11 January 2007

10 January 2007

Observing LocationParkchester subway station
Observational Period0610-0710 EST
Atmospheric Conditions
Cloud CoverScattered Clouds
Temperature33°F
WindLight Breeze
HumidityModerate
Feels Like28°F Wind Chill

It was not a good morning for observing. I never found Mars. There were thick clouds on the horizon.

TransparencyFair
SeeingII
InstrumentsCanon 15x50 IS binocular - Charlie
Minolta X700 SLR w/500mm catadioptric lens - Charlie
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway

0427 ESTJupiter Rises (-1.8m)
0522 ESTPluto Rises (14.0m)
0542 ESTMars Rises (1.5m)
Astronomical Twilight Begins
0554 ESTAltair Rises (0.76m)

TargetMoon
Constellation
CategoryLunar
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20070110.0600 EST
Comments
20d20h58m
Lunation1039
PhaseWaning Gibbous
Last Quarter -1d1h45m
Age
Distance
Light Time
(from earth)
400,000 km
1.33S
Elongation101.59°
% Illuminated60.0%
Magnitude-10.5
Angular
Size
29'55"
Altitude41.93°
I stopped off along the way and made some pictures of the near-First quarter Moon as insurance in case they got the forecast for tomorrow wrong.

The last time I made quarter moon photographs I was surprised that the terminator was not vertical when the first quarter Moon transited. I had figured that since the first quarter Moon was tipped to the east in the evening, today's near last quarter Moon, transiting in the morning, would be tipped to the west. But this Moon is also tipped to the east. I remembered back to yesterday afternoon when I rotated that first picture to vertical in Photoshop and I did it in two 10° increments followed by a few 1° increments. So what I am seeing is the tilt of Earth's axis. To prove this theory to myself I looked up the quarter moon closest to the equinoxes and solstices and found that at the time of transit:

2
0
0
7
Vernal Equinox Summer Solstice Autumnal Equinox Winter Solstice
20Mar07
1907 EDT
21Jun07
1306 EDT
23Sep07
0451 EDT
22Dec07
0208 EST
First Quarter First Quarter First Quarter First Quarter
25Mar07
1917 EDT
22Jun07
1910 EDT
19Sep07
1900 EDT
17Dec07
1815 EST
2
0
0
8
Vernal Equinox Summer Solstice Autumnal Equinox Winter Solstice
20Mar08
0048 EDT
20Jun08
1859 EDT
22Sep08
1044 EDT
21Dec07
0804 EST
First Quarter Last Quarter Last Quarter Last Quarter
14Mar08
1931 EDT
26Jun08
0646 EDT
22Sep08
0702 EDT
19Dec08
0649 EST
2
0
0
9
Vernal Equinox Summer Solstice Autumnal Equinox Winter Solstice
20Mar09
0644 EDT
21Jun09
0045 EDT
22Sep09
1618 EDT
21Dec09
1246 EST
First Quarter Last Quarter Last Quarter Last Quarter
18Mar09
0648 EDT
29Jun09
1907 EDT
26Sep09
1926 EDT
24Dec09
1754 EST
Cartes du Ciel graphics
After I got everything nice and clean I figured I should extend the study out at least another year to show that the observation does repeat from year to year. And it does not.

The terminator at time of transit on the equinoxes is always nearly vertical. The terminator of first quarter moons on the solstices always point in opposite directions. The terminator of last quarter moons on solstices also point in opposite directions. But the terminator of the last quarter summer solstice moon in 2008 points in the opposite direction from the similar moon a year later. And the same thing is true of winter solstice last quarter moons in 2009 and 2009.

I am back to square one again. The only generalization I can draw is that the terminator of the quarter moon nearest an equinox will be vertical and that those of the quarter moons nearest the solstices will be inclined to one direction or the other at an angle of 20°-25°.

I realized while creating the images in Cartes du Ciel that I have no idea how that program deals with time, specifically Daylight Saving Time. And the December events are Standard Time while all of the other events are Daylight Saving Time. I am going to treat the December events as though they were Dayling Saving Time just because it will be easier to recreate three images than nine.

0615 EST Astronomical Twilight Ends
Nautical Twilight Begins
0639 ESTKaus Borealis, λ Sgr, Rises (2.82m)
0641 ESTNash, γ Sgr Rises (2.98m)
0648 ESTC/2006 P1 (McNaught) Rises (2.8m)
0649 ESTNautical Twilight Ends
Civil Twilight Begins

TargetC/2006 P1 (McNaught)
ConstellationAql
CategoryComets/Asteroids/Meteors
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
2007 EST
CommentsNot Seen
Where I wasn't able to see brighter Mars I was not surprised that I wasn't able to locate the comet again this morning.

0719 ESTCivil Twilight Ends
sun Rises



Observing LocationBPO
Observational Period1630-1745 EST
Atmospheric Conditions
Cloud CoverScattered Clouds
Temperature33°F
Wind12 MPH
gusting to
26 MPH
HumidityLow
Feels LikeCold

There were low clouds on the eastern horizon. The wind was strong, buffeting the tripod and watering the eyes.

TransparencyGood
SeeingII
InstrumentsSAR: Coulter CT-100 Newtonian reflector - Charlie
  • Celestron Omni 20mm
  • Celestron Omni 2x Barlow

Canon 15x50 IS binocular w/Baader AstroSolar filter film - Charlie
Minolta X700 SLR w/500mm catadioptric lens and 2x telextender
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway
Amy from CSP

Target Sunspots
ConstellationSgr
CategorySolar
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20070110.1630 EST
Comments
Distance
Light Time
0.983 AU
8m11s
Angular Size32'32”
Heliographic Latitude
(B0)
-4.08°
Heliographic Longitude
(L0)
328.94°
Position Angle
(P)
-2.52°
Carrington rotation number
(CR)
2052

By the time MTA eventually got me there the Sun was too low into the haze to see it well. I could see one large spot toward the center of the disk and a smaller spot preceding it. There was a new group shown on the SpaceWeather index map but I did not are it.

 Groups SpotsR
North0 0 0
South2 2 22
Total2 2 22
R = (Groups * 10) + Spots)
1647 ESTSun Sets
Civil Twilight Begins

TargetVenus
Constellation Cap
CategoryPlanet
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20070110.1655 EST
Comments
Object
Class
Classical Planet
PhaseWaning Gibbous
Elongation18.27°
% Illuminated95.3%
Magnitude-3.9
Altitude11.85°
Distance
Light Time
(from Earth)
1.59 AU
13m15s
Distance
(from Sun)
0.728 AU
I found Venus shortly after sunset and used it as a base for searching for the comet.

TargetC/2006 P1 (McNaught)
ConstellationAql
CategoryComets/Asteroids/Meteors
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20070110.1505 EST
CommentsIt took longer after sunset today but I easily saw the comet when I slewed over it trying to see what Amy thought she might be seeing. It seemed to be much farther north tonight than it was last night but since I was not seeing it against background stars, and my geographic reference had changed, I can't be sure of that. It did move to the north faster than Venus seemed to. The tail seemed longer tonight and I estimated it at about 1.5°. It was visible naked-eye until 1730 EST when it set into the cloud bank at 0.75° altitude.

TargetIridium 81 Flare
Constellation
CategorySatellite
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20070110.1713 EST
CommentsNot Seen
I forgot about this Mag -5 flare.
1717 ESTCivi Twilight Ends
Nautical Twilight Begins
1737 ESTC/2006 P1 (McNaught) Sets (2.6m)
1751 ESTNautical Twilight Ends
Astronomical Twilight Begins
1812 ESTVenus Sets (-3.9m)
1824 ESTAstronomical Twilight Ends

Disclaimer
This is my personal record of my astronomical observations. It was written for my personal reference. The only reason it is in a blog is that a blog is a very convenient way to get the records formatted more or less uniformly and they will, hopefully, have greater longevity at Google where the servers are backed up than on my hard drive which never gets backed up. I occasionally include copyrighted material in my posts. I do this to make it convenient for me to access things I think I might want to refer to again. I think of this like making a photocopy of something I read that I put in a file where I can find it when I want it. As I understand copyright law, as explained in the DVD series Copyright Compliance by Chip Taylor Communications, this use is allowed under the Fair Use doctrine since I am not making any money on this blog, I don’t publicize the blog, and only occasionally post small excerpts of copyrighted works.


Disclosure
This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog does not accept any form of advertising, sponsorship, or paid insertions. We write for our own purposes. However, we may be influenced by our background, occupation, religion, political affiliation or experience.

The owner(s) of this blog will never receive compensation in any way from this blog.

The owner(s) of this blog is not compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the blog owners. If we claim or appear to be experts on a certain topic or product or service area, we will only endorse products or services that we believe, based on our expertise, are worthy of such endorsement. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider.

This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest.