25 May 2006

24 May 2006

Observing LocationTotL
Observational Period2045-0145 EDT
We were all packed up and ready to go before midnight but then stood around talking. mostly about local clubs and events.
Observational ConditionsMost of the weather forecasts were saying it would be clear tonight and I was anticipating a carbon copy of last night. NOAA was saying clouds would begin to dissipate around 2100 EDT abd that by 2300 EDT there would be 0% cloud cover. But the reverse is what actually occurred. Around about 2300 EDT stripes of cloud began to pass over the area. Although we were able to see some of the stars of the Coma Berineces Star Cluster we were not seeing as many as we saw last night and the sky wasn't as dark as it was last night. It was still a good night.
TransparencyGood
SeeingGood
InstrumentsSAR: Coulter CT-100 - Charlie
Takahashi 102mm refractor - Peter
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway
Peter Tagatac
Kin Lee

TargetRobins
Constellation
CategoryFauna
Time2006524.2015 EDT
CommentsI entered the park at 72 St snd immediately passed a dormitory tree. As I walked north I continued to hear robins but not in the numbers that were in the dormitory tree until I got to TotL where the noise level picked up again but was already dieing down for the night.

TargetJupiter
ConstellationVir
CategoryPlanet
Time20060524.2105 EDT
CommentsIn SAR: One moon on the leading edge and three on the trailing limb. Maybe a dark stripe where the equatorial bands would be. The moons each have small tails.

TargetIridium 59 Flare
ConstellationCas
CategorySatellite
Time20060524.2118 EDT
CommentsNot Seen
This flare wa supposed to be low - 15 ° above the horizon - so I had moved all the way back to the NE ball field to be sure I would see low enough and still I missed it.
[Now that I see what constellation the flare was in I understand why I missed it. I think I was looking too far south.]

TargetSaturn & M44
ConstellationCnc
CategoryPlanet & Deep Sky Object
Time20060524.2150 EDT
CommentsIn SAR: Not round but not as cigar shaped as I am used to.
In the Tak: We observed it several times as passers by stopped to see what we were doing. Late in the evening at high power it looked soft but was still a nice sight. I don't remember seeing the Cassini Division or any moons.

TargetEnvisat
ConstellationDra - UMi
CategorySatellite
Time
CommentsPicked it up late in the orbit as we were trying to figure out why peter's Palm was not working properly at the time the pass started. It wasn't terribly bright but was easily visible.

TargetM13
ConstellationHer
CategoryDeep Sky Object
Time20060524.2300 EDT
CommentsIn SAR it was smaller than a pea but again looked extended horizontally.
In the Tak: At high power I could see a few points of light and it looked like it had arms; at low power it looked more circular with a central brightening and was the best view in my opinion.

TargetM57, The Ring Nebula
ConstellationLyr
CategoryDeep Sky Object
Time20060524.2315 EDT
CommentsIn SAR: I was on the FOV but could not see it. Peter thought he saw it but said it required averted and came and went.

TargetM92, NGC6341
ConstellationHer
CategoryDeep Sky Object
Time20060524.2315 EDT
CommentsIn the Tak: Dim but very concentrated at high power.

TargetAlberio
ConstellationCyg
CategoryDouble Star
Time20060524.2320 EDT
CommentsVery unequal. Golden and blue. Peter said it was an old friend but not knowing what he was pointed at I didn't make the connection until I thought about what direction the scope might be pointing in and what was out that way.

TargetIridium 34 Flare
ConstellationLeo
CategorySatellite
Time20060524.2325 EDT
CommentsThis Mag -7 flare fairly exploded on the sky at nearly peak brightness and started to fade very quickly but persisted much longer than most Iridiums.

TargetRasalgethe, α Her
ConstellationHer
CategoryDouble Star
Time20060524.2337 EDT
CommentsIn the Tak: At low power I could not split them cleanly but could tell that it was an unequal double without being told what I was supposed to be looking for. At high power it was an easy split with the secondary being at about 5:23 to the primary. The primary is very orange and the secondary is more white.

TargetNGC6210
ConstellationHer
CategoryDeep Sky Object
Time20060524.0007 EDT
CommentsPlanetary Nebula
Fairly bight and small but larger than a star and would not resolve. Peter thought it might be bluish but I couldn't detect any color other than gray. One of my Planetarium catalogs says it is bright blue.

Disclaimer
This is my personal record of my astronomical observations. It was written for my personal reference. The only reason it is in a blog is that a blog is a very convenient way to get the records formatted more or less uniformly and they will, hopefully, have greater longevity at Google where the servers are backed up than on my hard drive which never gets backed up. I occasionally include copyrighted material in my posts. I do this to make it convenient for me to access things I think I might want to refer to again. I think of this like making a photocopy of something I read that I put in a file where I can find it when I want it. As I understand copyright law, as explained in the DVD series Copyright Compliance by Chip Taylor Communications, this use is allowed under the Fair Use doctrine since I am not making any money on this blog, I don’t publicize the blog, and only occasionally post small excerpts of copyrighted works.


Disclosure
This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog does not accept any form of advertising, sponsorship, or paid insertions. We write for our own purposes. However, we may be influenced by our background, occupation, religion, political affiliation or experience.

The owner(s) of this blog will never receive compensation in any way from this blog.

The owner(s) of this blog is not compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the blog owners. If we claim or appear to be experts on a certain topic or product or service area, we will only endorse products or services that we believe, based on our expertise, are worthy of such endorsement. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider.

This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest.