27 July 2006

26 July 2006

Observing LocationTotL
Observational Period1815-2330 EDT
Instruments Canon 15x50 IS binocular - Charlie
Takahashi 22x60 binocular - Peter Fujinon 7x50 binocular - Peter
Atmospheric ConditionsThe sky appeared blue over most of the vault except near the western horizon where there were some clouds and haze. As the sun got closer to setting the impression of haze reached all the way up to the zenith. By the time I left the whole sky was milky except in the Cygnus to Vega area. That area was hazy also but at least I could see the brighter stars there. The temperature was mild for the season but the air continued humid. Peter was complaining of the mosquitoes when we moved from the NE corner of the lawn to TotL proper. I wasn't bothered until around 2300 EDT when I was well bitten.
TransparencyPoor
SeeingFair
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway
Peter Tagatac
Kin Lee

Target Sunspots
Constellation Psc
Category Solar
Time2006 EDT
CommentsGroup 901 is the only one visible. I can plainly make out a slightly elongated spot and get a hint of darkening behind that spot where SOHO shows two much smaller spots. It appears very close to the equator and possibly north of it but I am still calling it south until I can check online about it.
  Groups Spots R
North 0 0 0
South 1 1 11
Total 1 1 11

[ 27Jul06: I determined today that this spot is actually in the northerh hemisphere]

TargetRobins
Constellation
CategoryFauna
Time20060726.2017 EDT
CommentsThe hawk flew over heading east followed by a flight of robins. They did not seem to be harassing the hawk. Just after Peter declaired sunset bunches of them flew back across the lawn from the east and roosted in the dormitory trees.

TargetHawks
Constellation
CategoryFauna
Time20060726.2020 EDT
CommentsTwo hawks flew over us from the west to the east, or maybe it was one hawk twice.

TargetYoung crescent Moon
ConstellationLeo
CategoryLunar
Time2006.0726.2023 EDT
I initially had this down as 2018 EDT but Peter said that was before sunset and we hadn't found the Moon at that time. I picked this time off my wrist watch which keeps very accurate time but am assuming that I misread it by five minutes.
CommentsNot Seen
I had given up on this one and was waiting for Jupiter to show up. The lower down the sun got the more apparent the haze got..

Although it wasn't the first crescent Peter and I have finally seen an old crescent of one lunation and a young crescent of the next lunation. On Monday morning we saw the last crescent Moon of Lunation 1034 at 28d7h22m. Last night we tried for the first crescent of Lunation 1035 but got clouded out. Tonight we finally saw a 1d19h56m. So our bracket duration was 2d14h59m.

Peter found it first and as soon as he gave me a reference to it I found it.. The crescent appeared from around 2:30 to around 6:30. Shortly before setting I caught flashes of it naked eye but never saw it for any period of time. There appeared to me to be a ripple in the atmosphere that rose up repeatedly across the Moon, like an old rolling TV picture. As low as the Moon was there had to have been a lot of atmospheric disturbance from the heated roofs and air conditioner exhausts from all the buildings on the west side of the park.

TargetJupiter
ConstellationLibra
CategoryPlanet
Time20060726.2046 EDT
CommentsI switched over to Jupiter as soon as the Moon had dropped into the trees from my location,
All four moons were out to the left, the two closest in, Io and Europa, were right on top of each other. In my binocular I could tell that there were two moons side by side. In Peter's binocular they were easily split, being lined up 11:00 to 5:00.

TargetIridium 67
ConstellationCyg
CategorySatellite
Time20060726.2142 EDT
CommentsAt Mag 0.3 this was not a spectacular flare but it was brighter than any of the stars in Cygnus.
Moving W to E.

TargetIridium 14 Flare
ConstellationCygnus
CategorySatellite
Time20060726.2148 EDT
CommentsThis was a much brighter flare when it actually did flare. It appeared beneath Deneb and got most of the way to the right wing before it flared. It crossed above the break in the wing and dimmed quickly but remained visible until it was about under Alberio.
Moving W to E.

TargetIridium 20 Flare
ConstellationAnd
CategorySatellite
Time20060726.2307 EDT
CommentsNot Seen
Mag -2.
The sky was white and bright low to the NE.

TargetGenesis 1
ConstellationUMi
CategorySatellite
Time20060426.2322 EDT
CommentsI didn't get an alarm for this event but had set my binocular on Polaris when I got the alarm for the last Iridium flare and think I was looking through them when this pass occurred but I didn't see anything. I don't know how far it passed from Polaris or on which side so I might not have been looking in the right place.

Disclaimer
This is my personal record of my astronomical observations. It was written for my personal reference. The only reason it is in a blog is that a blog is a very convenient way to get the records formatted more or less uniformly and they will, hopefully, have greater longevity at Google where the servers are backed up than on my hard drive which never gets backed up. I occasionally include copyrighted material in my posts. I do this to make it convenient for me to access things I think I might want to refer to again. I think of this like making a photocopy of something I read that I put in a file where I can find it when I want it. As I understand copyright law, as explained in the DVD series Copyright Compliance by Chip Taylor Communications, this use is allowed under the Fair Use doctrine since I am not making any money on this blog, I don’t publicize the blog, and only occasionally post small excerpts of copyrighted works.


Disclosure
This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog does not accept any form of advertising, sponsorship, or paid insertions. We write for our own purposes. However, we may be influenced by our background, occupation, religion, political affiliation or experience.

The owner(s) of this blog will never receive compensation in any way from this blog.

The owner(s) of this blog is not compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the blog owners. If we claim or appear to be experts on a certain topic or product or service area, we will only endorse products or services that we believe, based on our expertise, are worthy of such endorsement. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider.

This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest.