03 November 2005

31 October 2005

Observing
Location
PSC
Observational
Period
1540-1555 EST
Atmospheric
Conditions
Mild, clear, breezy
TransparencyGood
SeeingGood
Instruments Canon 15x50 Image Stabilized binocular with Baader AstroSolar filter film - Charlie
Observing
Party
Charlie Ridgway

TargetSunspots
ConstellationVir
CategorySolar
Time1540-1555 EST
CommentsThe little sunspots from yesterday have grown a bit and I am now seeing five of them easily.

I did an experiment with tripod stability today. I started out performing my count of spots with the binocular hand held, with image stabilization turned on, while sitting on a bench and was able to see four spots. Next I mounted the binocular on the tripod but used it like a monopod, still from the seated position and without image stabilization and it was difficult to see the three largest spots. Turning the image stabilization on greatly improved my seeing and I was able to easily see the fifth spot. Lastly I splayed the tripod legs and used it in its intended manner and without image stabilization and did not see any improvement in the view. So I get reasonable views with the hand held binoculars when seated and using image stabilization. I can increase the quality of the view by using a monopod while seated. Adding a tripod may increase the quality of the view a little above a monopod but the increase appears to be negligible. The main advantage the tripod affords is the ability to let go of the binocular to make notes and have the target still in the FOV when I come back to it.

818
quadrant. There are two larger F spots high and one P spot low with two smaller spots between them. SpaceWeather.com is showing this as two groups (818 and 819) but I interpret it as one group.

 GroupsSpotsR
Northern
Hemisphere
000
Southern
Hemisphere
1515
Total1515
NOAA Boulder Sunspot Number
R = 10 * Groups + Spots


Observing
Location
TotL
The spotlights from the top of the GE building are still going.
Observational
Period
2030-0120 EDT
Atmospheric
Conditions
It was fairly clear and not as cool as last night. We remarked that the wind out of the south was chilly on the back of our necks.
TransparencyGood
SeeingGood
Instruments Canon 15x50 Image Stabilized binocular with Baader AstroSolar filter film - Charlie
Teleport 10" Dobsonian Refractor - Peter
TeleVue Pronto - AAA
Orion 6" Newtonian reflector - AAA
Binocular - AAA
Observing
Party
Charlie Ridgway
Peter Tagatac
AAA

A while back Rich Rosenberg sent an email to Team TotL asking if we had any concerns about him holding an AAA public observing session at TotL. Although both Peter and I had some missgivings about it neither of us replied. Ben sent him an email in reply saying it was OK with him which it probably would have been with me had it been anyone but AAA, at least as a trial. When I arrived in the park tonight my first impression was that there was nobody there but on approaching our location I found that there were so many people there I just wasn't picking up Peter's silhouette among them. Tonight was an AAA event and we were subsumed into it whether we wanted to be or not. From our point of view it was a fiasco although they declared it a great success.

I guess over the course of the night they had 10-15 people there and only had two telescopes and one pair of hand held high magnification binoculars. Peter basically could not use his own scope because Mike O'Gara kept telling AAA people to go look through it. At one point I asked him if he wanted to look at anything through my binocular, if he expected to be able to use his own equipment tonight, and if he got a 50% discount on it because he was only getting to look through it 50% of the time. And we were not even involved in the AAA event.

Only having a binocular I was much less bothered by AAA and will have to remember not to bring my scope on days when they are going to be there in the future.

There are some nice people in AAA, but the organization is a pain. There has been constant political turmoil and they have this attitude that astronomy doesn't exist in NYC unless they do it. Unfortunately it is difficult to separate the nice people from the organization.

TargetKemble's Cascade
ConstellationCam
CategoryAsterism
Time31Oct05; 2100 EST
CommentsKemble's is in the north where the sky isn't too light polluted and is relatively easy to find so makes a good first target to get me going.

TargetCaldwell 14, NGC869 & NGC884, the Double Cluster
ConstellationPer
CategoryDeep Sky Object
Time31Oct05; 2110 EST
CommentsIt showed up as a Caldwell object in my new Planetarium catalog and I didn't pick up on the double NGC number or recognize its shape. Once Peter told me what I was looking at it was obvious.

TargetCaldwell 10, NGC663
ConstellationCas
CategoryDeep Sky Object
Time31Oct05; 2110 EST
CommentsAn open cluster is Cas. No descriptive notes made.

TargetM103, NGC581
ConstellationCas
CategoryDeep Sky Object
Time31Oct05; 2110 EDT
CommentsAnother open cluster in Cas. No descriptive notes made.

TargetCaldwell 13, NGC457
ConstellationCas
CategoryDeep Sky Object
Time31Oct05; 2115 EST
CommentsAnother open cluster in Cas. Just to the left of a double star.

TargetHIP115990
ConstellationCas
CategoryDouble Star
Time31Oct05; 2120 EST
CommentsNo descriptive notes made.

TargetM38, NGC1912
ConstellationAur
CategoryDeep Sky Object
Time31Oct05; 2155 EST
CommentsIt has been a long time since I have been able to find the clusters in Auriga so the conditions must be pretty good tonight. I am picking up only two stars. It forms an equilateral with the right eye and right end of the smile of the Cheshire Cat.

TargetM37, NGC2099
ConstellationAur
CategoryDeep Sky Object
Time31Oct05; 2155 EST
CommentsA bright sprinkling of stars between two brighter stars. Later in Peter's scope I said it looked like an amoeba but a starfish would probably be a better description.

TargetM36, NGC1960
ConstellationAur
CategoryDeep Sky Object
Time31Oct05; 2155 EST
CommentsI saw it but didn't write down anything about it.

About this time the last of AAA left and Peter and I commiserated a bit about the experience as we did several times before we left.

Target13 Lep
ConstellationLep
CategoryDouble Star
Time1Nov05; 0030 EST
CommentsThis is a wide, unequal double.
There is something written just above this entry but I can't tell at all what I wrote so don't know if it relates to this star or this star relates to it, or if they are totally separate.

Disclaimer
This is my personal record of my astronomical observations. It was written for my personal reference. The only reason it is in a blog is that a blog is a very convenient way to get the records formatted more or less uniformly and they will, hopefully, have greater longevity at Google where the servers are backed up than on my hard drive which never gets backed up. I occasionally include copyrighted material in my posts. I do this to make it convenient for me to access things I think I might want to refer to again. I think of this like making a photocopy of something I read that I put in a file where I can find it when I want it. As I understand copyright law, as explained in the DVD series Copyright Compliance by Chip Taylor Communications, this use is allowed under the Fair Use doctrine since I am not making any money on this blog, I don’t publicize the blog, and only occasionally post small excerpts of copyrighted works.


Disclosure
This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog does not accept any form of advertising, sponsorship, or paid insertions. We write for our own purposes. However, we may be influenced by our background, occupation, religion, political affiliation or experience.

The owner(s) of this blog will never receive compensation in any way from this blog.

The owner(s) of this blog is not compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the blog owners. If we claim or appear to be experts on a certain topic or product or service area, we will only endorse products or services that we believe, based on our expertise, are worthy of such endorsement. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider.

This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest.