20 April 2007

20 April 2007

Observing LocationVP
Observational Period1045-1100 EDT
Atmospheric Conditions
Cloud CoverScattered Clouds
Temperature72°F
WindLight Breeze
HumidityLow
Feels LikeVery comfortable

There are still some lingering wisps of cloud around but it has cleared out nicely and there is mostly light blue sky visible.

TransparencyGood
SeeingI
Instruments Brunton 8x21 compact binocular w/Welco gold shade 14 welder's filter - Charlie
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway

Target Sunspots
ConstellationAri
CategorySolar
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20070420.1045 EDT
Comments
Distance
Light Time
1.004633 AU
8ms
Angular Size31'53.4"
Altitude49.6°
Heliographic Latitude
(B0)
-5.18°
Heliographic Longitude
(L0)
94.27°
Position Angle
(P)
-25.62°
Carrington rotation number
(CR)
2055

I am not seeing anything. Space Weather is not showing anything either, but Active Region Explorer shows group 951 about half way from the meridian to the western limb.

 Groups SpotsR
North0 0 0
South0 0 0
Total0 0 0
R = (Groups * 10) + Spots)



It doesn’t look like it could get much better for tonight, and tonight will be the best night of the weekend. I am a little sorry that tonight is the Columbia University public observing session for the month. I would get more time, and more observing, done at TotL (if I didn’t spend most of my time just talking to Peter and Kin), but I am going to go to Columbia since we only get to do that once a month during the school year and only when the weather is good, which is less than half the time.


Clear Sky Clock graphic

This hasn't been a particularly good month for observing so far. In fact it has been notably poor. I have gotten less observing done this month than I did in the dead of winter. Hopefully this weekend will correct that somewhat.



Silently one by one, in the infinite meadows of heaven, Blossomed the lovely stars, the forget-me-nots of the angels.

Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Observing LocationRutherford Observatory, Columbia University, New York, NY
Observational Period1930-2230 EDT
Atmospheric Conditions
Cloud CoverClear
Temperaturelow 50s F
falling quickly through
high 40s F
WindLight Breeze
HumidityLow
Feels LikeCool

I didn’t get a lot of eyepiece time so can’t comment too much on the conditions.

TransparencyGood
SeeingII
Instruments
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway
Neil – Columbia University grad student
Cameron – Columbia University grad student
the public

I started out the night out on the roof top with my binocular and then moving onto the Dob to assist Cameron keeping things in the eyepiece while he was interpreting for people. I didn’t get much observing done as the number of people built quickly.

TargetMoon
ConstellationTau
CategoryLunar
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20070420.1930 EDT
Comments
Lunation1043
PhaseWaxing Crescent
Age3.53d
Distance
Light Time
(from earth)
365,947 km
s
Elongation°
% Illuminated17.5%
Magnitude-10.92
Angular Size32.65’
Altitude37.26°
The Moon has moved up to the upper end of Taurus near the horns. It is a wide crescent but there is still earthshine visible. Langrenous is prominent on the edge of Mare Fecunditatis with its central peak visible. The other features I noted were dorsum on the mare floors. In Mare Crisium I could see Dorsa Oppel on the terminator side of the mare but I could not detect Dorsa Tetyaev on the limb side. Down in Mare Fecunditatis I was seeing Dorsa Geikie.

TargetVenus
ConstellationTau
CategoryPlanet
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20070420.1930 EDT
Comments
Object
Class
Classical Planet
PhaseWaning Gibbous
Elongation°
% Illuminated72.12%
Distance
Light Time
(from Earth)
AU
ms
Distance
(from Sun)
Au
Angular Size15"
Magnitude-4.07
Altitude22°23’
Venus and the Moon were both easily visible when I arrived on the roof a half hour before the start of the session. I never looked at it in the scope feeling that the sky was already too dark by the time it was set up to be able to see anything but flare.

Starry Night Starter graphic

Target2P/Enke
ConstellationAri
Category
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20070420.2000 EDT
CommentsNot Seen
My object in arriving at the observatory before the start of the session was to try to observe the periodic comet Enke which is supposed to be a Mag 4 green fuzz ball on the western horizon right after sunset. I had checked online and knew that the comet was directly below the Pleiades but very close to the horizon. CalSky said the best time to see it was between 20.1 and 20.9 hours. I had difficulty finding the Pleiades with my binocular and never saw anything low on the horizon but planes. By the time we were into the recommended observing window that part of the sky had rotated behind a building as seen from the Dob which was the only instrument that can see that low on the western horizon.

Starry Night Starter graphic

TargetSaturn
ConstellationLeo
CategoryPlanet
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20070420.2030 EDT
Comments
Object
Class
Classical Planet
Elongation°
Distance
Light Time
(from Earth)
AU
hm
Distance
(from Sun)
Au
Angular Size"x"
Ring
Angular
Size
"x"
Ring
Inclination
°
Magnitude+0.33
Altitude66°36’
We looked at Saturn several times during the night as different people arrived and wanted to see it. I saw the moons Titan, Rhea and Dione, the band on the planet south of the rings and the shadow of the planet on the rings.

Starry Night Starter graphic

Around 2100-2130 EDT The crowd started to thin out a bit and I moved into the small dome where Neil was running the 11” Cat and finished out the night there.

TargetM81, NGC 3031
ConstellationUMa
CategoryDSO: SpGal
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20070420.21## EDT
CommentsThe fuzz ball was faint and small but easily seen. I asked about M82 but Neil said the FoV was too small for it to be there also.

TargetM51, Whirlpool Galaxy, NGC5194
ConstellationCVn
CategoryDSO: SpGal
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20070420.21## EDT
CommentsNot Seen
There was a guy there who wanted to see M51 but Neil explained that its surface brightness was less than that of M81 and since M81 was faint we would not see M51 but he wanted to try anyway so the scope was spun and the dome after it.

TargetM44, Praseape, The Beehive Cluster, NGC2632
ConstellationCan
CategoryDSO: OCl
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20070420.21## EDT
CommentsNeil told the guy that the object was too big to fit into the FoV but he wanted to see it anyway so the scope was spun and the dome was spun and we saw a few bright stars that didn’t look like anything. I wasn’t able to find in with my binocular.

TargetM35, NGC2168
ConstellationGem
CategoryDSO: OCl
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20070420.21## EDT
CommentsThis one was a bit richer than M44 but again didn’t look like much in the time I had in the eyepiece.

TargetCastor
ConstellationGem
CategoryDouble Star
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20070420.2200 EDT
CommentsThis is a six star system. Castor A, Castor B and Castor C are optical doubles while each of them itself is a spectroscopic double. I could see an obvious close double without a clean split, the lower of the stars appeared brighter.



Observing LocationTotL
The closest street light to TotL to the west was out the last time we were here. It has been replaced with a lamp that is super bright and very bothersome. The closest light to the east is now burned out. If they replace it with a lamp of the same intensity as the one that has already been replaced we may not be able to observe from TotL until they burn down. We may have to move back to TPO>
Observational Period2300-0100 EDT
Atmospheric Conditions
Cloud CoverClear
Temperaturemid 40s F
WindLight Breeze
HumidityLow
Feels Likevery cool

The temperature dropped noticeably while I was there but according to the thermometer on the MONY building the temperature change was only 2°F. Peter reported that seeing had gone downhill while he had been there.

TransparencyGood
SeeingII
Instruments Teleport 10" Donsonisn reflector - Peter
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway

As I expected would be the case I got more real observing in in my two hours with Peter and my similar amount of time at Columbia with the public.

TargetM81, NGC3031 & M82, Cigar Galaxy, NGC3034
ConstellationUMa
CategoryDSO: Gal
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20070420.23## EDT
CommentsWe were able to see both galaxies in Peter’s scope. M81 is a spiral galaxy that we see more or less from the top down (or bottom up) and it is fairly large with and bright. It lies at the end of a right triangle formed with two stars. M82 is an irregular galaxy that is elongated like a cigar. I have more trouble making out M82 but I could see its elongation and orientation with respect to M81. It appears to the 10:30 of M81.

TargetM94, NGC4736
ConstellationCVn
CategoryDSO: SpGal
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20070420.23## EDT
CommentsThe galaxy appears to be about five times as wide as it’s core. Its brightness falls off very quickly and at its is mostly a faint haze around an almost stellar core.

TargetSaturn
ConstellationLeo
CategoryPlanet
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20070420.23## EDT
Comments We looked at Saturn several times here as well as different passers-by passed by. To my list of observed moons I added Tethys faint and below and near the south pole of the planet. I was able to clearly see the C ring but the Cassini division was much less distinct than usual although it was visible over a greater portion of the rings than I normally see it.

TargetM106,
ConstellationCVn
CategoryDSO: SpGAL
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20070421.0011 EDT
CommentsWe saw it but I didn’t make notes and don’t remember anything now so will have to edit this space after Peter refreshes my memory.

TargetM51, Whirlpool Galazy, NGC5194
ConstellationCVn
CategoryDSO: SpGal
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20070421.0019 EDT
CommentsWe did see it from TotL and with less aperture than we had earlier at Columbia.

TargetNGC5195 (M51A)
ConstellationCVn
Category
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
2007 EDT
CommentsThis is an irregular galaxy right next to and under the end of one of the arms of M51. It was discovered by Pierre Mechain at the time he discovered M51. It has previously had an interaction with M51 which has changed it from a spiral to an irregular shape.

Photos of M51 and NGC5195:

TargetM63, NGC 5055
ConstellationCVn
CategoryDSO: SpGal
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20070421.0050 EDT
CommentsDetected
When I first got to the eyepiece I correctly identified its location but then changed my mind and placed it lower and much larger than its true position and size.

Disclaimer
This is my personal record of my astronomical observations. It was written for my personal reference. The only reason it is in a blog is that a blog is a very convenient way to get the records formatted more or less uniformly and they will, hopefully, have greater longevity at Google where the servers are backed up than on my hard drive which never gets backed up. I occasionally include copyrighted material in my posts. I do this to make it convenient for me to access things I think I might want to refer to again. I think of this like making a photocopy of something I read that I put in a file where I can find it when I want it. As I understand copyright law, as explained in the DVD series Copyright Compliance by Chip Taylor Communications, this use is allowed under the Fair Use doctrine since I am not making any money on this blog, I don’t publicize the blog, and only occasionally post small excerpts of copyrighted works.


Disclosure
This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog does not accept any form of advertising, sponsorship, or paid insertions. We write for our own purposes. However, we may be influenced by our background, occupation, religion, political affiliation or experience.

The owner(s) of this blog will never receive compensation in any way from this blog.

The owner(s) of this blog is not compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the blog owners. If we claim or appear to be experts on a certain topic or product or service area, we will only endorse products or services that we believe, based on our expertise, are worthy of such endorsement. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider.

This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest.