12 January 2006
I am switching the way I record time here. The idea of this blog originally was that someday the entries might be moved into a database where they would be more easily searchable. The date format I was using wouldn't allow entries to be easily time sequenced so I am switching to a date/time format which, it seems to me, is similar to the stardate used in Captain Kirk's log in the TV series Star Trek. From now on, or at least until I come up with a better scheme, the date will be in the format
YYYYMMDD.HHMMss EST(EDT)
| Observing Location | TotL | ||||
|---|---|---|---|---|---|
| Observational Period | 1915-2315 EST | ||||
| Atmospheric Conditions | The temperature was very mile, in the upper 40s, but there was a moist wind blowing out of the south that made it feel a lot cooler.
Initially the sky was clear but some clouds drifted in and there was a rainbow around the moon.
| ||||
| Instruments |
SAR: Coulter CT-100 - Charlie
binocular - Kin | ||||
| Observing Party |
Charlie Ridgway
Kin Lee |
| Target | Chantal occults TYC 1843-00401-1 |
|---|---|
| Constellation | Tau |
| Category | Occultation |
| Time | 20060112.1915 EST |
| Comments | The target star was Mag 9.5 and there was only a 1% probability that it would be seen from NYC. But if I hadn't gone out to look my probability would have been 0% so I gave it a try.
The occultation was due to occur at about 2021 EST so I was there in plenty of time to get my eqyipment set up and hop to the star. With the low probability of success I traveled light tonight with just the scope, short wave radio and a recorder. I spent over an hour trying to find the star but could not find anything that looked like the starfield in Planetarium. Eventually I decided that the stars were too dim for me to see. Since I was in the neighborhood of the Pleiades I headed up there to try and determine the limiting magnitude of my scope, something I should have already done. |
| Target | Orion's Sword |
|---|---|
| Constellation | Ori |
| Category | Deep Sky Object |
| Time | 20060112.2000 EST |
| Comments | There wasn't as much nebulosity visible tonight around M42/M43 as usual. |
| CT-100 Limiting Magnitude Observations |
|
|---|
| Target | Moon | ||||||
|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|
| Constellation | Tau | ||||||
| Category | Lunar | ||||||
| Time | 20060112.2115 EST | ||||||
| Comments | The moon was shining bright overhead and was probably reducing my limiting magnitude since it was centrally located to everything else I was ovserving.
The moon looked very flat except in the "marshes" near Mare Crisium, which had a very soft appearance like moss. The views were not great due to the coma in the scope.
|
| Target | Saturn and M44 |
|---|---|
| Constellation | Cnc |
| Category | Conjunction |
| Time | 20060112.2130 EST |
| Comments | Planetarium indicated that tonight is the first of about 40 nights when Saturn and M44 will be in the same field of view in my telescope. It is really stretching my eyepiece to fit them both in right now but if I open my eye all the way and mash it into the eyepiece I can do it. The view should become more comfortable in a week or so.
There was a "star" just off the plane of the rings to Saturn's 1:00 (7:00 binocular view) that does not appear in Planetarium and is probably Titan.
|
| CT-100 Limiting Magnitude Observations |
|
|---|
| Target | My Birthday Star |
|---|---|
| Constellation | Hyd |
| Category | Double Star |
| Time | 20060112.2300 EST |
| Comments | It has been a while since I checked up on my birthday star so I went out to the site in Hawaii last week to see what it is now. On 7 Jan06 it was τ1 Hyrdae, a Mag 4.6 star just past the first right angle bend of the snake's body and is 55.8 ly away. A line through the two bright stars of Leo points right at it. (I will have graphics of the location once I resurect my other machine.) Tonight I located the star which is an easily split double. It was low on the horizon when I first tried but by 2300 EST it was just cresting the trees.
When I got home I checked the Joint Astronomy Centre web site again and found that I already have a new birthday star. They say that at Mag 5.4 I should just be able to see the star naked-eye from a dark sky sight. They neglect to say that that dark sky sight needs to be in the southern hemisphere since ι Hor, in the constellation Horologium, the Clock, is near the southern celestial pole. I don't know how they figure that straight line of stars with a minor foot on it is a clock. Maybe they were thinking of a massive grandfather clock, but they certainly weren't visualizing the face of any clock I have ever seen. |
<< Home