27 May 2006
| Observing Location | TotL
We started out just north of ballfield #2 on the perimeter walk and moved up to TotL after the moon had sunk behind the trees in the west. The infield sprinklers never came on tonight and around midnight we heard sprinklers come on way back by the police precinct. This was an unusual place and I was considering the probability of the sprinklers just inside the fence where we were standing coming on when they did. Fortunately we had time to move everything to the north side of the walk before they rotated over in our direction, and the wind, which was light, was from the north so the mist was blown away from us. | ||||
|---|---|---|---|---|---|
| Observational Period | 1900-0100 EDT | ||||
| Atmospheric Conditions | Mild. When we started out there were clouds low on the western horizon. Later in the evening clouds started to build out of the NE and eventually filled most of the sky but then dissipated. Around the time the sprinklers came on the clouds were building again and we decided to pack it in. By the time we were all packed up the sprinklers had stopped and it was clear again. The sky was milky most of the night.
| ||||
| Instruments | Canon 15x50 IS binocular - Charlie
I suffered another bicycle-tripod calamity tonight. The bikers came through on their monthly ventral park tour and stopped to visit and look through the optics. Peter, having the biggest instrument, got most of the traffic but bicycles were parked everywhere. At some point a bicycle fell over next to my tripod. I didn't see that it had more than brushed the foot of the tripod and didn't think anything about it. A while later I bent over and it looked like the leg of the tripod was bent. When we tore down I wasn't able to collapse the lowest segment of that tripod leg. It took a lot of work but I eventually got the collar loosened and pulled the leg out and found an obvious kink in it. When we got out in front of the museum in brighter light I took it out and Peter and I examined it and found that not only is it bent, but the aluminum is cracked. It is at one of the milled detents where a nylon collar fits around it as a bushing. That is right where I suspected that the problem would be. I don't think it is repairable and will have to try to find out if the company is still in business nd can supply a replacement part. I don't remember the name of the manufacturer, only that they were in Westchester County. Takahashi 22x60 binocular - Peter
| ||||
| Observing Party | Charlie Ridgway
Peter Tagatac Kin Lee |
| Target | Sunspots | ||||||||||||||||
|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|
| Constellation | Tau | ||||||||||||||||
| Category | Solar | ||||||||||||||||
| Time | 20060524.1945 EDT | ||||||||||||||||
| Comments | The spots were small. Each group was composed of a larger spot and a smaller one close above it that came and went as the atmosphere changed. There was a large area of plage on the trailing limb that may have had a spot in it but it was only a suggestion and was not counted.
|
| Target | Mercury |
|---|---|
| Constellation | Tau |
| Category | Planet |
| Time | 20060527.2028 EDT |
| Comments | Mercury is 3.2 ° to the left of the Moon at Mag -1,3. Peter picked it up and it was obvious when he said where it was although I had just been over the area and had not seen it.. With all its light concentrated in one point it was easier to see, even naked eye, than was the Moon which was four magnitudes brighter. It was too small to show any detail though and was used only as an indicator for the location of the Moon. |
| Target | First Crescent Moon |
|---|---|
| Constellation | Tau |
| Category | Lunar |
| Time | 20060527.2026 EDT |
| Comments | I I got this one first at 19h00m. 0.9% illuminated, Mag -5.1. This is a record for me for both the youngest and thinnest moons seen my previous records being 23h8m and 1.1%. It appeared as an upper smiling lip. It was thin in the center then became fuller on each side and gradually thinned into the horns.. The moon was near enough in brightness to the surrounding sky that I was not able to see it naked eye and it was even difficult to recover in the binocular at times.
[The map below, which I copied from the Moon Watch web page, shows the likelihood of seeing the crescent. They mark the map in six zones: According to the map NYC is in zone B, but based on my observations it is actually in zone D, which is in wester Europe and northwestern Africa.] |
| Target | Mars |
|---|---|
| Constellation | Gem |
| Category | Planet |
| Time | 20060527.2150 EDT |
| Comments | Castor, Pollux and Mars were just coming into view as we arrived at TotL. Mars continues to race across the sky and forms a thin, elongated triangle (scalene?) with the two stars. I thought it would probably be in a line with them tomorrow night but in stepping through Planetarium I found that that will not happen until Tuesday, the 30th when Mars, the waxing crescent Moon, Pollux and Castor will appear fairly equally spaced, at least in the small screen of my PDA, in a fairly straight line. The best alignment appears to occur at around 2210 EDT. |
| Target | Jupiter |
|---|---|
| Category | Vir |
| Category | Planet |
| Time | 20060527.2109 EDT |
| Comments | The GRS was just rotating onto the disk. The NEB and SEB looked dark rust colored; the equatorial zone between them was more charcoal in color. The SSEB was visible.
Calisto and Ganymede on the leading limb, Io on the trailing limb, and Europa Later in the evening the GRS had rotated past the meridian and Europa was seen coming from eclipse, first in the scope and then in my binocular. (2306 EDT) |
| Target | Saturn |
|---|---|
| Constellation | Cnc |
| Category | Planet |
| Time | 20060527.2111 EDT |
| Comments | the Cassini division, disk shadow on planet, planet shadow on disk, and Titan were all seen in Peter's scope. |
| Target | ENVISAT |
|---|---|
| Constellation | Leo? |
| Category | Satellite |
| Time | 20060527.2215 EDT |
| Comments | It was fairly bright and appeared high in the sky. I lost it as it was passing through the NNE and never recovered it, it having gone behind some broken clouds when I looked back for it. |
| Target | Cor Caroli (the Heart of Charles), &alpha: CVn |
|---|---|
| Constellation | CVn |
| Category | Double Star |
| Time | 20060527.2339 EDT |
| Comments | Very unequal double; Easily split. I don't remember any great color difference. |
| Target | Lacrosse 5 |
|---|---|
| Constellation | UMI - Dra |
| Category | Sattelite |
| Time | 20060527.0035 EDT |
| Comments | Very bright and slow. Peter felt it was much brighter than the Heavens Above listing (Mag 2.9) and put it brighter than Deneb (Mag 1.25) |
There was one bright satellite pass tht I was looking for and just didn't see. I missed a Mag -1 Iridium flare because I had set the time an hour too late in the PDA so the warning alarm went of 55 minutes after the flare.
| Disclaimer This is my personal record of my astronomical observations. It was written for my personal reference. The only reason it is in a blog is that a blog is a very convenient way to get the records formatted more or less uniformly and they will, hopefully, have greater longevity at Google where the servers are backed up than on my hard drive which never gets backed up. I occasionally include copyrighted material in my posts. I do this to make it convenient for me to access things I think I might want to refer to again. I think of this like making a photocopy of something I read that I put in a file where I can find it when I want it. As I understand copyright law, as explained in the DVD series Copyright Compliance by Chip Taylor Communications, this use is allowed under the Fair Use doctrine since I am not making any money on this blog, I don’t publicize the blog, and only occasionally post small excerpts of copyrighted works. |
| Disclosure This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog does not accept any form of advertising, sponsorship, or paid insertions. We write for our own purposes. However, we may be influenced by our background, occupation, religion, political affiliation or experience. The owner(s) of this blog will never receive compensation in any way from this blog. The owner(s) of this blog is not compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the blog owners. If we claim or appear to be experts on a certain topic or product or service area, we will only endorse products or services that we believe, based on our expertise, are worthy of such endorsement. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider. This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest. |
<< Home