20 May 2006
| Last Crescent | First Crescent | Notes |
|---|---|---|
| 9Apr05 1940 EDT 1d3h8m 1.5% | ||
| 7Jun05 2026 EDT 1d2h40m 1.1% | ||
| 3Aug05 0500 EDT 27d21h11m 2.9% | next to last crescent | |
| 2Sep05 0542 EDT 28d6h36m 1.8% |   | |
| 26Feb06 0632 EST 27d21h16m 3.7% | 28Feb06 1800 EST 23h8m 1.4% | next to last crescent 59h27m between moons |
| 28Apr06 2000 EDT 1d4h15m 2% |
| Observing Location: | Parkchester, Bronx, NY
I started out on the White Plains Rd overpass over the Cross Bronx Expressway and finished up in front of my building. | ||||
|---|---|---|---|---|---|
| Observational Period: | 2215-2245 EDT | ||||
| Atmospheric Conditions: | I think conditions were better at the time I was out than CSC was predicting. When I was able to shield my eyes from the street lamps -- not an easy task -- I was able to see quite a few stars. I probably should have gone to TotL but the forecast wasn't that good the last time I checked.
| ||||
| Instruments: | Naked-eye observing - Charlie | ||||
| Observing Party: | Charlie Ridgway |
| Target: | Iridium 31 Flare |
|---|---|
| Constellation: | CMi |
| Category: | Satellite |
| Time: | 20060520.2233 EDT |
| Comments: | Planetarium said the flare was supposed to appear directly over Procyon but it appeared south of there and was moving to the west. It disappeared just before getting over Procyon. It was supposed to have been a Mag -1 but didn't look that bright. But Procyon was only just visible unless you shielded your eyes from all the street lamps. |
| Target: | Envisat |
|---|---|
| Constellation: | |
| Category: | Satellite |
| Time: | 20060520.2233 EDT |
| Comments: | Not Seen
Envisat is usually fairly bright. Tonight it was supposed to come out of the S, pass high in the W, and disappear in the NNW, at Mag 3.0. I think I should have been able to see it but the street lights were very bothersome. |
| Target: | Iridium 4 rocket |
|---|---|
| Constellation: | |
| Category: | Satellite |
| Time: | 20060520.2235 EDT |
| Notes: | Not Seen
After not seeing Envisat I wasn't expecting to see this Mag 3.9 object but gave it a try anyway. This is the first time I can remember seeing an Iridium rocket listed. It was cominng out of the N, passing through E, and disappearing in the ESE. Maximum altitude in the E was 64 deg and shadow entry was at 53 deg. |
| Target: | Jupiter |
|---|---|
| Constellation: | Lib |
| Category: | Planet |
| Time: | 20060520.2240 EDT |
| Comments: | When I left the house to go observe the Iridium flare Jupiter was the first thing I saw, shining through the leaves of the trees lining the street, so I stopped to take a look at it before going back upstairs. Just below and to the left of the planet was Zubin Elgenubi. Well above it and shining brightly was Bootes and I could see the kite's tail star to the right. About equal in altitude and a way too the right was Spica. |
| Target: | Lyra |
|---|---|
| Constellation: | Lyr |
| Category: | Constellation |
| Time: | 20060520.2245 EDT |
| Comments: | Below Vega I could plainly see Sheliak and Sulafat (Mag 3.52 and 3.25 respectively) at the bottom of the parallelogram. I could intermittently see zeta Lyr (Mag 4.5) and the epsilon Lyr double (Mag 4.58) if I blocked out the street lights. |
When I was getting ready to go out I picked up my red LED flashlight to protect my night vision -- a futile effort given all the street lights. Before leaving I tried to turn it on to test the battery and couldn't twist the front end to force contact with the battery. I thought the battery had probably leaked so got pliers and forced it open. It was hard work but I finally got the bulb container moving and it got easier all the time. Then all of a sudden there was a crack like a 22 caliber gun shot and the bulb holder was in one hand and the battery holder in the other. It appears that the battery had given off gas that built up enough pressure to bind the threads on the two pieces. I examined the battery and there was no leakage so I put it back in and the light was bright and did not dim when it was left on so I took it with me. When I got home I unscrewed the bulb holder to check the battery again for leakage before putting it away and again experienced the explosive release of gas although it was not nearly as loud, the case only having been closed for an hour. I checked the battery on my meter and it is just in the replace zone, plenty of juice to run a LED flashlight and more juice than is running my identical white LED flashlight. I replaced the with a used Duracell and checked it after an hour and no gas buildup. The battery that is giving me problems is a Red Cell brand battery that I bought in a 40 pack on sale at CompUSA for under $10. This is the first time I have had a problem with any of those batteries, but it is probably the first time one of them has been used in a waterproof environment. The flashlight is a CMG Infinity. It is a great flashlight as there are no moving parts. You screw in the bulb holder until it makes contact with the top of the battery pressing the bottom against the bottom of the battery holder which is milled out of solid aluminum. There isn't even a spring involved.


<< Home