03 January 2007

3 January 2007

Observing LocationVP
Observational Period1245-1300 EST
Atmospheric Conditions
Cloud CoverScattered Clouds
cirrus, mares tails
TemperatureClear45°F
WindCalm
gusting to
Moderate Breeze
HumidityLow
Feels LikeCool

Another beautiful day before a soggy weekend.

TransparencyExcellent
SeeingI
InstrumentsCanon 15x50 IS binocular w/Baader AstroSolar filter film - Charlie
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway

Target Sunspots
ConstellationSgr
CategorySolar
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20070103.1245 EST
Comments
Distance
Light Time
0.983AU
8m11s
Angular Size32'32"
Heliographic Latitude
(B0)
-3.29°
Heliographic Longitude
(L0)
63.18°
Position Angle
(P)
+0.93°
Carrington rotation number
(CR)
2051

Earth is at perihelion at 2000 EST tonight. It is a HUGE Sun :)

DateDistance
Light Time
Diameter
Magnitude
perihelion3Jan07
2000 EST
147,093,602 km
8m11S
32'32"
-26.7
aphelion9Jul07
1900 EDT
152,097,053 km
8m27s
31'28"
-26.7

Things look pretty much as they did yesterday, except now I know what I am seeing.


SOHO MDI graphic

 Groups SpotsR
North 1 111
South2 3 23
Total3 4 34
R = (Groups * 10) + Spots)

Group 933
Heliographic Latitude -5°
Heliographic Longitude 35°
Mcintosh SystemCho
The p spot looks like a hyphen surrounded by penumbra. The f spot is small but easily seen.
Group 934
Heliographic Latitude +3°
Heliographic Longitude 31°
Mcintosh SystemAxx
This appears to be a solitary spot without penumbra.
Group 930
Heliographic Latitude -10°
Heliographic Longitude 14°
Mcintosh SystemHsx
This large spot appears circular and is surrounded by a small penumbra.



This chart shows how much dimmer a star will appear at lower altitude than when it is hear the zenith.



Observing LocationTotL
Observational Period2030-2215 EST
Atmospheric Conditions
Cloud CoverScattered Clouds
becoming
Broken Clouds
Temperature48°F
Wind6MPH
gusting to
20MPH
HumidityModerate
Feels LikeCold

I don't care what NOAA says, there IS a wind chill effect at temperatures above 40°F. It felt much colder tonight than what the thermometer was reading.

When I got home I could barely make out part of the Moon through the clouds. When I came home from dinner it was more readily seen but still behind a veil of cloud too thick for observing. I had given up on it but by 1900 EST it was above the clouds in a predominantly clear sky so I got dressed for standing in the cold and headed downtown,.

Transparency wasn't too bad but seeing was problematic.

TransparencyFair
SeeingIII
InstrumentsSAR: Coulter CT-100 Newtonian reflector - Charlie
  • Celestron Omni 20mm
  • Celestron Omni 2x Barlow
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway
Kin Lee

TargetMoon
ConstellationGem
CategoryLunar
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20070103.2030 EST
Comments
Lunation1039
PhaseWaning Gibbous
Full +0d11h32m
Age14d11h28m
Elongation172.68°W
% Illuminated99.6%
Magnitude-12.6
Altitude38.51°
Distance
Light Time
380,000 km
1.27s
Angular
Size
31'28"
Tonight the terminator was visible from around Casatus to around Pontecoulant. That whole area looked like someone had lightly pressed a drill into it. Tycho looked like the naval of a naval orange. There was little discernible relief at 21x. I tried using the Barlow but the seeing wouldn't support it.

TargetSaturn
ConstellationLeo
CategoryPlanet
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20070103.2140 EST
Comments
Object
Class
Classical Planet
Elongation139.049°W
Magnitude0.2
Altitude18.72°
Ring
Inclination
12.70°
Angular
Ring Size
44.6"x9.8"
Distance
Light Time
(from Earth)
8.42 AU
1g10m
Angular
Size
19.7"x14.4"
Distance
(from Sun)
9.18 AU
Saturn was rising out of the low trees and into the big tree so I was trying to observe it through the moving branches and varying air currents. It was golden and circular. I didn't even try the Barlow on it.

TargetOrion Nebula, M42, NGC1976
ConstellationOri
CategoryDSO: EmNeb
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20070103.2150 EST
CommentsThe nebula was barely visible tonight. Averted vision didn't seem to make a difference.

Disclaimer
This is my personal record of my astronomical observations. It was written for my personal reference. The only reason it is in a blog is that a blog is a very convenient way to get the records formatted more or less uniformly and they will, hopefully, have greater longevity at Google where the servers are backed up than on my hard drive which never gets backed up. I occasionally include copyrighted material in my posts. I do this to make it convenient for me to access things I think I might want to refer to again. I think of this like making a photocopy of something I read that I put in a file where I can find it when I want it. As I understand copyright law, as explained in the DVD series Copyright Compliance by Chip Taylor Communications, this use is allowed under the Fair Use doctrine since I am not making any money on this blog, I don’t publicize the blog, and only occasionally post small excerpts of copyrighted works.


Disclosure
This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog does not accept any form of advertising, sponsorship, or paid insertions. We write for our own purposes. However, we may be influenced by our background, occupation, religion, political affiliation or experience.

The owner(s) of this blog will never receive compensation in any way from this blog.

The owner(s) of this blog is not compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the blog owners. If we claim or appear to be experts on a certain topic or product or service area, we will only endorse products or services that we believe, based on our expertise, are worthy of such endorsement. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider.

This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest.