21 April 2007

21 April 2007

Observing LocationSIBL
Observational Period1100-1115 EDT
Atmospheric Conditions
Cloud CoverOvercast
thin cirrus and haze
Temperature66°F
WindCalm
HumidityLow
Feels LikeWarm

The sky is nearly completely covered with thin cirrus clouds and haze.

TransparencyFair
SeeingI
Instruments Brunton 8x21 compact binocular w/Welco gold shade 14 welder's filter - Charlie
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway

Target Sunspots
ConstellationAri
CategorySolar
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20070421.1100 EDT
Comments
Distance
Light Time
1.004904 AU
8ms
Angular Size31'52.9"
Altitude52.2°
Heliographic Latitude
(B0)
-5.09°
Heliographic Longitude
(L0)
80.92°
Position Angle
(P)
-25.52°
Carrington rotation number
(CR)
2055

Nothing seen.

 Groups SpotsR
North 0 0 0
South 0 0 0
Total 0 0 0
R = (Groups * 10) + Spots)



Observing LocationTotL
Observational Period1900-0100 EDT
Atmospheric Conditions
Cloud CoverVariable
TemperatureCool
WindCalm
HumidityLow
Feels LikeCool

It wasn’t anywhere near as clear as CSC had said it would be.

TransparencyFair
SeeingII
Instruments SAR: Coulter CT-100 Newtonian reflector - Charlie
Teleport 10" Donsonisn reflector - Peter
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway
Peter Tagatac
The only note I made all night was that I saw Venus naked-eye at1923 EDT. Tonight was a high public interaction night so we looked at the Moon and Saturn a lot. Most of my observing was confined to the Moon.

TargetMoon
Constellation1915
CategoryLunar
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
2007 EDT
Comments
Lunation
PhaseWaxing Crescent
Age
Distance
Light Time
(from earth)
,000 km
s
Elongation°
% Illuminated26.14%
Magnitude-11.36
Angular Size32'
Altitude61°40
Tonight the broad crescent is between β Tau and the foot of Castor.
There is delicate earthshine but not enough for me to see much in it. After prolonged observation in Peter’s scope, with the illuminated portion of the disc out of the FoV I eventually located Aristarchus, Grimaldi and Mare Humorum.
I was able to see Dorsum Oppel on the terminator side of Mare Crisium, but not Dorsa Tetyaev over on the limb side. I did not remark Proclus or my favorite lunar feature, Palus Somni.
Out towards the center of the terminator Peter pointed out a mountain with broken crater (I think) that looked like the big claw of a Fiddler Crab, or a key chain hook. In Virtual Moon Atlas it looks more like Gutenberg in Mare Fecunditatis.

Virtual Moon Atlas graphic

Virtual Moon Atlas graphic

LAC graphic

Nearby the above feature I noted two straight dirk shadows in various locations which I have not identified.

TargetVenus
ConstellationTau
CategoryPlanet
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20070421.1923 EDT
Comments
Object
Class
Classical Planet
PhaseWaning Gibbous
Elongation°
% Illuminated71.76%
Distance
Light Time
(from Earth)
AU
ms
Distance
(from Sun)
Au
Angular Size15"
Magnitude-4.07
Altitude28°14”
Venus is still in Taurus closer to Aldeberan than it is to β Tauri. In my scope I can’t detect any phase on it, where it shouls be flat I have a comet tail due to poor collimation.

TargetSaturn
ConstellationLeo
CategoryPlanet
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20070421.2130 EDT
Comments
Object
Class
Classical Planet
Elongation°
Distance
Light Time
(from Earth)
AU
hm
Distance
(from Sun)
Au
Angular Size"x"
Ring
Angular
Size
"x"
Ring
Inclination
°
Magnitude+.34
Altitude62°5’
In Peter’s scope I saw all of the moons save Mimas. I thought I saw something close to the planet and had to have Peter confirm that I was seeing Tethys. It is interesting that I was seeing it so close to the planet when I was having trouble picking out Dione, but Peter said Dione was right on the edge of a spider vane which was probably giving me trouble.

Starry Night Starter graphic

TargetJupiter
ConstellationOph
CategoryPlanet
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20070422.0030 EDT
Comments
Object
Class
Classical Planet
Elongation°
Distance
Light Time
(from Earth)
AU
ms
Distance
(from Sun)
Au
Angular Size43"
Magnitude-2.4
Central Meridian
I/II
°/°
Altitude8°46’
Moons
Late in the evening we saw something bright rising through the trees. On the way out of the park it was over the buildings on the east side but I forgot to check and see if it was high enough to get binoculars on from in front of the Met to confirm its identity as Jupiter.

Starry Night Starter graphic
I included the above graphic for the foreground information it contains rather than the sky information. The tree to the left of Jupiter has apples on it as does the one out by Scorpius. This is the first time I have noticed that and I don’t know if it is a seasonal thing or if that tree always has apples on it. I don’t remember ever having seen snow on the trees or that the deciduous trees loose their leaves in the fall and winter so don’t know how aware the program is of the calendar when it depicts the foreground.

Disclaimer
This is my personal record of my astronomical observations. It was written for my personal reference. The only reason it is in a blog is that a blog is a very convenient way to get the records formatted more or less uniformly and they will, hopefully, have greater longevity at Google where the servers are backed up than on my hard drive which never gets backed up. I occasionally include copyrighted material in my posts. I do this to make it convenient for me to access things I think I might want to refer to again. I think of this like making a photocopy of something I read that I put in a file where I can find it when I want it. As I understand copyright law, as explained in the DVD series Copyright Compliance by Chip Taylor Communications, this use is allowed under the Fair Use doctrine since I am not making any money on this blog, I don’t publicize the blog, and only occasionally post small excerpts of copyrighted works.


Disclosure
This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog does not accept any form of advertising, sponsorship, or paid insertions. We write for our own purposes. However, we may be influenced by our background, occupation, religion, political affiliation or experience.

The owner(s) of this blog will never receive compensation in any way from this blog.

The owner(s) of this blog is not compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the blog owners. If we claim or appear to be experts on a certain topic or product or service area, we will only endorse products or services that we believe, based on our expertise, are worthy of such endorsement. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider.

This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest.