07 November 2007

5 November 2007

Observing LocationPSC
Observational Period1930-1900 EST
Atmospheric Conditions
Cloud CoverClear
Temperature53&def;F
WindGentle Breeze
HumidityModerate
Feels LikeCool

Pleasant fall weather.

TransparencyFair
SeeingII
Instruments Golden Gate 7x35 binocular - Charlie
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway

Target17P/Holmes
ConstellationPer
CategoryComet
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20071105.1830 EST
CommentsThe comet is difficult to see tonight. I think there may be some high, thin clouds up there that are obscuring it. Transparency isn’t that great.

I couldn’t see any stars of comparable brightness naked-eye so had to make my comparison through the binocular. I concentrated on the stars of the Alpha Perseus Association and the “fishhook.”

ObjectMag.Description
α Per1.79brighter
δ Per3.01brighter
48 Per3.96equal
μ Per4.12equal
17P/Holmes~4.24 
λ Per4.25dimmer
ψ Per4.32equal
ο Per4.36equal
HIP 200704.60dimmer
34 Per4.67brighter
HIP 161474.99dimmer
HIP 157705.32dimmer
HIP 183965.39dimmer
HIP 162105.58dimmer



Observing LocationMetOval
Observational Period1930-2000 EST
Atmospheric Conditions
Cloud CoverClear
Temperature53°F
WindCalm
HumidityModerate
Feels LikeCool

I was having trouble finding stars here. The light pollution wasn’t helping any but it was getting ready to rain.

TransparencyFair-Poor
SeeingII
Instruments SAR: Coulter CT-100 Newtonian reflector - Charlie
  • Celestron Omni 20mm (21x)
  • Celestron Omni 2x Barlow
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway

Target17P/Holmes
ConstellationPer
CategoryComet
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20071105.1930 EST
Comments17P/Holmes looked like a faint smudge at 21.6x and I could not find it at all at 42.2x. I estimated that nine comets would fit across the 2.3° FoV making the comet 15.33’ or 15’20” in diameter.

Tonight I submitted a summary of my observations to date to Recent News and Observations.

  • 2007 Oct. 26.13 UT: m1=3.01, Dia.= -, DC=7, Tail: none ... NE ... Charlie Ridgway (Bronx, NYC, New York, USA)
  • 2007 Oct. 30.97 UT: m1=2.96, Dia.= -, DC=7, Tail: none ... NE ... Charlie Ridgway (Corona, NYC, New York, USA)
  • 2007 Oct. 31.08 UT: m1=3.56, Dia.= -, DC=7, Tail: none ... NE ... Charlie Ridgway (Bronx, NYC, New York, USA)
  • 2007 Oct. 31.15 UT: m1=3.02, Dia.= -, DC=7, Tail: none ... 107:, f/4, 21.6x & 43.2x ... Charlie Ridgway (Bronx, NYC, New York, USA)
  • 2007 Nov. 01.24 UT: m1= -, Dia.=9.5', DC=7, Tail: none ... 107L, f/4, 21.6x & 43.2x ... Charlie Ridgway (Bronx, NYC, New York, USA)
  • 2007 Nov. 02.10 UT: m1= -, Dia.=12', DC=7, Tail: none ... 107L, f/4, 21.6x & 43.2x ... Charlie Ridgway (Bronx, NYC, New York, USA)
  • 2007 Nov. 03.08 UT: m1=3.75 , Dia.=16.8', DC=7, Tail: none ... NE (m1), 107L f/4, 21.6x & 43.2x (Dia.) ...Charlie Ridgway (Bronx, NYC, New York, USA)
  • 2007 Nov. 03.96 UT: m1=3.69, Dia.= -, DC=7, Tail: none ... NE ... Charlie Ridgway (Bronx, NYC, New York, USA)
  • 2007 Nov. 05.98 UT: m1-4.2, Dia.= -, DC-2, Tail: none ... 7x35B ... Charlie Ridgway (Bronx, NYC, New York, USA) [tonight is the first night i have not seen the comet naked-eye due to high clouds reducing contrast]
  • 2007 Nov. 06.02 UT: m1= -, Dia.= 15.33', DC=2, TaIl: none ... 107L f/4 21.3x ... Charlie Ridgway (Bronx, NYC, New York, USA) [light-pollution and high clouds making observations difficult]



I have been reading The Book of Constellations, by Robin Kerrod, again and am noticing how many of the constellations have interlocking mythologies. I always think about Cepheus, Cassiopeia, Andromeda, Cetus and Perseus being related but there are a bunch more as well. So I decided to make a list and maybe, if I can get the coordinates for the constellation boundaries, create a chart showing where they are in relation to each other.

  • Cepheus
  • Cassiopeia
  • Andromeda
  • Cetus
  • Perseus
  • Pegasus
  • Hercules
  • Leo
  • Draco
  • Hydra
  • Cancer
  • Centaurus
  • Taurus
  • Ursa Major
  • Ursa Minor
  • Cetus
  • Capricornus
  • Delphimus
  • Aquarius
  • Aquilla
  • (Eridanus)
  • Pisces Austrinus
  • Aries
  • Argo Navis (Carina, Vela, Puppis)
  • Draco
  • Lyra
  • Bootes
  • (Canes Venatici)
  • Ursa Major
  • Ursa Minor
  • Orion
  • Ursa Major
  • Ursa Minor
  • Lepus
  • Taurus (Pleiades)
  • Scorpius
  • Centaurus
  • Herculels
  • Gemini
  • Argo Navis (Carina, Vela, Puppis)
  • Ophiuchus
  • Serpens
  • Cygnus
  • Gemini
  • Equeleus
  • Crater
  • Corvus
  • Hydra
  • Aquila
  • Crater
  • Aquila
  • Sagitta
  • Hercules
  • Ursa Major
  • Ursa Minor
  • Bootes
  • Libra
  • Scorpius
The water realm
  • Cetus
  • Pisces
  • Aquarius
  • Pisces Austrinus

A also noticed that Zeus (Jupiter) seems to have been quite the lady’s man. Here is the list I have come up with or stars or constellations that either bore him children or were his children. There are other women he was involved with who I have not identified stars or constellations which they are associated with.

Bore Children to ZeusA Child of Zeus
  • Taurus (Europa)
  • Ursa Major
  • Virgo
  • (Aquarius)
  • (Auriga)
  • Bootes
  • Hercules
  • Gemini (Pollux)
  • Perseus
  • Ursa Minor
  • Capricornus (suckled Zeus)
  • Centaurus (possibly a son of Zeus)
  • Cygnus (Zeus himself when he seduced Leda)
The following constellations do not have a mythology associated with them, primarily because the constellations are southern hemisphere constellations which were not created until after all the myths had been dispensed.

  • Antilla
  • Apes
  • Ara
  • Canes Venatici*
  • Carina* (Argo Navis)
  • Chamaeleon
  • Circinus
  • Columba
  • Crux
  • Dorado
  • Fornax
  • Grus
  • Horologium
  • Hydrus
  • Indus
  • Lacerta
  • Leo Minor
  • Libra
  • Lupus
  • Lynx
  • Mensa
  • Microscopium
  • Monoceros
  • Musca (Australis)
  • Norma (et Regula
  • Octans
  • Pavo
  • Phoenix
  • Pictor
  • Pisces Austrinus
  • Puppis* (Argo Navis)
  • Pyxis
  • Reticulum (Phomboidalis)
  • Sculptor
  • Scutum
  • Sextans
  • Telescopium
  • Triangulum
  • Triangulum Australae
  • Tucana
  • Vela* (Argo Navis)
  • Volans
* modern constellation with a mythology belonging to a larger defunct constellation
classical constellation without a mythology

Disclaimer
This is my personal record of my astronomical observations. It was written for my personal reference. The only reason it is in a blog is that a blog is a very convenient way to get the records formatted more or less uniformly and they will, hopefully, have greater longevity at Google where the servers are backed up than on my hard drive which never gets backed up. I occasionally include copyrighted material in my posts. I do this to make it convenient for me to access things I think I might want to refer to again. I think of this like making a photocopy of something I read that I put in a file where I can find it when I want it. As I understand copyright law, as explained in the DVD series Copyright Compliance by Chip Taylor Communications, this use is allowed under the Fair Use doctrine since I am not making any money on this blog, I don’t publicize the blog, and only occasionally post small excerpts of copyrighted works.


Disclosure
This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog does not accept any form of advertising, sponsorship, or paid insertions. We write for our own purposes. However, we may be influenced by our background, occupation, religion, political affiliation or experience.

The owner(s) of this blog will never receive compensation in any way from this blog.

The owner(s) of this blog is not compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the blog owners. If we claim or appear to be experts on a certain topic or product or service area, we will only endorse products or services that we believe, based on our expertise, are worthy of such endorsement. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider.

This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest.