24 April 2007

22 April 2007

Observing LocationMcGraw Ave, Taylor Ave & Cross Bronx Expressway, Bronx, NY
Lat.: 40° 50.055', Long.: 73° 51.945'
Observational Period1015-1030 EDT
InstrumentsBrunton 8x21 compact binocular w/Welco gold shade 14 welder's filter - Charlie
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway

Target Sunspots
ConstellationAri
CategorySolar
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20070422.1015 EDT
Comments
Distance
Light Time
1.005166 AU
8ms
Angular Size31'52.4"
Altitude45.3°
Heliographic Latitude
(B0)
-5.01°
Heliographic Longitude
(L0)
68.13°
Position Angle
(P)
-25.41°
Carrington rotation number
(CR)
2055

Nothing seen

 Groups SpotsR
North0 0 0
South0 0 0
Total0 0 0
R = (Groups * 10) + Spots)



Observing LocationTotL
Observational Period2000-0030 EDT
Atmospheric Conditions
Cloud CoverClear
TemperatureCool
WindGusty early
then Calm
HumidityLow
Feels LikeCool

TransparencyGood
SeeingII - III
Instruments SAR: Coulter CT-100 Newtonian reflector - Charlie
  • CelEDTron Omni 20mm
  • CelEDTron Omni 2x Barlow
  • ~24mm Kellner w/helical focuser

Harry (The Kite) 6” DIY Alt/Ax reflector - Peter
Fujinon 16x60 binocular - Tom
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway
Peter Tagatac
Tom Clabough

TargetMoon
ConstellationGem
CategoryLunar
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20070422.2000 EDT
Comments
Lunation
PhaseWaning Crescent
Age
Distance
Light Time
(from earth)
,000 km
s
Elongation°
% Illuminated36.74%
Magnitude-11.69
Angular Size32'
Altitude59°23’
The Moon has moved over between Castor and Pollux and is below their clasped hands (ι Gem) which was just visible in the Moon’s glare after the sky got dark.

Starry Night Starter detail

Hercules and Atlas looked nice up above Lacus Somniorum. I looked for Lacus Mortis but could not find anything that looked as foreboding as its description always reads.
The Serpentine Ridge, Dorsa Smirnov, looks great.
Theophilus, Cyrillus and Catharina are looking good along the border of Mare Nectaris. The central peak in Theophilus is in sunlight while the crater floor is in dark shadow. It looks like there is a wide canal connecting Cyrillus and Catharina. Between the craters and the mare I could see the middle wall of the Nectaris basin and what looked like broad, flat valleys on either side of it. The lower end Altai Scarp was visible emerging from the terminator.
Gutenburg is a little fainter tonight but is still visible.
I identified Fracastorius as a large crater with a broken wall in the SW wall of Mare Nectaris. It is actually mostly outside of Nectaris and communicates with it, almost like a sinus.

LAC chart 97 detail

I saw a ridge running across Mare Nectaris between Daguerre and Rosse which I do not find in the Virtual Moon Atlas and is not named in LAC.

LAC chart 97 detail

LAC chart 97 detail

TargetVenus
ConstellationTau
CategoryPlanet
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20070422.2000 EDT
Comments
Object
Class
Classical Planet
PhaseWaning Gibbous
Elongation°
% Illuminated71.40%
Distance
Light Time
(from Earth)
AU
ms
Distance
(from Sun)
Au
Angular Size16"
Magnitude-4.07
Altitude33°15’
It was too late to bother putting the scope on Venus so I just appreciated it naked-eye.

TargetISS Visible Pass
ConstellationPer, Cas, Cep, Dra, Her
CategorySatellite
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20070422.2049 EDT
CommentsTom arrived about 2015 and started trying to corral people to observe an ISS pass at 2049. It was a hard sell but for those who did stay it was well worth it. While the ISS pass was fairly pedestrian there was a meteor nearby right in the middle of the pass. All eyes went with the meteor and few returned to the satellite.
0.9
Time
EDT
AltAzMag
Appears2203:5610°NNW
Max Alt2051:2322°NNE
Disappears16°EBE

TargetLyrids Meteor
ConstellationBoo, Dra, UMa, Cam, Per
CategoryComets, Asteroids, Meteors
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20070422.2050 EDT
CommentsWhile watching the ISS someone said WOW!, then everyone said WOW!!! It isn’t often when one person sees a meteor that it is there when others look where the lucky one was looking, but this wasn’t your ordinary meteor. It wasn’t as bright as Venus and might have been a little yellow. Its tail was probably longer than my fist is wide so 10°-15° long and I could see individual sparks along its upper edge. We were looking Manhattan north or NNE when we saw it below the handle of the Big Dipper and everyone turned to track it across the sky until it disappeared in the WNW below Capella. There was not one in the group who didn’t have a chance to see it and be suitably impressed.

TargetSaturn
ConstellationLeo
CategoryPlanet
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20070422.2130 EDT
Comments
Object
Class
Classical Planet
Elongation°
Distance
Light Time
(from Earth)
AU
hm
Distance
(from Sun)
Au
Angular Size"x"
Ring
Angular
Size
"x"
Ring
Inclination
°
Magnitude+0.34
Altitude61°40'
I saw three moons but not the Cassini Division in the Kite and didn't even look at it with SAR.

TargetM81, Bode’s Galaxy, NGC3031/M82, Cigar Galaxy, NGC3034
ConstellationUMa
CategoryDSO: SpGal/IrrGal
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20070422.#### EDT
CommentsI have forgotten what I was looking at, or for, but Peter suggested that M81 would be a better target for my scope and added that he would like to see it there so I made the hop. The newly replaced street light to our west was a real problem for my scope. Its light was shining into the front of the tube and into the bottom of the eyepiece. At some point I am going to have to build a shield for it. Anyway, after I got the FoV and had Peter confirm it he said he didn’t see anything. At the end of the night he also tried it with the Kite and I am not sure we saw it there either.

Disclaimer
This is my personal record of my astronomical observations. It was written for my personal reference. The only reason it is in a blog is that a blog is a very convenient way to get the records formatted more or less uniformly and they will, hopefully, have greater longevity at Google where the servers are backed up than on my hard drive which never gets backed up. I occasionally include copyrighted material in my posts. I do this to make it convenient for me to access things I think I might want to refer to again. I think of this like making a photocopy of something I read that I put in a file where I can find it when I want it. As I understand copyright law, as explained in the DVD series Copyright Compliance by Chip Taylor Communications, this use is allowed under the Fair Use doctrine since I am not making any money on this blog, I don’t publicize the blog, and only occasionally post small excerpts of copyrighted works.


Disclosure
This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog does not accept any form of advertising, sponsorship, or paid insertions. We write for our own purposes. However, we may be influenced by our background, occupation, religion, political affiliation or experience.

The owner(s) of this blog will never receive compensation in any way from this blog.

The owner(s) of this blog is not compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the blog owners. If we claim or appear to be experts on a certain topic or product or service area, we will only endorse products or services that we believe, based on our expertise, are worthy of such endorsement. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider.

This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest.