01 November 2007

1 November 2007

November
From the Latin word for the “ninth”, novem, since it was the ninth month of the Roman year, which began in March.


The Indian Summer

That soft autumnal time
Is come that sheds upon the naked scene
Charms only known in this our northern clime, --
Bright seasons far between.

The woodland foliage now
Is gather’d by the wild November blast;
E’en the thick leaves upon the Poplar’s bough
Are fallen, to the last.

The mighty vines, that round
The forest trunks their slender branches bind,
Their crimson foliage shaken to the ground,
Swing naked in the wind.

Some living green remains,
By the clear brook that shines along the lawn;
But the sear grass stands white o’er all the plains,
And the bright flowers are gone.

But these, these are thy charms, --
Mild airs and temper’d light upon the lea;
And the year holds no time within its arms
That doth resemble thee.

The sunny noon is thine,
Soft, golden, noiseless as the dead of night;
and hues that in the flushed horizon shine
at eve and early light.

John Howard Bryant



I was browsing through the Observer’s Handbook 2008 again and on scanning the Deep Sky Challenge Objects list I find that there are some objects there that I have enough glass to see. But a lot of them require dark, clear skies and/or a nebulaa filter, none of which I have.

ObjectLocationMin. Aper.Qualifiers
NGC 1432/1435Tau100-150transparent skies & clean optics
NGC 1499Per80-125 RFTH-beta filter
IC 434/B 33Ori100-150H-beta filter
Sh 2-276Ori100-150 RFTnebula filter
NGC 5053Com100-200 
NGC 5897Lib150-200 
B 72Oph80-125 RTF 
NGC 6822Sgr100-150transparent skies
IC 1318Cyg80-150 RFTnebula filter
IC 1396Cep100-125 RFTdark sky & nebula filter


Hymn to the North Star

THE sad and solemn night
Has yet her multitude of cheerful fires;
The glorious host of light
Walk the dark hemisphere till she retires;
All through her silent watches, gliding slow,
Her constellations come, and climb the heavens, and go.

Day, too, hath many a star
To grace his gorgeous reign, as bright as they:
Through the blue fields afar,
Unseen, they follow in his flaming way:
Many a bright lingerer, as the eve grows dim,
Tells what a radiant troop arose and set with him.

And thou dost see them rise,
Star of the Pole! and thou dost see them set.
Alone, in thy cold skies,
Thou keep'st thy old unmoving station yet,
Nor join'st the dances of that glittering train,
Nor dipp'st thy virgin orb in the blue western main.

There, at morn's rosy birth,
Thou lookest meekly through the kindling air,
And eve, that round the earth
Chases the day, beholds thee watching there;
There noontide finds thee, and the hour that calls

The shapes of polar flame to scale heaven's azure walls.
Alike, beneath thine eye,
The deeds of darkness and of light are done;
High towards the star-lit sky
Towns blaze--the smoke of battle blots the sun--
The night-storm on a thousand hills is loud--
And the strong wind of day doth mingle sea and cloud.

On thy unaltering blaze
The half-wrecked mariner, his compass lost,
Fixes his steady gaze,
And steers, undoubting, to the friendly coast;
And they who stray in perilous wastes, by night,
Are glad when thou dost shine to guide their footsteps right.

And, therefore, bards of old,
Sages, and hermits of the solemn wood,
Did in thy beams behold
A beauteous type of that unchanging good,
That bright eternal beacon, by whose ray
The voyager of time should shape his heedful way.

William Cullen Bryant




Observing LocationPSC
Observational Period1900-1930 EDT
Atmospheric Conditions
Cloud CoverClear
Temperature54&def;F
WindCalm
HumidityModerate
Feels LikeRaw chill

It feels a lot more humid than NOAA says it is and I had estimated it as being high.

TransparencyGood
Seeing
InstrumentsNaked-eye – Charlie
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway

Target17P/Holmes
ConstellationPer
CategoryComet
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20071101.1900 EDT
CommentsI could see some stars when I got home so went up to PSC before going up to the apartment and estimated the comet’s brightness. I think it has diminished a bit since yesterday.
ObjectMag.Description
&alpha Per1.79brighter
α Ari2.01brighter
&beta Per2.09brighter
β Ari2.64brighter
ζ Per2.84dimmer
ε Per2.90brighter
γ Per2.91brighter
β Tri3.00brighter
δ Per3.01brighter
ρ Per3.32?
ε Cas3.35?
α Tri3.42brighter
η Cas3.46brighter
41 Ari3.61dimmer
17P/Holmes~3.69 
ζ Cas3.69dimmer
η Per3.77dimmer
γ Ari3.88dimmer
τ Per3.93dimmer
γ Tri4.03dimmer
ι Per4.05dimmer

DateMag.
25Oct072.55
30Oct072.96
31Oct072.99
1Nov073.69



Observing LocationMetOval
Observational Period2230-2300 EDT
Atmospheric Conditions
Cloud CoverClear
Temperature51°F
WindCalm
Gusting to
Light Breeze
HumidityModerate
Feels LikeChilly and a little moist

It doesn’t feel anywhere as humid now as it did earlier in the night.

TransparencyGood
SeeingII
Instruments SAR: Coulter CT-100 Newtonian reflector - Charlie
  • Celestron Omni 20mm (21x)
  • Celestron Omni 2x Barlow
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway

Target17P/Holmes
ConstellationPer
CategoryComet
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20071101.2230 EDT
CommentsI read on Space Weather today that 17P/Holmes is 7 times (/) as large as Jupiter and still growing so I went back out with SAR to see if I could see the size difference.

My initial reaction was that the comet was pushing 1/4 of the FoV of my Barlowed lens.

I estimated that the 11 of the comets would fit across the FoV of my 2.3° FoV 20 mm lens making its diameter .21° or 12.55’.
With the Barlow I estimated that 5 comets would fit in the ~1° FoV making its diameter .20° or 12.00’. I am calling the comet 12.28’ in diameter.

DateDiam.
30Oct079’30”
1Nov0712’17”

Disclaimer
This is my personal record of my astronomical observations. It was written for my personal reference. The only reason it is in a blog is that a blog is a very convenient way to get the records formatted more or less uniformly and they will, hopefully, have greater longevity at Google where the servers are backed up than on my hard drive which never gets backed up. I occasionally include copyrighted material in my posts. I do this to make it convenient for me to access things I think I might want to refer to again. I think of this like making a photocopy of something I read that I put in a file where I can find it when I want it. As I understand copyright law, as explained in the DVD series Copyright Compliance by Chip Taylor Communications, this use is allowed under the Fair Use doctrine since I am not making any money on this blog, I don’t publicize the blog, and only occasionally post small excerpts of copyrighted works.


Disclosure
This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog does not accept any form of advertising, sponsorship, or paid insertions. We write for our own purposes. However, we may be influenced by our background, occupation, religion, political affiliation or experience.

The owner(s) of this blog will never receive compensation in any way from this blog.

The owner(s) of this blog is not compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the blog owners. If we claim or appear to be experts on a certain topic or product or service area, we will only endorse products or services that we believe, based on our expertise, are worthy of such endorsement. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider.

This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest.