31 October 2007

31 October 2007

Observing LocationMetOval
It was with some degree of trepidation that I went out tonight. In past years the kids around here have been big on throwing eggs on Haloween. It has been very quiet tonight and I only saw one broken egg on the sidewalk.
Observational Period2200-2230 EDT
Atmospheric Conditions
Cloud CoverScattered Clouds
Temperature58°
WindGentle Breeze
gusting to
32 MPH
HumidityHigh
Feels LikeRaw chill

There are low ragged cotton ball clouds that are moving quickly across the sky to the NE. Occasionally there will be some thinner wisps of clouds too.

It was difficult observing tonight. NOAA was saying observed conditions thought the City were partly to mostly cloudy and then went on to say predict that it would be mostly clear tonight. I often had to wait for the clouds to pass so that I could see both the comet and the comparison star at the same time.

TransparencyGood
Seeing
InstrumentsNaked-eye - Charlie
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway

Target17P/Holmes
ConstellationPer
CategoryComet
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20071031.2200 EDT
CommentsI think the comet has faded some since last night but with light clouds passing through it was hard to tell when I was looking through clear air. At one point I could hardly see the dimmer stars of Triangulum but subsequently found that α Tri was brighter than the comet.

StarMag.Brightness
α Per1.79brighter
β Per2.09brighter
ζ Per2.84brighter
γ Per2.91brighter
β Tri3.00brighter
δ Per3.01brighter
ε Aur3.03brighter
η Aur3.18equal
δ And3.27?
ρ Per3.32dimmer
ε Cas3.35brighter
η Cas3.46brighter
17P/Holmes~3.56 
51 And3.59equal
μ And3.66dimmer
ζ Aur3.69brighter
ζ Cas3.69dimmer
η Per3.79dimmer
ο Per3.84dimmer
τ Per3.93dimmer
ξ Per3.98dimmer
φ Per4.01dimmer
γ Ari4.03dimmer
ι Per4.05dimmer
θ Per4.10dimmer

There is an obvious disconnect between a few of the stars that were judged brighter or dimmer than 17P/Holmes, which I attribute to the passage of thin cloud over one or the other of the objects at the time the estimate was made. They are marked in gray and were not used in my estimate of the comet’s magnitude.

I had trouble deciding which was the brighter between 17P/Holmes and 51 And and my notes show “=”. 51 And is Mag .3.59 and I calculated 17P/Holmes to be Mag. 3.56.




Sunspots Observed

I kept watching Space Weather and Active Region Explorer when the weather was clear but never saw a sunspot there and only went out once for solar observing all month. The last time I saw a sunspot was 29Aug07.

Observing Hours for the Year To Date

 DayNightTotal
HoursDaysAvgHoursDaysAvgHoursDaysAvg
Jan4.25120.357.7590.8612.00160.75
Feb3.50140.3020.7552.0424.25151.17
Mar9.25160.4036.75102.7646.00171.71
Apr4.00140.3822.5072.8326.5161.70
May11.75160.4531.0092.9742.75201.80
Jun7.00150.4618.5082.8625.50181.74
Jul5.75180.4330.00102.8835.75191.76
Aug8.00130.4542.25142.9150.25191.88
Sep2.2560.3844.50152.9746.25162.89
Oct1.2530.4220.50111.8621.7514155
TOTAL 57.751270.45274.50982.80331.001701.95
I feel like there is still a problem in my spreadsheet with the way at calculates the yearly total but I haven't been able to see it. The numbers just don't look exactly right, but I don't think they are far off if there is a problem.

Disclaimer
This is my personal record of my astronomical observations. It was written for my personal reference. The only reason it is in a blog is that a blog is a very convenient way to get the records formatted more or less uniformly and they will, hopefully, have greater longevity at Google where the servers are backed up than on my hard drive which never gets backed up. I occasionally include copyrighted material in my posts. I do this to make it convenient for me to access things I think I might want to refer to again. I think of this like making a photocopy of something I read that I put in a file where I can find it when I want it. As I understand copyright law, as explained in the DVD series Copyright Compliance by Chip Taylor Communications, this use is allowed under the Fair Use doctrine since I am not making any money on this blog, I don’t publicize the blog, and only occasionally post small excerpts of copyrighted works.


Disclosure
This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog does not accept any form of advertising, sponsorship, or paid insertions. We write for our own purposes. However, we may be influenced by our background, occupation, religion, political affiliation or experience.

The owner(s) of this blog will never receive compensation in any way from this blog.

The owner(s) of this blog is not compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the blog owners. If we claim or appear to be experts on a certain topic or product or service area, we will only endorse products or services that we believe, based on our expertise, are worthy of such endorsement. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider.

This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest.