07 November 2007

7 November 2007

I got an email today saying that only one of my observations of 17p?Holmes is going to be used at Recent News and Observations because the rest of the were not in the ballpark. That doesn’t surprise me since this is the first time I have ever tried this. I am told that it is partly my inexperience, that new people almost always underestimate the magnitude. They also said that the light pollution is hampering me which doesn’t make sense to me. If I am comparing the brightness of two objects I don’t think it should matter how much light-pollution the light is passing through as long as it is uniform over both objects.

Last night I added the average of all the reports other people have made (that have been used) to my chart. My magnitude assessments are real far off from what every one else has been reporting. My comet diameters, however, are close to the average and do follow the trend others have reported.



STS-120, Discovery, landed a short while ago. I watched it on the net and listened to the press conference afterwards.

Having been able to have repaired the torn solar panel is a clear vindication of the need for sending humans into orbit – on some missions. I think a lot of what gets done in space can be done by robots, and that may mean the failure of some missions because there is no human to make a repair, but that is a risk that needs to be taken in some circumstances.

It was interesting to see the politics going on at the press conference. Michael Griffin, the NASA administrator talks the politics that Congress needs to hear to keep his agency funded. Once he makes a comment on something that had been thrown out to everyone all the others are mum. I thought there was one point where there might have been some disagreement between the administrator and one of the directors over shuttle tiles but the director assented to the administrator’s assessment when he was asked to, but it seemed to have been half-hearted.

One of the reporters asked about the retirement (and cannibalization) of Atlantis. They said that that is still supposed to happen after the Hubble Space Telescope servicing mission (11 day mission to launch no earlier than 7Aug08), but that they will continually reassess the situation until that time and it is still possible that Atlantis will be refurbished and remain in service since it would give them increased flexibility if something should happen to one of the two remaining shuttles.



Astronomical Catalogs
DesignatorNameObjects
Upper case letter, 2 upper case letters or V and a number
circle around dot
 sariable stars
B ###
dashed outline
BarnardDSO: DrkNeb
C ###CaldwellDSOs
Ced ###
green splotch
CederbaldDSO: BrNeb
Cr ###
yellow circle
CollinderDSO: OCl
h ###
dot with a line through it
John Herscheldouble stars
IC ####Index CatalogueDSOs
LDN ###
dashed outline
LyndsDSO: DrkNeb
M ###Charles MessierDSOs
Mel ###
yellow circle
MelotteDSO: OCl
NGCM ####New General CatalogueDSOs
O*Sigma;
dot with a line through it
Otto Struvedouble stars
PK ###
green dot over cross
Perek-KohoutekDSO: PlNeb
Sh2-###
green splotch
SharplessDSO: BrNeb
Tr ###
yellow circle
TrumplerDSO: OCl
vdB ###
green splotch
van den BerghDSO: BrNeb
β
dot with a line through it
S.W. Burnhamdouble Stars
Δ
dot with a line through it
James Dunlopdouble stars
Σ
dot with a line through it
Wilhelm Struvedouble stars



Here is a long term project for this coming year. R Cas (RA 23h53m00s) and V Cas (23h07m00s) are both long period variable stars that come to peak brightness during 2008. Since Cassiopea is nearly circumpolar we will have an opportunity to ovserve these stars dim and brighten. I don't know yet when V Cas was last at its brightness peak but it next peaks on 12Jul08. Its brightness range is Mag 12.2 - 7.9. R Cas is just coming off a brightness peak (30Oct07) and will dim then brighten to its peak on 21Dec08. Its brightness range is -12.6 - 7.0. Both of these objects will disappear for a time in SAR and then brighten and at their brightest I think that they should be visible in my binoculars.



Observing LocationMO
Observational Period2230-2330 EST
Atmospheric Conditions
Cloud CoverClear
Temperature40°F;
WindCalm
HumidityModerate
Feels LikeCold

They have freeze warnings up for tonight.

The sly is very clear, I saw 6 Pleiades and two stars in Orion’s Sword in the glare of the floodlights.

TransparencyExcellent
SeeingI
InstrumentsGolden Gate 7x35 binocular – Charlie SAR: Coulter CT-100 Newtonian reflector - Charlie
  • Celestron Omni 20mm (21x)
  • Celestron Omni 2x Barlow
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway

Target17P/Holmes
ConstellationPer
CategoryComet
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20071107.2230 EST
CommentsThe comet was easy to find tonight in both the 20mm eyepiece and with it Barlowed. I made my brightness assessment in the binocular first. I have changed my technique since I started using the binocular. The Recent News and Observations web page recommends three techniques for assessing a comet and says each one has advantages depending on the degree of compactness of the comet (DC) but doesn’t go into a lot of detail on what to do.
  • In-Out
  • Out-Out
  • Way Out
One thing I picked up on, for the Out-Out technique I guess was to get the comet and star out of focus until they both represent the same size disk in the eyepiece. I have found that the comet is so big that I can never get a star that big, but sometimes the stars disappear before I reach the end of the focus travel. So I have been using a modified Out-Out technique where I out focus until either the star disappears or I run out of travel on the focuser and then see which object looks brighter. I have done this the past three days and it seams easy and got me results that were more in line with those of others two days ago.
ObjectMag.Description
β Tau1.65brighter
&gamma Gem1.93Brighter
β Per2.10Brighter
γ Per2.15Brighter
θ Aur2.65Brighter
ζ Per2.84Brighter
μ Gem2.87Brighter
ε Per2.90Brighter
γ Per2.91Brighter
ζ Tau2.98Brighter
δ Per3.01Brighter
17P/Holmes3.01 
ε Aur3.03Brighter
ε Gem3.06Dimmer
η Aur3.18Brighter
ρ Per3.32Dimmer
η Cas3.46Dimmer
γ Tau3.65Dimmer
ζ Aur3.69Dimmer
ζ Cas3.69Dimmer
δ Aur3.72Dimmer
η Per3.77Dimmer
ο Per3.84Brighter
ε Cas 3.95Dimmer
Alpha Perseus Association Dimmer
Fishhook Dimmer
Hyades Dimmer
I am using my Pocket Star Atlas to identify what stars I am looking at and finding stars in it of a similar size dot to look at to refine the assessment but it does not show magnitudes like Planetarium so I am not swayed in my judgment by the numbers.

I switched to the telescope to make my size estimation.

Mag.FoVCountDia.
21.6x2.3°5.50.42°
25.09’
25’23’
43.2x~1°2.60.38°
23.08’
23’05”
Average0.40
24.00’
24’00”
There is a little bit bigger span between the low and high power assessments than I would like. It may be due in part to not knowing exactly what my FoV is with the Barlow installed.

Disclaimer
This is my personal record of my astronomical observations. It was written for my personal reference. The only reason it is in a blog is that a blog is a very convenient way to get the records formatted more or less uniformly and they will, hopefully, have greater longevity at Google where the servers are backed up than on my hard drive which never gets backed up. I occasionally include copyrighted material in my posts. I do this to make it convenient for me to access things I think I might want to refer to again. I think of this like making a photocopy of something I read that I put in a file where I can find it when I want it. As I understand copyright law, as explained in the DVD series Copyright Compliance by Chip Taylor Communications, this use is allowed under the Fair Use doctrine since I am not making any money on this blog, I don’t publicize the blog, and only occasionally post small excerpts of copyrighted works.


Disclosure
This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog does not accept any form of advertising, sponsorship, or paid insertions. We write for our own purposes. However, we may be influenced by our background, occupation, religion, political affiliation or experience.

The owner(s) of this blog will never receive compensation in any way from this blog.

The owner(s) of this blog is not compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the blog owners. If we claim or appear to be experts on a certain topic or product or service area, we will only endorse products or services that we believe, based on our expertise, are worthy of such endorsement. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider.

This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest.