06 June 2006

5 June 2006

Observing LocationMcGraw Ave @ Metropolitan Ave, Bronx, NY
Observational Period2310-2325 EDT
Atmospheric ConditionsI Had been out at about 2200 EDT and it was mostly cloudy with some breaks between the couds. The Moon was shining through the thin clouds neat the breaks and an occasional star would be seen when A break passed over it. It looked like it might be breaking up though so when an alarm wert off for a satellite passing close to the Moon I headed back downstairs and couldn't find a cloud anywhere I looked. There was no moisture ring around the Moon and Mag 3.9 and 4.7 stars were seen close by so I have to assume the armosphere was pretty transparent. The temperature was a little cool for the season but did not feel moist although rain is expected tomorrow.
InstrumentsNaked-eye observing - Charlie
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway

TargetLacrosse 5 Visible Pass
ConstellationVir
CategorySatellite
Time2006.0605.2319 EDT
CommentsI picked up the satellite moving through the sky horizontally about 15° west of the Moon and tracked it until it was about 10° from the limb. It appeared that it would pass beneath the Moon. I did not recover it on the dark side of the Moon.

From CalSky.com:

Satellit USA 182/Lacrosse 5 (28646 2005-016-A)
Accurate time: 23h19m15.33s
Close to Moon. Separation=0.462° 
Position Angle=140.9°
Angular Velocity=19.6'/s
Angular diameter=3.0" cylindrical, 18.0m x 4.5m
Satellite at Azimuth=231.3° SW 
             Altitude= 29.6° 
             Distance=1267.6 km 
Magnitude=3.6mag
Satellite apparently moves to clock-face 
          direction 8:55 o'clock
Centerline, Closest Point: Longitude= 74°10'56" W 
                           Latitude=+40°38'59" 
                           Distance=20.34 km 
                           Azimuth=236.9° WSW 
Path direction: 146.7° SSE 
ground speed: 7.342 km/s 
width: 23.4 km max. 
duration: 1.5 s

Heavens Above listed the pass at Mag 3.2 and going from the WNW at 2314 EDT through maximum altitude in the WSW at 2319 and disappearing in the SW at 2319. That would explain why I did not recover it after it passed the Moon and maybe why I lost it where I did.

The Moon is obviously gibous but it doesn't look like it is past First Quarter by too much (3Jun06 @ 1906 EDT, longer than I thought). I did not see Mare Crissium but Mare Fecunditatis, Mare Tranquilitatis and Mare Nubium were obvious.

The Moon is to the right and a little higher than Spica. Jupiter is out to the left of Spica about the same distance away as the Moon is and at about the same altitude. Very high above Spica is Arcturus. This configuration reminds me of a brass heel indicator on a boat, Jupiter, Spica and the Moon marking the arc at the bottom of the instrument where the angle of heel is inscribed and the line from Arcturus to Spica representing the plumb bob. This effect should be even bore striking tomorrow night when the big, bright Moon will be between the smaller and fainter Spica and Jupiter.

Disclaimer
This is my personal record of my astronomical observations. It was written for my personal reference. The only reason it is in a blog is that a blog is a very convenient way to get the records formatted more or less uniformly and they will, hopefully, have greater longevity at Google where the servers are backed up than on my hard drive which never gets backed up. I occasionally include copyrighted material in my posts. I do this to make it convenient for me to access things I think I might want to refer to again. I think of this like making a photocopy of something I read that I put in a file where I can find it when I want it. As I understand copyright law, as explained in the DVD series Copyright Compliance by Chip Taylor Communications, this use is allowed under the Fair Use doctrine since I am not making any money on this blog, I don’t publicize the blog, and only occasionally post small excerpts of copyrighted works.


Disclosure
This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog does not accept any form of advertising, sponsorship, or paid insertions. We write for our own purposes. However, we may be influenced by our background, occupation, religion, political affiliation or experience.

The owner(s) of this blog will never receive compensation in any way from this blog.

The owner(s) of this blog is not compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the blog owners. If we claim or appear to be experts on a certain topic or product or service area, we will only endorse products or services that we believe, based on our expertise, are worthy of such endorsement. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider.

This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest.