26 February 2007

24 February 2007

Observing LocationTotL
Observational Period2000-0130 EST
Atmospheric Conditions
Cloud CoverClear
Temperature20s
Wind
HumidityHigh
Feels LikeCold

When I arrived it was clear and very transparent. Around midnight a stripe of cloud moved across the sky quickly and a ring formed around the moon. Even high up Saturn would not take magnification. When I got to the subway I found the pages of the book I was carrying were warped from the moisture they had absorbed.

TransparencyGood
becoming
Fair
SeeingII
InstrumentsTeleport 10" Donsonisn reflector - Peter
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway
Peter Tagatac
Kin Lee
The kingly brilliance of Sirius pierced the eye with a steely glitter, the star called Capella was yellow. Aldeberan and Betelgeux shone with a fiery red. To persons standing alone on a hill during a clear midnight such as this, the roll of the world eastward is almost a palpable movement.

Thomas Hardy

TargetM81, Bode’s Galaxy, NGC 3031
ConstellationUMa
CategoryDSO: Gal
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20070224.2015 EST
CommentsPeter was on the galaxies when I arrived. I easily saw M81.

TargetM82, Cigar Galaxy, NGC 3034
ConstellationUMa
CategoryDSO: Gal
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20070224.2015 EST
CommentsI had a lot of trouble seeing this one. Even at high magnification with averted vision it was only a hint.

TargetSaturn
ConstellationLeo
CategoryPlanet
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20070224.2030 EST
Comments
Object
Class
Classical Planet
Elongation164.37°W
Distance
Light Time
(from Earth)
8.24 AU
1h08m
Distance
(from Sun)
9.19 Au
Angular Size20.1"x17.8"
Ring
Angular
Size
45.6"x11.4"
Ring
Inclination
14.43°
Magnitude0.0
Altitude47.28°
Saturn was looking good. The view was crisp and stable. I coule see the Casini division, more prominently to the west of the planet. The C ring was visible in front of the planet and planet shadow was visible on the rings close to the planet. We saw four moons and noted movement of the closest moons.

TargetMoon
ConstellationTau
CategoryLunar
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20070224.2100 EST
Comments
Lunation1041
PhaseFirst Quarter
+18h
Age7d9h45m
Distance
Light Time
(from earth)
374,000 km
1.25s
Elongation99.48°E
% Illuminated58.2%
Magnitude-10.6
Angular Size32'2"
Altitude56.73°
I noted the Altai Scarp and the Alpine Valley.
South of Mare Imbrium I found a darkened area that looked like a couple of mitochondria surrounded by an arcing white line. Peter identified the line in one of his Palm apps as being Rima Hyginus, but we weren’t able to identify the hummocky feature. Unfortunately that area is on four different LAC plates and stitching even two of them is difficult. It appears that we were looking at the area around Boscovich and Julius Caesar.
[3Mar07 Peter has subsequently advised that he had misidentified the feature and that it is really Vallis Shroteri which appears on the right and left edges of LAC charts 38 and 39 respectively. This identification does not stack with my description of the midochondrea being inside the white arc.]

LAC plate 38 detail

LAC plate 39 detail

TargetM35
ConstellationGem
CategoryDSP: OCl
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20070224 EST
CommentsM35 looked huge, filling whatever eyepiece peter had in at the time. There were some color differences evident among the stars.

TargetM104, Sombrero Galaxy, NGC 4594
ConstellationVir
CategoryDSO: Gal
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20070225 EST
CommentsPeter went after three galaxies that were fairly close together. I think M104 was one of them and the first one. It was a large galaxy that was much brighter at its core which was offset to the lower right of the FoV. At the top the

TargetM94, NGC4736
ConstellationCVn
CategoryDSL: Gal
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20070225 EST
CommentsThis galaxy was a lot smaller than M104 and fainter. It formed a right triangle with two brighter stars.

TargetAlgieba, γ Leo
ConstellationLeo
CategoryDouble Star
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
2007 EST
CommentsMag 2.3/3.5, 4.7”
A close double that did not cleanly split.

TargetCor Caroli, α CVn
ConstellationCvn
CategoryDouble Stars
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20070225 EST
Comments Mag 2.9/5.5, 19.3”
A wide double; one star was white and the other yellow.

Disclaimer
This is my personal record of my astronomical observations. It was written for my personal reference. The only reason it is in a blog is that a blog is a very convenient way to get the records formatted more or less uniformly and they will, hopefully, have greater longevity at Google where the servers are backed up than on my hard drive which never gets backed up. I occasionally include copyrighted material in my posts. I do this to make it convenient for me to access things I think I might want to refer to again. I think of this like making a photocopy of something I read that I put in a file where I can find it when I want it. As I understand copyright law, as explained in the DVD series Copyright Compliance by Chip Taylor Communications, this use is allowed under the Fair Use doctrine since I am not making any money on this blog, I don’t publicize the blog, and only occasionally post small excerpts of copyrighted works.


Disclosure
This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog does not accept any form of advertising, sponsorship, or paid insertions. We write for our own purposes. However, we may be influenced by our background, occupation, religion, political affiliation or experience.

The owner(s) of this blog will never receive compensation in any way from this blog.

The owner(s) of this blog is not compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the blog owners. If we claim or appear to be experts on a certain topic or product or service area, we will only endorse products or services that we believe, based on our expertise, are worthy of such endorsement. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider.

This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest.