23 January 2006

23 January 2006

Sunspot group 848 has continued to grow in size and complexity, but it rained all day here so I haven't been able to observe it.

A while back I made my first attempt at moding my RadioShack ear LED flashlight. I saw a plastic bag that had red printing on it and decided to see how it would do as a filter. I cut out a section of the red portion of the bag and taped it over the lamp portion of my light. Unfortunately it was too dense and attenuated the light too much. To be able to see with it I had to hold it by hand right against my PDA thumbboard, which negates the advantage of having an ear-mounted light. The bag I used was a DuaneReade bag which is white plastic that was overpainted with red and blue paint. It was clear that I needed a clear bag printed with red ink, or better yet, a red bag with no ink.

I found an Office Depot bag that is a much less dense white plastic with a lighter shade of red ink over it that I am trying now. Tests here in the apartment indicate that I will be able to read with this filter but when shined on white paper the light is only faintly pink and may not produce enough of a frequency shift in the light to preserve night vision. That isn't a big concern at TotL where there is plenty of light from street lights and surrounding buildings, even the NYPD helicopters lighting us up with the Midnight Sun, but at a dark sky sight where it is possible to dark adapt it night be a problem.

I am remembering that the Oriental supermarket near me uses bags made of red plastic and there is probably one here somewhere, if not there will be soon, so that will be my next test.

Disclaimer
This is my personal record of my astronomical observations. It was written for my personal reference. The only reason it is in a blog is that a blog is a very convenient way to get the records formatted more or less uniformly and they will, hopefully, have greater longevity at Google where the servers are backed up than on my hard drive which never gets backed up. I occasionally include copyrighted material in my posts. I do this to make it convenient for me to access things I think I might want to refer to again. I think of this like making a photocopy of something I read that I put in a file where I can find it when I want it. As I understand copyright law, as explained in the DVD series Copyright Compliance by Chip Taylor Communications, this use is allowed under the Fair Use doctrine since I am not making any money on this blog, I don’t publicize the blog, and only occasionally post small excerpts of copyrighted works.


Disclosure
This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog does not accept any form of advertising, sponsorship, or paid insertions. We write for our own purposes. However, we may be influenced by our background, occupation, religion, political affiliation or experience.

The owner(s) of this blog will never receive compensation in any way from this blog.

The owner(s) of this blog is not compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the blog owners. If we claim or appear to be experts on a certain topic or product or service area, we will only endorse products or services that we believe, based on our expertise, are worthy of such endorsement. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider.

This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest.