26 January 2006

26 January 2005

Observing
Location
TotL
Observational
Period
2045-2230 EST
Atmospheric
Conditions
It was cold and a bit windy but I was dressed warmly so wasn't bothered by either. When I was riding home on the subway I noticed my reflection in the darkened windows and my face looked very pink from windburn.
TimeTempWindSpeedGustsWind
Chill
2051 EDT27°FNW18 MPH--25°F
2151 EDT26°FNW17 MPH--24°F
2251 EDT25°FNW21 MPH--23°F

The air looked clear but at times it looked clearer than at others so there was obviously some haze up there which was only detectable by comparison. With nothing larger than Saturn to look at and only 23x magnification I could not assess seeing.

TransparencyGood
Seeing 
Instruments SAR: Coulter CT-100 - Charlie
SAR was fairly well behaved tonight. The objects in the center of the field exhibited much less coma than usual. Everything farther out to the edge still looked like comets.

I did two star tests, one on a brighter star in M45 and the other on Mars.
When the star was focused ahead and behind the focus point a disk appeared with the secondary mirror and spider silhouetted on it. The disk was not centered around the secondary and the side that it was offset to switched between the two out of focus points. Not having any kind of real focuser it was impossible for me to tell if I had to shift the focus the same distance on each side of good focus to achieve an equal out of focus image.
When I repeated the test with Mars it didn't "feel" right. Being closer than the stars Mars wasn't a point source of light so shouldn't be used for a star test anyway.


Celestron binocular - Kin
Pentax binocular - Peter
Observing
Party
Charlie Ridgway
Kin Lee

CT-100
Limiting
Magnitude
Observations
The main goal of the night was to repeat my CT-100 limiting magnitude test in M45 on a night without haze and a moon.
StarMag.Comments
TYC 1800-1567-17.28 
HIP 176926.99 
HIP 176846.98 
TYC 1800-1630-17.76 
TYC 1800-2192-18.38 
TYC 1800-1579-18.42just visible
TYC 1800-2201-16.27 
TYC 1800-0628-18.13 
TYC 1800-1406-18.09 
HIP 178326.47 
TYC 1803-0188-18.11 
TYC 1799-0073-18.27 
TYC 1803-0486-18.06 
TYC 1799-0079-17.86 
TYC 1800-1908-17.33 
TYC 1800-1961-18.10 
TYC 1800-1974-17.58 
TYC 1799-0184-17.18 
TYC 1799-0306-18.52 
HIP 176646.83 
TYC 1804-1961-17.67 
TYC 1800-0985-17.53 
HIP 178626.62 
TYC 1804-0265-17.52 
HIP 177916.96 
TYC 1800-1546-18.23 
HIP 177046.83 
TYC 1800-1908-17.33 
TYC 1800-0901-17.95 
TYC 1800-0985-17.53 
TYC 1804-0163-17.44 
HIP 179996.95 
HIP 179236.73 
HIP 179006.17 
HIP 178326.47 
TYC 1800-1406-18.09just visible
TYC 1800-0628-18.13just visible
TYC 1800-0628-18.13just visible

The dimmest star I saw in M45 tonight was Mag 8.52 which is 0.06 magnitude or 0.05 times brighter than the dimmest star I saw doing the same test earlier this month with noticeable haze and a near full moon. I think my limiting magnitude with this scope is going to be 8.5.

TargetBetelgeuse
ConstellationOri
CategoryStar
Time20060126.2130 EST
CommentsBetelgeuse looked very orange tonight to the naked eye. More so than usual.

TargetM42/M43
ConstellationOri
CategoryDeep Sky Objects
Time20060126.2055 EST
CommentsI could see a little nebulosity in the scope but not a lot. The stars at the top and bottom of the sword had coma while the trapezium did not.

TargetMars
ConstellationAri
CategoryPlanet
Time20060126.2130 EST
CommentsMars, while still bigger than a star, is noticeably smaller than it used to be. It still blazes orange.

TargetSaturn and M44
ConstellationCnc
CategoryConjunction
Time20060126.2145 EST
CommentsSaturn and M44 easily fit into the same 2.3° field of view tonight. The Beehive didn't seem to be as bright in either the CT-100 or the Celestrons as I remember it in my Canons.

TargetAlcor and Mizar
ConstellationUMa
CategoryDouble Star
Time20060126.2200 EST
CommentsI noticed a third, dimmer star -- TYC 3850-257-1 (7.59m), above and between Alcor (3.99m) and Mizar (2.23m), forming the ubiquitous triangle, that I have never remarked before.

TargetThe Engagement Ring
ConstellationUMi
CategoryAsterism
Time20060126.2215 EST
CommentsThe ring was faint but the diamond bright.

Kin had his monopod there so I tried it out with his Celestron binocular mounted to it. I have a predisposition to heavy tripods so it isn't surprising that I felt it was topheavy. How would it feel with my much heavier Canons on top of it?

The monopod did privide good up and down stability but didn't do anything for rocking or turning. Could I count sunspots with the Canons mounted on it? I am not sure the image stibilization would deal with that kind of movement. If I were using the monopod sitting down at my normal observing location a lot of that movement would be cancelled out by the back of the park bench.

The height of the monopod with ball head and binocular adapter was more than adequate for me to use standing while standing. It did not feel flimsy even with all seg segments extended.

Kin purchased the monopod over eBay and it came with a no-name ball head. He says that when he uses the head on a tripod he has to aim because the binoculars will sag backward after the head is locked and he releases them. This would not be a problem in monopod use since the position of the monopod is not fixed. He also says that the rubber grip on the azimuth adjuster appears to be loose over the screw head and just spins around the screw unless you grip it tightly. Although this should not be it would not present a problem in monopod use since you would just twist the monopod staff to look in a different direction.

Kin's Celestron binocular is individual occular focus and I found it a little cumbersome to try to focus one then the other while trying to keep the binocular on target. He says that once he gets the binocular focused it is set for the night so this isn't a problem. I find that I am constantly focusing my binocular while observing the sun and even stars. Also, when Peter and I were observing the Moon mext to M45 in my binocular in 2004 we found that we could not get both objects in focus at the same time. The difference in the distance to the Moon and to the stars is enough that it requires a slight adjustment in my binocular focus. Kin is planning to devise some sort of strap to keep the binocular from falling to the ground should he loose control of it while making adjustments. One of my concerns about a monopod for solar observing was what do I do with it when I need to sketch.

I can see a place for a monopod for grab-and-go binocular observing. It is small and light so won't encumber you. And it does increase stability and will lessen arm fatigue. But right now there are other items that are a little higher on my priority list.

Disclaimer
This is my personal record of my astronomical observations. It was written for my personal reference. The only reason it is in a blog is that a blog is a very convenient way to get the records formatted more or less uniformly and they will, hopefully, have greater longevity at Google where the servers are backed up than on my hard drive which never gets backed up. I occasionally include copyrighted material in my posts. I do this to make it convenient for me to access things I think I might want to refer to again. I think of this like making a photocopy of something I read that I put in a file where I can find it when I want it. As I understand copyright law, as explained in the DVD series Copyright Compliance by Chip Taylor Communications, this use is allowed under the Fair Use doctrine since I am not making any money on this blog, I don’t publicize the blog, and only occasionally post small excerpts of copyrighted works.


Disclosure
This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog does not accept any form of advertising, sponsorship, or paid insertions. We write for our own purposes. However, we may be influenced by our background, occupation, religion, political affiliation or experience.

The owner(s) of this blog will never receive compensation in any way from this blog.

The owner(s) of this blog is not compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the blog owners. If we claim or appear to be experts on a certain topic or product or service area, we will only endorse products or services that we believe, based on our expertise, are worthy of such endorsement. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider.

This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest.