09 March 2007

9 March 2007

Observing LocationVP
Observational Period1015-1030 EST
Atmospheric Conditions
Cloud CoverScattered Clouds
~50% cirrus and cirostratus
Temperature21°F
Wind6 MPH
HumidityModerate
Feels LikeComfortable
13°F Wind Chill

It looks so nice out when you are in. But once you are out you know it was better in.

TransparencyGood
SeeingII
InstrumentsBrunton 8x21 compact binocular w/Welco gold shade 14 welder's filter - Charlie
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway

Target Sunspots
ConstellationAqr
CategorySolar
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20070309.1015 EST
Comments
Distance
Light Time
0.993 AU
8m15s
Angular Size32'13"
Altitude38.04°
Heliographic Latitude
(B0)
-7.24°
Heliographic Longitude
(L0)
288.03°
Position Angle
(P)
-23.39°
Carrington rotation number
(CR)
2054

Nothing was seen again today.

 Groups SpotsR
North0 0 0
South0 0 0
Total0 0 0
R = (Groups * 10) + Spots)



I have a new birthday star in Ophiuchus. 58 Ophiuchi, NS 1743-2140, is a magnitude 4.86 star so if I had a dark sky I might be able to see it naked-eye. It is 57.2 light years away. Unfortunately this is currently a morning object and I am not a morning person.


Joint Astronomy Center graphic



Observing LocationTotL
Observational Period2030-2400 EST
Atmospheric Conditions
Cloud Cover
Temperature31°F
WindLight Breeze
HumidityHigh
Feels LikeRaw

It felt a lot colder than the temperature indicates because of all of the moisture in the air. I anticipated that seeing would not be great but there was more atmosphere there than I thought there would be.

TransparencyFair
SeeingII
Instruments Canon 15x50 IS binocular – Charlie
Celestron 5x50 binocular - Kin
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway
Kin Lee

Target48 Ori
ConstellationOri
CategoryDouble Star
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20070309.2035 EST
Comments There is a faint secondary at 10:00. The primary looks a little funy like it could be a pair of equal brightness close doubles.

TargetM42, Great Orion Nebula
ConstellationOri
CategoryDSO: EmNeb
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20070309.2045 EST
CommentsNot very impressive. The nebulosity barely shown brighter than the background sky and would have been missed if not for the dark patch in the open fish mouth. It was the most prominent thing I could find quickly for a guy who wanted to look at something.

TargetAlnitak
ConstellationOri
CategoryDouble Star
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20070309.2050 EST
CommentsPlanetarium shows it as a double with the Mag 10 secondary out at 1:00. I can see a red spike on top of the star at 11:45.

TargetNGC 2112
ConstellationOri
CategoryDSO: GCl
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20070309.2100 EST
CommentsNot Seen

Target52 Ori
ConstellationOri
CategoryDouble Star
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20070309.21## EST
CommentsThere might be a very close red secondary at 12:30.

TargetM35, NGC 2168
ConstellationGem
CategoryDSO: OCl
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20070309.21## EST
CommentsI saw several faint stars clustered in the rigtht spot.

TargetNGC 2215
ConstellationMon
CategoryDSO: OCl
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20070309.21## EST
CommentsNot Seen

Targetβ Monocerotis
ConstellationMon
CategoryDouble Star
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20070309.21## EST
CommentsVery wide and very unequal.

TargetNGC 2232
ConstellationMon
CategoryDSO: OCl
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20070309.22## EST
CommentsI see three lines of stars decreasing in size from about 3° on the right to a single star out to the left of the last line. There is a group of faint stars beneath the single stars. All of this probably takes up about 1/3 of the FoV.

TargetNGC 2170
ConstellationMon
CategoryDSO: Gal
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20070309.22## EST
CommentsI saw TYC 4795-01329-1 nearby, but not the galaxy.

TargetNGC 2286
ConstellationMon
CategoryDSO: OCl
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20070309.22## EST
CommentsNot Seen

TargetHD 52265
ConstellationMon
CategoryExoplanet
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20070309.23## EST
CommentsI can’t see anything particular about this star in the binocular other than that it is a little brighter than others around it. In planetarium it has a diamond around it which is the symbol I use for exoplanets but I was having trouble selecting it to confirm that doe to its proximity to HD33719.

TargetNGC 2311
ConstellationMon
CategoryDSO: OCl
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20070309.2315EST
CommentsSecond of three stars ???

TargetNGC 2354
ConstellationCMs
CategoryDSO: OCl
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20070309.23## EST
CommentsNot Seen

TargetNGC 3262
ConstellationCMa
CategoryDSO:
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20070309.23## EST
Comments I could see a couple of stars just to the left of the Time-Warner building and not much higher on the horizon which turned out to be the tail end of the Great Dog. Poking around in the area I worked up to this cluster which I found but didn’t make any notes about.

Disclaimer
This is my personal record of my astronomical observations. It was written for my personal reference. The only reason it is in a blog is that a blog is a very convenient way to get the records formatted more or less uniformly and they will, hopefully, have greater longevity at Google where the servers are backed up than on my hard drive which never gets backed up. I occasionally include copyrighted material in my posts. I do this to make it convenient for me to access things I think I might want to refer to again. I think of this like making a photocopy of something I read that I put in a file where I can find it when I want it. As I understand copyright law, as explained in the DVD series Copyright Compliance by Chip Taylor Communications, this use is allowed under the Fair Use doctrine since I am not making any money on this blog, I don’t publicize the blog, and only occasionally post small excerpts of copyrighted works.


Disclosure
This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog does not accept any form of advertising, sponsorship, or paid insertions. We write for our own purposes. However, we may be influenced by our background, occupation, religion, political affiliation or experience.

The owner(s) of this blog will never receive compensation in any way from this blog.

The owner(s) of this blog is not compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the blog owners. If we claim or appear to be experts on a certain topic or product or service area, we will only endorse products or services that we believe, based on our expertise, are worthy of such endorsement. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider.

This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest.