02 January 2007

2 January 2007

Damn!

Today was a perfect day to observe the sunrise Manhattan Henge and I forgot about it. Now I have to wait until December for the next one.



Observing LocationVP
Observational Period1145-1200 EST
Atmospheric Conditions
Cloud CoverClear
TemperatureCool
WindModerate Breeze
HumidityLow
Feels LikeCold

It is perfectly clear out and is supposed to be warmer than usual for this time of the year but the wind is making it feel cold.

TransparencyExcellent
SeeingII
InstrumentsCanon 15x50 IS binocular w/Baader AstroSolar filter film - Charlie
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway

Target Sunspots
ConstellationSgr
CategorySolar
Time20070102.1245 EST
Comments
Heliographic Latitude
(B0)
-3.17°
Heliographic Longitude
(L0)
76.90°
Position Angle
(P)
+1.43°
Carrington rotation number
(CR)
2051

I am not sure how to interpret what I am seeing. When I first saw 930/933 rotate back on 31Dec06 NOAA said I was seeing two groups there. Now there is a spot behind 933 that I am interpreting as part of it but it is far enough away that it could also be its own group. There is also another large spot that is still over in the foreshortening zone. I am going to say it is three spots.

 Groups SpotsR
North1 1 11
South2 3 23
Total3 4 34
R = (Groups * 10) + Spots)

Group 933
Heliographic Latitude -3°
Heliographic Longitude 38°
Mcintosh SystemCho
Southern Hemisphere
The spot is large with a smaller spot trailing it. There is a broad penumbra around the primary spot.
Group 934
Heliographic Latitude +2°
Heliographic Longitude 35°
Mcintosh SystemAxx
Northern Hemisphere
This is a small group above the equator and trailing 933 slightly
Group 935?
Heliographic Latitude -6°
Heliographic Longitude 17°
Mcintosh SystemCsx
Southern Hemisphere
This spot does not appear on either the NOAA or the Rayben Systems solar maps.
This spot is still too close to the limb to make out much detail on it but it is large and has a penumbra. There appears to be plage or possibly some small spots between it and the limb but it is only a hint of something there. It might resolve in SAR with a few more powers of magnification.




I am starting to research lunar cratering and have come across an interesting web site canned thunderbolts.info that basically says that at least some of the theories of impact cratering are a bunch of hogwash. They propose, as many have before, that craters with central peaks and/or ray systems were caused by electrical discharges. They only thing I didn't find on the page was an explanation of where the other end of the spark was.

Other reports that are going to take some time to read through:




SpaceWeather.com posted a new numbered SOHO image late this evening and now they are showing that Group 930, which they previously said had been renumbered 933 is the second big group that I first saw this morning and called "935?". So Groups 933 and 934 are new this time around and Group 930 is a second timer.



Observing LocationMetOval
Observational Period2200-2300 EST
Atmospheric Conditions
Cloud CoverClear
Temperature44°F
WindLight Breeze
HumidityLow
Feels LikeCold

It if clear out but the near-full Moon is making the sky look charcoal gray.

TransparencyExcellent
SeeingI
InstrumentsCanon 15x50 IS binocular - Charlie
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway

TargetMoon
ConstellationGem
CategoryLunar
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20070102.2200 EST
Comments
Lunation1039
PhaseWaxing Gibbous
Full -0d10h58m
Age13d12g58m
Elongation172.56°E
% Illuminated99.6%
Magnitude-12.6
Distance
Light Time
375,000 km
1.25s
Angular Size31'55"
Altitude66.12°
The Moon is uncomfortably high for binoculars. I figured with the Moon this close to being full there wouldn't be a lot to see so brought the binocular when I would have been better off with the telescope.

I started reading Cherrington and there were three paragraphs about how the description of the terminator might not agree with what I was seeing because of the tilt of the moon and Earth. The first paragraph talked about drawing a line from Posidonous through Copernicous to the terminator. For me to reach the terminator I would have had to have drawn a line from Plato through Tycho. I put Cherrington away and just observed.

  • Tycho Looks big and chalky white with a thin gray ring separating it from its rays.
  • the rays of Tycho and Copernicus are prominent.
  • Kepler has a broad, lopsided gray ring around it.
  • The limb looks lumpy from around Bogislawsky over to Bailly.
  • The order of apparent decreasing darkness of features is
    1. Plato
    2. Mare Tranquilitatis
    3. Mare Crisium
    4. Mare Serenitatis
    5. Mare Fecunditatis
  • Libration is decreasing in the SW but I can still see Mare Australia although I don't have enough magnification to tell anything other than that it is there.

TargetSaturn
ConstellationLeo
CategoryPlanet
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20070112.2225 EST
Comments
Distance
from Earth
8.43 AU
Distance
from Sun
9.18 AU
Elongation137.98°W
Ring Inclination12.67°
Magnitude-0.2
Altitude21.72°
The ring inclination has increased to the point that they look more like a plate now and not the former cigar.

TargetPraeaspe, the Beehive Cluster, M44
ConstellationCnc
CategoryDSO: OCl
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20070102.2230 EST
CommentsThe stars of the Beehive are bright tonight and have a more orderly appearance than usual. The central stars look like checkers on a board.

TargetM67, MGC6282
ConstellationCnc
CategoryDSO: OCl
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20070102.2235 EST
CommentsI saw more in the area than is indicated in Planetarium. It is sparse, at least in its brighter stars, which are the only ones I can see.

TargetC48, NGC2775
ConstellationCnc
CategoryDSO: SpGal
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20070102.2250 EST
CommentsMy Planetarium catalog says this is an obvious spiral galaxy. I suspect that the obvious adjective applies to the shape and not its visibility. I detected it, but nothing more.

Disclaimer
This is my personal record of my astronomical observations. It was written for my personal reference. The only reason it is in a blog is that a blog is a very convenient way to get the records formatted more or less uniformly and they will, hopefully, have greater longevity at Google where the servers are backed up than on my hard drive which never gets backed up. I occasionally include copyrighted material in my posts. I do this to make it convenient for me to access things I think I might want to refer to again. I think of this like making a photocopy of something I read that I put in a file where I can find it when I want it. As I understand copyright law, as explained in the DVD series Copyright Compliance by Chip Taylor Communications, this use is allowed under the Fair Use doctrine since I am not making any money on this blog, I don’t publicize the blog, and only occasionally post small excerpts of copyrighted works.


Disclosure
This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog does not accept any form of advertising, sponsorship, or paid insertions. We write for our own purposes. However, we may be influenced by our background, occupation, religion, political affiliation or experience.

The owner(s) of this blog will never receive compensation in any way from this blog.

The owner(s) of this blog is not compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the blog owners. If we claim or appear to be experts on a certain topic or product or service area, we will only endorse products or services that we believe, based on our expertise, are worthy of such endorsement. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider.

This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest.