22 May 2006
| Location: | TotL | ||||
|---|---|---|---|---|---|
| Observational Period: | 2115-2330 EDT | ||||
| Atmospheric Conditions: | Cool with scattered clouds. Moderate wind with gusts, the tripod and binocular kept getting buffeted making it hard to see detail until the wind stopped and the binocular settled.
| ||||
| Instruments: | Brunton 8x21 compact binocular - Charlie
These small binoculars are hard to hold steady. I looked through Peter's optics more than I did mine. Takahashi 22x60 binocular - Peter Fujinon 7x50 binocular - Peter | ||||
| Observing Party: | Charlie Ridgway
Peter Tagatac |
| Target: | Saturn and M44 |
|---|---|
| Constellation: | Cnc |
| Category: | Planet and Deep Sky Object |
| Time: | 20060522.2130 EDT |
| Comments: | Saturn looked very crisp in the lower right corner of Peter's binocular and was very obviously cigar shaped. M44 was easily inside the FOV at the upper right and showed good contrast with the background sky but I did not detect the stardust between the brighter stars. This is probably due to binocular movement. |
| Target: | Mars |
|---|---|
| Constellation: | Gem |
| Category: | Planet |
| Time: | 20060522.2130 EDT |
| Comments: | Observed naked-eye. Mars continues to move eastward and is now below Pollux's right hand. |
| Target: | Jupiter |
|---|---|
| Constellation: | Lib |
| Category: | Planet |
| Time: | 20060522.2145 EDT |
| Comments: | When we first observed Jupiter one moon was just visible against the trailing limb of the planet. Later in the night it had disappeared. The remaining moon were all on that same side of the planet and being farther from the planet appeared to be brighter and bigger. I was not to make out any banding on the planet but the wind was buffeting the binocular so the seeing wasn't that good. |
| Target: | M5, NGC5904 |
|---|---|
| Constellation: | Ser |
| Category: | Deep Sky Object |
| Time: | 20060522.2230 EDT |
| Comments: | A large faint fuzzy |
| Target: | Graffias, β Sco |
|---|---|
| Constellation: | Sco |
| Category: | Double Star |
| Time: | 20060522.2245 EDT |
| Comments: | A tight double with great disparity in brightness. The secondary appeared to be at 11:00 to the primary. |
| Target: | 14 Sco |
|---|---|
| Constellation: | Sco |
| Category: | Double Star |
| Time: | 20060522.2250 EDT |
| Comments: | A wide double; more equal than the previous one. The secondary appears bluish and the primary slightly yellowish but I can't say that those are the star colors and not the relative colors that would not be there if the stars were seen individually. |
| Target: | M57, The Ring Nebula |
|---|---|
| Constellation: | Lyr |
| Category: | Deep Sky Object |
| Time: | 20060522.2300 EDT |
| Comments: | I think I might have seen it tonight. I was able to see all of the major stars of Lyra naked-eye. |
<< Home