04 November 2007

3 November 2007

Observing LocationPSC & MetOval
Observational Period2145-2300 EDT
Atmospheric Conditions
Cloud CoverClear
Temperature48°F
WindCalm
HumidityLow
Feels LikeChilly

It was chilly but there was no wind or perceptible humidity so it wasn’t bad.
It didn’t look great during the day. When I was out around 2000 EDT it looked like the clouds were breaking up. It looks like extratropical cyclone Noel sucked all the clouds out as it moved north. Every time I heard a forecast today they changed the amound of cloud cover up or down but it ended up mostly clear and we got at least that.

I want to say that transparency was excellent but can’t bring myself to do it. I think Orion should have been high enough for me to have seen it over the apartment buildings and trees, and I have previously seen it from where I was observing, but I couldn’t find it. Views other places were great. I didn’t count the Pleiades but they were easily visible and the Hyades looked very crisp in the binocular. There was no wavering of the image in either optic.

TransparencyGood
SeeingI
Instruments Golden Gate 8x21 binocular - Charlie
SAR: Coulter CT-100 Newtonian reflector - Charlie
  • Celestron Omni 20mm (21x)
  • Celestron Omni 2x Barlow
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway

I looked out the kitchen window at 2145 to see if there were any stars out and saw one very bright one then noticed that it appeared to be moving. I didn’t notice navigation lights so think it was a satellite, my guess was the ISS. I checked Heavens Above and CalSky and there was no ISS pass tonight and there weren’t any satellites brighter than Mag 4 after 2000 EDT. I am not sure what I saw. My kitchen window faces basically west.

Target17P/Holmes
ConstellationPer
CategoryComet
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20071103.2155 EDT
CommentsSince it looked like it had cleared off I went up to PSC to estimate the comet’s brightness. I had the Golden Gate binoculars with me and looked around a bit but my focus was on the comet.

It seems like I am getting better at judging the relative brightness of stars. It isn’t taking me as long to make my assessments, I am not getting as many erroneous assessments, and the two stars that I judged to be of equal brightness to 17P/Holmes were within ±0.04 of a magnitude of my assessment of the comet.

ObjectMag.Description
&alpha Per1.79brighter
α Ari2.01brighter
&beta Per2.09brighter
β Ari2.64brighter
ζ Per2.84brighter
ε Per2.90brighter
γ Per2.91brighter
β Tri3.00brighter
α Tri3.00brighter
δ Per3.01brighter
ε Aur3.03brighter
η Aur3.18brighter
ρ Per3.32brighter
α Tri3.42brighter
ζ Aur3.39brighter
δ Aur3.72dimmer
17P/Holmes~3.75 
η Per3.77brighter
ν Per3.77equal
κ Per3.79equal
ω Per3.84dimmer
γ Ari3.88dimmer
τ Per3.93dimmer
γ Tri4.03dimmer
ι Per4.05dimmer

It was so clear out that I went home and got SAR and went up to MetOval to make an assessment of the comet’s size. At low power I estimated 9 comets would fit across the 2.3° FoV for a size of .26°. At high power I estimated 3.5 comets would fit in the ~1° FoV for a size of .29°. I am estimating the comet’s size to be .28° or 16.8’ or 16’48”. That is 56% as large as the Moon is tonight.

DateDiam.
30Oct079’30”
1Nov0712’17”
3Nov0716’48”

From the distance to Earth figures in Planetarium it appears that 17P/Holmes is near perigee. It is 0.01 AU closer now that it was when it first erupted. It will stay at this distance for about 12 days then go back out by 0.01 AU and stay there for a while until it will probably no longer be a naked eye object.

DateDistance
to Earth
AU
to Sun
AU
25Oct071.632.44
26Oct071.632.45
27Oct071.632.45
28Oct071.632.46
29Oct071.632.46
30Oct071.622.46
31Oct071.622.47
01Nov071.622.47
02Nov071.622.47
03Nov071.622.48
04Nov071.622.48
05Nov071.622.49
06Nov071.622.49
07Nov071.622.49
08Nov071.622.50
09Nov071.622.51
10Nov071.622.51
11Nov071.622.51
12Nov071.632.51
13Nov071.632.52
14Nov071.632.52
15Nov071.622.53

I am surprised that my size estimates are as close as they are at the two magnifications as each has its own challenges. At low power I have to move the scope more and there is more room for error positioning the left edge of the comet where the right edge had been before. At high power there is less scope movement, but the comet is fainter so it is harder to estimate where the edge of the cloud is.

TargetM31, Andromeda Galaxy, NGC 224
ConstellationAnd
CategoryDSO: Gal
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20071103.2250 EDT
CommentsThe galaxy does not look very impressive after seeing 19P/Holmes. It is neither as big nor as bright as the comet.

I had trouble finding it. It was up in the Dob hole.

Rather than trying to sight across the tube of the scope to locate the comet I have been looking its elevation up in Planetarium and using a contractor’s protractor to point the scope at that angle. All I have to do then is pan up a little and sweep from side to side and the comet is right there. It is almost like having setting circles, which is why I bought the protractor in the first place

Disclaimer
This is my personal record of my astronomical observations. It was written for my personal reference. The only reason it is in a blog is that a blog is a very convenient way to get the records formatted more or less uniformly and they will, hopefully, have greater longevity at Google where the servers are backed up than on my hard drive which never gets backed up. I occasionally include copyrighted material in my posts. I do this to make it convenient for me to access things I think I might want to refer to again. I think of this like making a photocopy of something I read that I put in a file where I can find it when I want it. As I understand copyright law, as explained in the DVD series Copyright Compliance by Chip Taylor Communications, this use is allowed under the Fair Use doctrine since I am not making any money on this blog, I don’t publicize the blog, and only occasionally post small excerpts of copyrighted works.


Disclosure
This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog does not accept any form of advertising, sponsorship, or paid insertions. We write for our own purposes. However, we may be influenced by our background, occupation, religion, political affiliation or experience.

The owner(s) of this blog will never receive compensation in any way from this blog.

The owner(s) of this blog is not compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the blog owners. If we claim or appear to be experts on a certain topic or product or service area, we will only endorse products or services that we believe, based on our expertise, are worthy of such endorsement. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider.

This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest.