09 January 2006

9 January 2006

Observing
Location
TotL
Tom Clabough came up from TotL where he was observing and reported that there had been a couple of recent armed robberies in the park. One was on the north end of the park where it is more expected but the other was down at the Bethesda Fountain. During that event the victim was beaten by six assailants after the robbery. There has been an greater than usual police presence in the park tonight.
Observational
Period
1900-0100 EST
Atmospheric
Conditions
It is hazy here today and NOAA is indicating that the RH will remain high through the day with a slight rise during the evening and that it will not get cold tonight so I think transparency is going to be bad tonight. And cloud cover is supposed to be around 25% but is that 25% of the sky completely blocked out or all of the sky 25% blocked out by cirrus and haze. We might not see anything but the brightest stars of the Pleiades. And it is supposed to be windy.

NOAA graphic

Lets hope the CSC is more accurate for tonight than it is for right now. At 1300 EST all I can see out my windows is white.

Clear Sky Clock graphic

It started out clear but with some light haze. Some stripes of cloud occasionally passed in front of the moon and on occasions I could see clouds in the scope pass in front of the moon that I could not see naked-eye.
There was some wind, mostly out of the north but it did not seem to adversely affect seeing or make the temperature drop markedly.

TransparencyGood
SeeingGood
Instruments SAR: Coulter CT-100 - Charlie
TeleVue TV76 - Ben
Observing
Party
Charlie Ridgway
Ben Cacace

TargetOccultation of M45
ConstellationTau
CategoryOccultation
Time20060109.2000 EST
Comments
StarMag.EventPredicted
Date
Time
(UTC)
Observed
Date
Time
(UTC)
Merope4.14D10Jan06
01:48:17
10Jan06
01:48:07
Merope4.14R10Jan06
02:05:45
10Jan06
02:04:21
Atlas3.62D10Jan06
03:04:33
10Jan06
02:40:44
Pleione5.05D10Jan06
03:21:06
10Jan06
03:21:56
Pleione5.05r10Jan06
04:04:06
10Jan06
04:04:33
Atlas3.62R10Jan06
04:12:28
10Jan06
04:12:29
Capital letters under Event indicate that it should be seen with a 200mm telescope, lower case that it should not.

The only event that I saw through my telescope was the disappearance of Atlas. Times listed above for the other events are when Ben called out the event.
Merope started to come and go about six minutes before the occultation and I lost it entirely at two minutes before it was occulted. I was not able to see Merope after it had reappeared until it was some distance from the bright limb.
I lost Pleione two minutes before the occultation and did not see it reappear.
Although I saw Atlas become occulted I did not see it reappear although I was able to located it easily off the bright limb after seeing where to look for it in Ben's telescope.

TargetSaturn
ConstellationCnc
CategoryPlanet
Time20060109
CommentsDuring a lull between events Ben showed a couple of dog walkers Saturn. I could not tell which side of the ring was toward earth and which side was behind the planet. It had an overall orange tint in Ben's scope.

Disclaimer
This is my personal record of my astronomical observations. It was written for my personal reference. The only reason it is in a blog is that a blog is a very convenient way to get the records formatted more or less uniformly and they will, hopefully, have greater longevity at Google where the servers are backed up than on my hard drive which never gets backed up. I occasionally include copyrighted material in my posts. I do this to make it convenient for me to access things I think I might want to refer to again. I think of this like making a photocopy of something I read that I put in a file where I can find it when I want it. As I understand copyright law, as explained in the DVD series Copyright Compliance by Chip Taylor Communications, this use is allowed under the Fair Use doctrine since I am not making any money on this blog, I don’t publicize the blog, and only occasionally post small excerpts of copyrighted works.


Disclosure
This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog does not accept any form of advertising, sponsorship, or paid insertions. We write for our own purposes. However, we may be influenced by our background, occupation, religion, political affiliation or experience.

The owner(s) of this blog will never receive compensation in any way from this blog.

The owner(s) of this blog is not compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the blog owners. If we claim or appear to be experts on a certain topic or product or service area, we will only endorse products or services that we believe, based on our expertise, are worthy of such endorsement. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider.

This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest.