02 March 2007

2 March 2007

While planning for Saturday’s lunar eclipse, which will probably be clouded, rained and snowed out here, I made a digression into Moon size. This is a continuation of my previous study on this topic, which was initiated as a result of information found in Cherrington’s description of the full Moon.

Peter and I had a discussion about this a couple of weeks ago and he wondered if any size change would be eaten up by the actual change in the distance of the Moon from Earth over a period of observation. Cherrington doesn’t mention this as being a consideration and I think the local distance change over a day from the rotation of the earth will be greater than any change due to the relative position of the earth and Moon due to the ellipse of the Moon’s orbit. At perigee where the Moon is moving fastest there would be more of a change from position in the orbit over a moonrise/moonset period than when the Moon is at apogee and that is something that I should look at in another analysis.

To test this out, I graphed the apparent size of the Moon vs. it altitude at hourly intervals from rising through setting (actually an hour after rising and before setting so Excel could make a chart without negative numbers which it doesn’t do well).

I tried using Excel to create a bubble chart showing different size bubbles against time on the x axis and altitude on the y axis but something went awry with the chart so I recreated the chart as altitude vs. time on a scatter plot. That worked better but didn’t show time in an easily understood way.

I tried plotting altitude against time and that gave me the nice bell curve I was looking for but it didn’t say anything about apparent size.

Then I plotted size against time and again got a nice bell curve, but it left out the altitude component I needed.

I gave the bubble chart another try and got it to work this time, but there isn’t enough change in the size of the moon between moonrise/moonset and culmination (1.14%) that it can be seen in the bubbles produced on the graph. So I had to have Excel put the diameter values next to each bubble.




The NY Times is reporting that there is likely to be a slip in the Crew Expedition Vehicle first flight to a decrease in funding and that there will be a four-year – at this point – period between the retirement of the Shuttle and the first flight of the CEV when the US will not be able to put astronauts in space on its own. That does not take into account any future delays in CEV development or time to correct craft deficiencies before meaningful flights can take place.



It rained heavily overnight (but still some ice from the previous storms persists) and it looks like there will be a clearing after the storm. CSC is showing clear skies tonight and good transparency although I think they are optimistic on the transparency side with all the water that is on the ground here and evaporating into the atmosphere.

NOAA seems sureer today that we will have clouds and precipitation tomorrow night at the time of the eclipse.



Observing LocationTotL
Observational Period2000-0200 EST
Atmospheric Conditions
Cloud CoverClear
Temperature40sF
WindCalm
gusting to
Moderate Breeze
HumidityModerate
Feels LikeCool

The temperature was up near 60°F today, maybe above, and hadn't dropped much by the time we left. The breeze and moisture in the air made it feel a little cool though. The breeze was buffeting the scopes, particularly Harry, but even SAR, and making it hard to see. It appeared clear but the shy was not really black, even in the optics.

TransparencyGood
SeeingII
InstrumentsSAR: Coulter CT-100 Newtonian reflector - Charlie
  • Celestron Omni 20mm
  • Celestron Omni 2x Barlow
  • Kellner 20mm (possibly a university Optics)
    Peter lent me this lens which is original equipment for the CT-100. It has no markings on it to show who made it or its focal length. It had a helical diopter adjustment built in to permit fine focusing of the CT-100, which came stock without a focuser. It made focusing a breeze.

Harry (the Kite): 150mm DIY Newtonian Reflector - Peter
Takahashi 22x60 binocular - Peter
Pentax 20x60 binocular - Kin
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway
Peter Tagatac
Kin Lee
Time’s Up Central Park Moonlight Ride

TargetMoon
ConstellationCnc
CategoryLunar
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20070302.2015 EST
Comments
Lunation1041
PhaseWaxing Gibbous
Full -22h3m
Age13d9h00m
Distance
Light Time
(from earth)
396,000 km
1.32s
Elongation169.72°E
% Illuminated99.2%
Magnitude-12.4
Angular Size30'13"
Altitude37.64°
A couple came by and wanted a look before I had completed setting up so I found the Moon for them. I didn’t look much myself wanting to preserve my night vision a little longer. When the bikers came through I put the scope back on the Moon and looked a little. The limb in the S is still a little lumpy but otherwise lacks texture.

TargetM42, Great Orion Nebula
ConstellationOri
CategoryDSO: EmNeb
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20070302.2025 EST
CommentsThe nebula looks good but not spectacular. Another object for the couple.

TargetSaturn
ConstellationLeo
CategoryPlanet
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
2007 EST
Comments
Object
Class
Classical Planet
Elongation157.89°E
Distance
Light Time
(from Earth)
8.27 AU
1h9m
Distance
(from Sun)
9.19 Au
Angular Size20"x17.7"
Ring
Angular
Size
45.4"x11.5"
Ring
Inclination
14.63°
Magnitude+0.1
Altitude56.36°
I only got a few looks at the planet in Peter’s scope between the bikers. I could see the Cassini Division but didn’t note anything else. In my scope it just looks a little bit like a football. Even with the Barlow I am not able to separate the rings from the planet.

TargetM44, Praesape, Beehive Cluster
ConstellationCnc
CategoryDSO: OCl
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
2007 EST
CommentsSomeone has asked what Praesape means and I didn’t remember ever having read it. I looked it up in the Audubon guide which says it means the manger in Latin.

TargetM41
ConstellationCMa
CategoryDSO: OCl
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20070302 EST
CommentsThe sky around the cluster looked a little gray and I didn’t see many stars tonight.

TargetM35
ConstellationGem
CategoryDSO: OCl
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20070302 EST
CommentsI tried hopping to this but it was so high that I couldn’t see through the red dot finder to get the scope in the neighborhood. I came back to it later in the night and had better luck but when I found it I thought I was on the adjacent NGC based on what I was seeing in Planetarium. Peter said he has never seen the NGC and I was seeing M35. It was faint.

TargetM48
ConstellationHya
CategoryDSO: OCl
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20070302 EST
CommentsNot Seen
I hopped to it and Peter confirmed the star field, but neither of us saw anything.
I did not make any field notes again tonight so this is primarily a list of the places I went rather than what I saw there.

TargetFauna
Constellation
Category
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
2007 EST
CommentsThe goose flock seems to be getting bigger every day. The other night I saw then flying up toward the reservoir in a V formation for the first time. I fry the impression that they are gathering to begin their migration north. The make a great noise when they fly overhead. There is constant honking but also the sound of their wings. They sound like hinges in need of oil as they pass overhead. Tonight they seemed to be flying much lower than usual so were consequently more audible.

There is a much smaller population of ducks that hasn't swollen noticeably over the winter. The ducks don't quack to each other when they fly. The sound of their wings in the air is a much higher pitched squeak from that of the geese.

The raccoons were very active tonight. They spent most of their time in the grass north of the lawn and didn’t get into the garbage cans while I was looking.

TargetFlora
Constellation
Category
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
2007 EST
CommentsKin had been talking about pink and white blossoms around the Obelisk that sound to me like dogwoods. I took a ride down there tonight on Kin’s scooter and they are huge buds but no flowers yet. I checked all of the trees and none of them have labels on them. On the way back to TotL I swung out to the crosswalk at the East Drive just north of the Met where I thought there were similar trees and found a bunch of younger trees which also had huge buds. I am reasonably certain these are dogwoods although on the way out Peter said he thought they were cherry blossoms. We will have to wait until the flowers open to be sure.

Disclaimer
This is my personal record of my astronomical observations. It was written for my personal reference. The only reason it is in a blog is that a blog is a very convenient way to get the records formatted more or less uniformly and they will, hopefully, have greater longevity at Google where the servers are backed up than on my hard drive which never gets backed up. I occasionally include copyrighted material in my posts. I do this to make it convenient for me to access things I think I might want to refer to again. I think of this like making a photocopy of something I read that I put in a file where I can find it when I want it. As I understand copyright law, as explained in the DVD series Copyright Compliance by Chip Taylor Communications, this use is allowed under the Fair Use doctrine since I am not making any money on this blog, I don’t publicize the blog, and only occasionally post small excerpts of copyrighted works.


Disclosure
This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog does not accept any form of advertising, sponsorship, or paid insertions. We write for our own purposes. However, we may be influenced by our background, occupation, religion, political affiliation or experience.

The owner(s) of this blog will never receive compensation in any way from this blog.

The owner(s) of this blog is not compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the blog owners. If we claim or appear to be experts on a certain topic or product or service area, we will only endorse products or services that we believe, based on our expertise, are worthy of such endorsement. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider.

This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest.