30 June 2006
| Observing Location | Met Oval | ||||
|---|---|---|---|---|---|
| Observational Period | 1745-1800 EDT | ||||
| Atmospheric Conditions | Scattered cumulous clouds and haze. Hot with a light breezes. I didn't notice any boiling.
| ||||
| Instruments | Canon 15x50 IS binocular w/Baader AstroSolar filter film- Charlie | ||||
| Observing Party | Charlie Ridgway |
| Target | Sunspots | ||||||||||||||||
|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|
| Constellation | Gem | ||||||||||||||||
| Category | Solar | ||||||||||||||||
| Time | 20060630.1745 EDT | ||||||||||||||||
| Comments |
|
| Observing Location | Parkchester South Condominium Oval | ||||
|---|---|---|---|---|---|
| Observational Period | 1935-1950 EDT | ||||
| Atmospheric Conditions | Partly cloudy, mostly low on the horizon to the W. NOAA has severe weather warnings posted for Passaic County but I can't tell yet what direction the storm is headed. It is still hot, hazy and humid.
| ||||
| Instruments | Naked-eye observing - Charlie | ||||
| Observing Party | Charlie Ridgway |
| Target | Daytime Iridium Flare |
|---|---|
| Constellation | |
| Category | Satellite |
| Time | 20060630.1744 EDT |
| Comments | Not Seen
Iridium flared at Mag -6.8. I estimated its position right on the edge of a cloud that was covering more of the sky all the time |
| Observing Location | TotL | ||||
|---|---|---|---|---|---|
| Observational Period | |||||
| Atmospheric Conditions | It was not looking good to the W when I left Parkchester but I was out with most of my equipment (I forgot to move the Palm from my computer bag to my observing bag so am without my guide dog tonight) so kept going. When the train got to the high point around here where it crosses over the Bronx River (the only true river in NYC) it was very gray out over NJ. This may be a mistake, but they are saying chances of rain here are low, and all the forecasts agree that conditions will improve after sunset then equivocate for a while before improving again after midnight. I am on the subway already so am going to keep going and see what conditions are like in Manhattan when I arrive.
By the time I got to 96 St people were starting to get on the subway with wet 9lothes and umbrellas. I got off the train at 86 St and the streets were wet but it was only raining lightly like it was stopping. To be safe I went around the corner and ducked into Barnes & Noble and browsed the books for a while. When I came out it was raining harder and there was a flash of lightning so I gave up and headed back home. Of course by the time I got there it had stopped raining. But it was still overcast with only a few rifts where a nice, blue, late twilight sky was showing through
| ||||
| Instruments | SAR: Coulter CT-100 -Charlie
Canon 15x50 IS binocular - Charlie | ||||
| Observing Party | Charlie Ridgway |
Summary of Observing Time for the Year to Date:
| Day | Night | Total | |||||||
|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|
| Hours | Days | Avg | Hours | Days | Avg | Hours | Days | Avg | |
| Jan | 3.25 | 4 | 0.81 | 17.50 | 6 | 2.92 | 20.75 | 9 | 2.31 |
| Feb | 1.00 | 1 | 1.00 | 10.25 | 6 | 1.71 | 11.25 | 6 | 1.88 |
| Mar | 2.00 | 1 | 2.00 | 12.00 | 7 | 1.71 | 14.00 | 8 | 1.75 |
| Apr | 12.5 | 12 | 1.04 | 40.75 | 14 | 2.91 | 53.25 | 16 | 3.33 |
| May | 3.00 | 4 | 0.75 | 27.00 | 10 | 2.70 | 30.00 | 10 | 3.00 |
| Jun | 7.00 | 7 | 1.00 | 18.50 | 12 | 1.54 | 25.50 | 13 | 1.96 |
| TOTAL | 28.75 | 29 | 0.99 | 126.00 | 55 | 2.50 | 154.75 | 62 | 2.64 |
Clear Sky Clock Accuracy for the Month of June 2006
This month CSC provided a correct forecast much more frequently than they have during previous months when I have tracked them. When they were wrong they were optimistic most of the time (65%) with observed conditions being worse than forecast.
Overall they have been right about 56% of the time. When they are wrong conditions are more likely to be worse (54%) or much worse (16%) than they forecast rather than being better (23%) or much better (9%). They seem to be biased toward optimism but that is probably good since you go out and grumble about conditions not being as good as forecast but still see something, rather than staying home and kicking yourself for it later when you find out it was a better night than was forecast. If you don't go out you don't even have a chance of seeing anything.
I forgot that I was supposed to be making this assessment again this month and missed the first four days of the month. In previous months I have missed a day here or there. In the grand scheme of things I don’t think the string of missing days amounts to a wart on a flea.
<< Home