22 January 2006

22 January 2006

Observing
Location
PSC
Observational
Period
1340-1355 EST
Atmospheric
Conditions
A good bit colder today than yesterday but not bitter, just very crisp. A very light breeze is blowing and there is a light haze. There is very little boiling on the limb.
TransparencyGood
SeeingGood
Instruments Canon 15x50 IS binocular with Baader Astro-Solar filter film - Charlie
Observing
Party
Charlie Ridgway

TargetSunspots
ConstellationCap
CategorySolar
Time20060122.1340 EST
CommentsGroup 848 is the only game in town and is looking more impressive again today. There might be a plage on the eastern limb.
848SW Quadrant
The spot does not appear as complex today but the spots that are there are more solid and appear to be spread over a larger distance.
The f-spot now has an obvious penumbra.
It appears as though the entire group might be encircled by one outer bright ring.

 GroupsSpots R
North 0 0 0
South 1 5 15
Total 1 5 15
Groups * 10 + Spots = Relative Sunspot Number

The images that Space.com is currently showing with today's date sure look like what I observed over 24 hours ago and not anything like what I just saw. Even allowing for the date to be listed in UT it looks like they images are a day behind the date they indicate.

Disclaimer
This is my personal record of my astronomical observations. It was written for my personal reference. The only reason it is in a blog is that a blog is a very convenient way to get the records formatted more or less uniformly and they will, hopefully, have greater longevity at Google where the servers are backed up than on my hard drive which never gets backed up. I occasionally include copyrighted material in my posts. I do this to make it convenient for me to access things I think I might want to refer to again. I think of this like making a photocopy of something I read that I put in a file where I can find it when I want it. As I understand copyright law, as explained in the DVD series Copyright Compliance by Chip Taylor Communications, this use is allowed under the Fair Use doctrine since I am not making any money on this blog, I don’t publicize the blog, and only occasionally post small excerpts of copyrighted works.


Disclosure
This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog does not accept any form of advertising, sponsorship, or paid insertions. We write for our own purposes. However, we may be influenced by our background, occupation, religion, political affiliation or experience.

The owner(s) of this blog will never receive compensation in any way from this blog.

The owner(s) of this blog is not compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the blog owners. If we claim or appear to be experts on a certain topic or product or service area, we will only endorse products or services that we believe, based on our expertise, are worthy of such endorsement. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider.

This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest.