24 April 2007

24 April 2007

Observing LocationSIBL
Observational Period1145-1200 EDT
Atmospheric Conditions
Cloud Coverlight haze
Temperature70°F
WindLight Breeze
gusting to
Moderate Breeze
HumidityLow
Feels LikeWarm

TransparencyGood
SeeingI
Instruments Canon 15x50 IS binocular w/Baader AstroSolar filter film - Charlie
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway

Target Sunspots
ConstellationAri
CategorySolar
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
2007 EDT
Comments
Distance
Light Time
1.005703 AU
8ms
Angular Size31'51.9"
Altitude58.6°
Heliographic Latitude
(B0)
-4.91°
Heliographic Longitude
(L0)
54.09°
Position Angle
(P)
-25.29°
Carrington rotation number
(CR)
2055

There is still nothing to be seen.

 Groups SpotsR
North0 0 0
South0 0 0
Total0 0 0
R = (Groups * 10) + Spots)



I was browsing the NY Public Library site today and came across a page illustrating a manuscript containing a view of the Artistotelian universe.



I forgot my PDA so this is a partial post until I recover it.

Observing LocationTPO
Observational Period0830-2245 EDT
Atmospheric Conditions
Cloud CoverScattered Clouds
Temperature66°F
WindVariable
gusting to
Moderate Breeze
HumidityLow
Feels LikeCool

There were some passing clouds and early on a glow of haze around the Moon. Some boiling was observed over the Moon.

TransparencyGood
SeeingII
Instruments SAR: Coulter CT-100 Newtonian reflector - Charlie
  • Celestron Omni 20mm
  • Celestron Omni 2x Barlow
  • 24mm Kellner w/helical focuser
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway

TargetISS Visible Pass
ConstellationTau, Gem, Cnc
CategorySatellite
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20070424.2128 EDT
CommentsNot Seen
The ISS was supposed to have passed within 0.5° of Venus on this pass. Heavens Above puts it at Mag -0.2 while CalSky has it at Mag 1.9. In either case it was bright enough that it should have been seen since I was able to see
Mirfacα PerMag 1.78
δ PerMag 3.0
Algolβ PerMag 2.06
Almaazε AurMag 3.0
Hoedus IIη AurMag 3,15
Hoedus Iζ AurMag 3.68
I didn’t know exactly where it was going to become visible and estimated too far to the north but was scanning between Perseus and Venus the whole time of the pass, concentrating on the area around Venus when it was supposed to be there so should have seen it.
From Heavens Above:
Time
EDT
AltAz
Starts2128:2310°WNW
Max Alt2130:4944°WSW
Ends2130:4944°WSW

Heavens-Above.com graphic
From CalSky:
21h29m18.46s
Close to Venus. Separation=0.991° Position Angle=354.2°
Angular Velocity=15.8'/s
Angular diameter=21.1" size=73.0m x 44.5m x 27.5m
Satellite at Azimuth=288.5° WNW Altitude= 18.3° Distance=876.9 km Magnitude=1.7mag
Satellite apparently moves to clock-face direction 10:34 o'clock
Closest Point: Longitude= 73°50'20" W Latitude=+40°54'49" [Mount Vernon, Westchester County, NY] Distance=20.45 km Azimuth= 34.4° NE Path direction: 124.4° SE ground speed: 10.134 km/s width: 0.1 km max. duration: 0.0 s

TargetMoon
ConstellationCnc
CategoryLunar
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20070424.2135 EDT
Comments
Lunation1043
PhaseWaxing Gibbous
First Quarter +20h
Age7.58d
Distance
Light Time
(from earth)
338,469 km
s
Elongation°
% Illuminated58.1%
Magnitude-12.11
Angular Size30.76'
Altitude59°22’
The Moon was between M44 and Saturn tonight.

I started observing with my weakest eyepiece and incremented the magnification to see how much more I could see with the increase. I didn't reference any guides until after the fact to help identify features I didn't know the names of, which is most of them.

24mm
18x
  • Palus Somni
  • Theophilus, Cyrillus and Catharina but not Rupes Altai
  • Pallis Capella
  • Mare Undarum looks very dark
  • There appears to be mare on both sides of the “dunce cap” at the top of Mare Serenitatis that is a different shade of gray than the dunce cap.
  • Eudoxus and Aristoteles
  • a couple of rays are starting to appear out of a crater in the SW, Petavius?
  • Alps Mountains and Apennine Mountains
  • Aristillus
20mm
22x
  • western end of the Alpine Valley
  • Rupes Altai
24mm
+ 2x Barlow
36x
  • I know it shouldn’t make a difference, but I can easily see the Alpine Valley from the right side of my scope but have to work to find it when on the left side.
  • Arzachel’s rim is 100% in sunlight but shadow is wrapped around it nearly to 12:00 to the north and to 5:30 on the south. The terminator has a scalloped shape here. The central peak is bright above a darker crater floor.
  • About half way between Arzachel and the south pole, and moving away from the terminator a bit, is a kidney shaped double crater, Licetus and Heraclitus & Heraclitus D.
  • Right in the center of the terminator there are two large craters, Ptolemaeus and Alphonsus. The floor of Alphonsus is in medium shadow while I can see two craters on the floor of Ptolemaeus [there is only one well formed crater there – Ammonius]. Tangent to Ptolemaeus to the north is an equally large ghost crater – Hipparchus?, or have I identified the wrong craters from the maps?
20mm
+ 2x Barlow
22x
  • Arzachel has a central peak
  • Piton
  • The Alpine Valley looks like a stiletto of shadow coming out of the Alps
  • The Alps don’t look like they join up with the Caucusus Mountains. The Carpathians and Caucusus appear to be spinning off the rim of Mare Imbrium like the arm of a spiral galaxy, and go up toward Eudoxus and Aristoteles.
  • Mare Vaporum is a broad shield under Mare Serenitatis
I think I get a more contrasty image out of the Omni than out of the Kellner and also with the eyepieces alone rather than in combination with the Barlow.

Disclaimer
This is my personal record of my astronomical observations. It was written for my personal reference. The only reason it is in a blog is that a blog is a very convenient way to get the records formatted more or less uniformly and they will, hopefully, have greater longevity at Google where the servers are backed up than on my hard drive which never gets backed up. I occasionally include copyrighted material in my posts. I do this to make it convenient for me to access things I think I might want to refer to again. I think of this like making a photocopy of something I read that I put in a file where I can find it when I want it. As I understand copyright law, as explained in the DVD series Copyright Compliance by Chip Taylor Communications, this use is allowed under the Fair Use doctrine since I am not making any money on this blog, I don’t publicize the blog, and only occasionally post small excerpts of copyrighted works.


Disclosure
This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog does not accept any form of advertising, sponsorship, or paid insertions. We write for our own purposes. However, we may be influenced by our background, occupation, religion, political affiliation or experience.

The owner(s) of this blog will never receive compensation in any way from this blog.

The owner(s) of this blog is not compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the blog owners. If we claim or appear to be experts on a certain topic or product or service area, we will only endorse products or services that we believe, based on our expertise, are worthy of such endorsement. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider.

This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest.