31 July 2006

30 July 2006

Observing LocationMet Oval
Observational Period1815-1830 EDT
Atmospheric ConditionsHot, moderate humidity, light haze, dead air. Scattered clouds, mostly on the horizon.
TransparencyFair
SeeingGood
InstrumentsCanon 15x50 IS binocular w/Baader AstroSolar filter film - Charlie
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway

Target Sunspots
Constellation Gem
Category Solar
Time20060730.1815 EDT
CommentsIt took a little bit but I finally found Group 901. It wasn't where I was expecting it and looked more like a southern hemisphere spot again. I continued looking to see if anything new had rotated onto the earthward side of the sun and found another very small spot above "901", the real 901. This one is definitely a northern hemisphere group and what is assumedly 902 is definitely a southern hemisphere group. They appear to be lined up one over the other and about 2/3 the distance from the meridian to the limb. 901 is a single spot and small but very solid once it is found. The new spot is as big as 901 was yesterday.

[17Aug06: Yesterday Universe Today published an article describing what I think is this tiny spot and saying that it may indicate the start of the next solar cycle.]

  Groups Spots R
North 1 1 11
South 1 1 11
Total 2 2 22
R = (Groups * 10) + Spots)


Observing LocationTotL
Observational Period2030-0030 EDT
Atmospheric ConditionsIt was hot and humid and cooled down to warm and humid. There was little air movement so there was a period when there were lots of mosquitoes. Clouds started moving in from the west at midnight and before 0030 EDT most of the sky was obscured but it was breaking up by the time I was packed and leaving.. For the most part the sky was clear but there was haze in the air and the sky was not as black as it could have been.
Good
TransparencyFair
Seeing
InstrumentsSAR: Coulter CT-100 - Charlie
SAR started out the night providing pretty good views. There was the usual ghost image to the upper left of bright objects that isn't a problem when I am looking at stars, but it covered Ganymede when it was moving away from Jupiter. Then something happened and my bright stars had long double tails on them. I tried adjusting both cages on the bar and the eyepiece and wasn't able to get rid of them. I also noticed a gray arc in the upper right quadrant of the FoV where it was darker than the rest of the FoV but not so dark that I couldn't see brighter stars through it. It had a very sharp edge to it like the eyepiece wasn't lined up properly in the Barlow and I was seeing a field stop.

Celestron 7x50 binocular - Kin
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway
Kin Lee

TargetMoon
ConstellationVir
CategoryLunar
Time20060730.2040 EDT
CommentsA rim inside Mare Serenitatis [Dorsa Smirnov] looks very dark on the shadowed side and a central peak [Dorsa Azara] is just poking out of the shadow next to the terminator
The terminator looks serrated with teeth of shadow extending into the light, or vice versa.
Earthshine has turned the remainder of the disk a dark gray. I could see it against the background sky but could not see any detail on it.

TargetJupiter
ConstellationVir
CategoryPlanet
Time20060730.2045 EDT
CommentsCalisto and Ganymede out to the left, Io close on the right Europa was up against the planet on the left side where all my flare is and couldn't be seen.
At 2125 Io was approaching the limb but could still be cleanly split.

TargetIridium 18 Flare
Constellation
CategorySatellite
Time20060730.2109 EDT
CommentsNot Seen
May have been too far south and behind the tree.

TargetIridium 21 Flare
ConstellationCyg
CategorySatellite
Time20060730.2128 EDT
CommentsWhile waiting for this flare I saw another satellite track through on a parallel path. Initially I thought it must be the iridium but it was too early. While I was looking for a listing for it in my PDA the iridium started its pass and had already flared by the time I saw it.

TargetUnknown Satellite
ConstellationDra
CategorySatellite
Time20060730.2225 EDT
CommentsI noticed this satellite moving from north through east in Draco or Cepheus. There is nothing in Heavens Above or PocketSat+ that is going in the right direction to be the one we saw

TargetNGC457
ConstellationCas
CategoryDeep Sky Object
Time20060730.2359 EDT
CommentsCan see it with averted but can't describe it. It looks like a line of stars.

TargetM103, NGC581
ConstellationCas
CategoryDeep Sky Object
Time20060730.2309 EDT
CommentsDetected
HIP 7232 looks funny, won't resolve like the other stars in the field

TargetNGC663
ConstellationCas
CategoryDeep Sky Object
Time20060730.2321 EDT
CommentsNot Seen

TargetNGC559
ConstellationCas
CategoryDeep Sky Object
Time20060730.2329 EDT
CommentsNot Seen
The integrated magnitude is around the limiting magnitude of my scope for a star.

TargetThe Engagement Ring
ConstellationUMi
CategoryAsterism
Time20060730.2345 EDT
CommentsToo big for the Barlow. It fits in the FoV but crowds the edges. It looks good at 20x but needs a darker sky.

Disclaimer
This is my personal record of my astronomical observations. It was written for my personal reference. The only reason it is in a blog is that a blog is a very convenient way to get the records formatted more or less uniformly and they will, hopefully, have greater longevity at Google where the servers are backed up than on my hard drive which never gets backed up. I occasionally include copyrighted material in my posts. I do this to make it convenient for me to access things I think I might want to refer to again. I think of this like making a photocopy of something I read that I put in a file where I can find it when I want it. As I understand copyright law, as explained in the DVD series Copyright Compliance by Chip Taylor Communications, this use is allowed under the Fair Use doctrine since I am not making any money on this blog, I don’t publicize the blog, and only occasionally post small excerpts of copyrighted works.


Disclosure
This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog does not accept any form of advertising, sponsorship, or paid insertions. We write for our own purposes. However, we may be influenced by our background, occupation, religion, political affiliation or experience.

The owner(s) of this blog will never receive compensation in any way from this blog.

The owner(s) of this blog is not compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the blog owners. If we claim or appear to be experts on a certain topic or product or service area, we will only endorse products or services that we believe, based on our expertise, are worthy of such endorsement. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider.

This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest.