernicus and Eratosthenes. Below Eratosthenes I picked up the ghost crater Stadius which must be too indistinct to be seen in binoculars or a small telescope because Cherrington doesn’t mention it at all. Grego says it is 69 km across and has low, thin, broken walls. He also mentions some rounded hills connection it to Eratosthenes, which I saw and Peter felt were more of a sinuous mountain range which I could see, and a chain of small craters, a catena, to the west of Stadius which I also picked up. Peter found another shorter chain passing through Stadius.

Peter called my attention to the still librated eastern limb where the far wall of Mare Smythii was strongly illuminated and the mare floor didn’t appear as dark as other mare, not much darker than the cratered highlands in front of it. Mare Australe appeared as an area of disconnected dark splotches inboard of the limb.

Back beneath Mare Imbrium we looked at Bullaldus and after some discussion about the interpretation of what constituted isolated Peter finally got me to find Rupes Recta, the Straight Wall, which I thought I had in my mine as being perpendicular and closer to Rupes Altai, where they are widely separated and more or less parallel to eachother.

We looked at Clavius and Peter pointed out a smaller crater with a central peak nearby which he identified as Tycho. I remarked at how small it looked and he said that was also his first reaction. This is probably the first time that I have actually seen the crater itself and not the ejecta blanket that surrounds it and becomes the rays. From there we looked on the other side of Clavius at another well formed crater with a central peak, possibly Morteus but I don’t remember a name now. You could plainly see wall slumping with at least two benches identifiable. Peter pointed out more small craters on the floor of Clavius and a discussion on frame of reference ensued as he was speaking of them being caused by ejecta and I was thinking of ejecta from Clavius and said it couldn’t be, while he was talking of ejecta from the Rutherfords. I am thinking that I want one of those big S&T laminated Moon maps that folds in quarters that you can fold however you want it to show whatever half of the Moon you need. It would be so much easier following each other’s directions if we could point at a nice big diagram.

Somewhere in this area we looked at an oblong crater pair that has the heel and ball-of-the-foot footprint morphology. It looked to me like the “heel” was a younger crater that had impacted on or near the wall of the older crater.

We looked in the neighborhood of Fra Mauro, where the Apollo 14 mission landed. Peter described it as a raised area and to me it looked like the shape of the state of Maine.

I slewed up to the Alps to see the Alpine Valley which looked like a flat gap through the mountains running away from me. What struck me was a series of peaks in the Alps to the NW of the Alpine Valley that had a somewhat circular layout about the size of Plato right next door. It looks like a crater with a central peak which Peter pointed out would have had a double peak.

Palus Somni looked very nice in this lighting as did the highlands between Mare Tranquilitatis, Mare Fecunditatis and Mare Nectaris.

A guy passed by who asked a bunch of questions about the Moon and was getting into how to counter assertions by people that we are in an earth-centered universe and that we didn’t land men on the Moon. From there we got into some light politics. Saturn was cresting the trees so Peter moved the scope back a bit so he could see it. While we were talking some oriental people passed by and asked what we were looking at so I invited them to take a look. They were impressed so Peter put Saturn back in the FoV and one of the women looked and said “That’s so cute.” Later some younger people stopped by and looked and said it looked like it was a black and white drawing.

TargetM35
ConstellationGem
CategoryDSO: OCl
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20061229 EST
CommentsPeter pointed the scope up and I thought he was after M45 but it turned out I was off by a factor of 10. I could see the cluster but had no idea what it was. The bright stars weren’t all that bright but there was even fainter stardust there if you looked carefully.

TargetM42
ConstellationOri
CategoryDSO:EmNeb
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20061229 EST
CommentsM42 looked very boxy with more of a hole in the nebulosity around the Trapezium that a fishmouth. There was an extension of the nebulosity on one side out a ways which was probably where M43 was. I haven’t seen it upside down in a while.

TargetM81 & M82
ConstellationUMa
CategoryDSO: Gal
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20061230.0010 EST
CommentsI could see one of them as a round ball and think I picked up the long cigar shaped one as well.

Disclaimer
This is my personal record of my astronomical observations. It was written for my personal reference. The only reason it is in a blog is that a blog is a very convenient way to get the records formatted more or less uniformly and they will, hopefully, have greater longevity at Google where the servers are backed up than on my hard drive which never gets backed up. I occasionally include copyrighted material in my posts. I do this to make it convenient for me to access things I think I might want to refer to again. I think of this like making a photocopy of something I read that I put in a file where I can find it when I want it. As I understand copyright law, as explained in the DVD series Copyright Compliance by Chip Taylor Communications, this use is allowed under the Fair Use doctrine since I am not making any money on this blog, I don’t publicize the blog, and only occasionally post small excerpts of copyrighted works.


Disclosure
This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog does not accept any form of advertising, sponsorship, or paid insertions. We write for our own purposes. However, we may be influenced by our background, occupation, religion, political affiliation or experience.

The owner(s) of this blog will never receive compensation in any way from this blog.

The owner(s) of this blog is not compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the blog owners. If we claim or appear to be experts on a certain topic or product or service area, we will only endorse products or services that we believe, based on our expertise, are worthy of such endorsement. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider.

This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest.