30 September 2005
| Observing Location | White Plains Road and Westchester Ave
Lat 40.83326044352751, Long -73.86249294816352 I got out late today and didn't think I would see the sun from PSC and this was the only place I could think of where I might see it and also have benches. There are no houses anywhere near here and it is not a park that gets a lot of attention so it is not a place that I consider a really safe one but might be OK for continued daytime use. | ||||
|---|---|---|---|---|---|
| Observational Period | 1730-1745 EDT | ||||
| Atmospheric Conditions | Cool, breezy and clear. There was some boiling on the sun's top and bottom limbs.
| ||||
| Instruments | Canon 15x50 Image Stabilized binocular with Baader AstroSolar filter film - Charlie | ||||
| Observing Party | Charlie Ridgway |
| Target | Sunspots | ||||||||||||||||||||||||
|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|
| Constellation | Vir | ||||||||||||||||||||||||
| Category | Solar | ||||||||||||||||||||||||
| Time | 30Sep05; 1730 EDT | ||||||||||||||||||||||||
| Comments | This spot is very small and takes prolonged observation to see. I had originally called it a northern spot but on examining my diagram I new feel that it is a southern spot.
| ||||||||||||||||||||||||
| Observing Location | TotL | ||||
|---|---|---|---|---|---|
| Observational Period | 2030-2330 EDT | ||||
| Atmospheric Conditions | Chilly and clear but a little bit gray
| ||||
| Instruments |
Coulter CT-100 - Charlie
Teleport 10" Dobsonian Reflector - Peter Tacahashi 22x60 binocular - Peter Fujinon 7x50 binocular - Peter Pentax 20x60 Binocular - Kin | ||||
| Observing Party |
Charlie Ridgway
Peter Tagatac Kin Lee |
Tonight SAR was behaving very well. When I first set it up I found a spot on the bar where the view was very good with much less coma than usual. I never moved the cans after that and had good views all night. Peter had brought his truss bar for me to try out and I found that it was a little tighter in my cans and the views might have been a little better although there was still coma there. The comet tails are always on the left side of stars so I suspect that I could lessen it somewhat by adjusting the primary mirror.
I have filed the bottom of my TeleVue Quick Finder red dot finder fairly smooth and mounted it in SAR's finder mounting car with double stick tape. Tonight my first task was to sight it in. I put the blinking light on the top of the GE building in the top of the field and adjusted the screws on the finder to move the dot over the light then sighted with the finder on the top of Peter's building and it was in the FoV. I moved on to Algol next and found it easily. I am not sure how you are supposed to use this thing but it is working for me. Sometimes I look at the red dot and move it under a star and then pan up until the star is about under the dot and pan right to check the Alt adjustment. Other times I sight with two eyes and let my mind superimpose the red dot over the star. In both cases I am getting the star into the FoV or very close to it.
I was also having good success star hopping with SAR, finding almost everything I went after. At the end of the night I tried hopping to a couple of objects that I might not have seen anyway but that were in areas where there weren't a lot of hop stars and I got lost. With this more limited FoV I find that I can't figure out where I am if I get interrupted mid-hop and have to go back and start all over again. This happened several times during the night and several times on one object.
| Target | The Double Cluster, NGC884 and NGC869 |
|---|---|
| Constellation | Per |
| Category | Deep Sky Objects |
| Time | 30Sep05 2050 EDT |
| Comments | I found the clusters easily. NGS869 is a lot larger than I thought it was and I am not sure that I have been seeing it in the binoculars or at least have been miss-seeing it. The two pairs of wide doubles are part of NGC884. NGC869 is a dimmer, larger cluster that is more sparsely populated. |
| Target | Kemble's Cascade and NGC1502 |
|---|---|
| Constellation | Cam |
| Category | Asterism |
| Time | 30Sep05; 2105 EDT |
| Comments | I hopped to the area easily enough but stopped short of NGC1502. I got as far as the middle of the chain and found a double star that had some glow around it and thought I had reached the bottom of the cascade. Peter moved the scope down over the bottom part and I realized that I was not prepared for how much bigger objects will look even though they are not greatly magnified over what I see in my binoculars but because my field of view is only half as much. In the binoculars I would see nearly all of the Cascade in one field of view and now I can only see the top or bottom half. |
| Target | Stock 23, Pazmino's Cluster |
|---|---|
| Constellation | Cam |
| Category | Deep Sky Object |
| Time | 30Sep05; 2110 EDT |
| Comments | It was an easy hop from Kemble's Cascade to Stock 23. The cluster is small and dim in my scope but there is an easily identified parolellogram (I think) there. |
| Target | NGC7789, Caroline's Cluster |
|---|---|
| Constellation | |
| Category | Deep Sky Object |
| Time | 30Sep05; 2120 EDT |
| Comments | Seen in the Teleport Named for Caroline Herschell who discovered it. At low power it looked like two triangles of brighter pointed at each other with stardust sprinkled inside them. At medium power it filled the FoV with many more stars resolving but the bow tie appearance remaining. |
| Target | M34, NGC1039 |
|---|---|
| Constellation | Per |
| Category | Deep Sky Object |
| Time | 30Sep05; 2135 EDT |
| Comments | I saw it in the Teleport but don't recall if I saw it in my scope or not. It looks like a big X of brighter stars with star dust surrounding it. |
| Target | NGC752 |
|---|---|
| Constellation | And |
| Category | Deep Sky Object |
| Time | 30Sep05; 2205 EDT |
| Comments | An open cluster. Large and sparse. |
| Target | Colinder 399, The Coathanger |
|---|---|
| Constellation | Vul |
| Category | Asterism |
| Time | 30Sep05; 2245 EDT |
| Comments | The coathanger crowds the edges of the field of view and doesn't look as much like a coathanger to me this way. It is harder to see it as a unified object. |
| Target | M27, Dumbbell Nebula, NGC6853 |
|---|---|
| Constellation | Vul |
| Category | Deep Sky Objects |
| Time | 30Sep05, 2323 EDT |
| Comments | I observed it both in the Teleport and in my scope. In SAR it is just an ellipse of brighter sky to the right of a bright star. |
Observing Statistics Year To Date
| Night | Day | Total | |||||||
|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|
| Hours | Days | Avg | Hours | Days | Avg | Hours | Days | Avg | |
| Jan | 9.80 | 4 | 2.44 | 3.80 | 4 | 0.94 | 13.50 | 6 | 2.25 |
| Feb | 14.00 | 9 | 1.56 | 1.30 | 2 | 0.63 | 15.30 | 9 | 1.69 |
| Mar | 15.30 | 9 | 1.69 | 2.50 | 2 | 1.25 | 17.80 | 10 | 1.78 |
| Apr | 40.50 | 11 | 3.86 | 6.80 | 4 | 1.69 | 49.30 | 12 | 4.10 |
| May | 18.30 | 6 | 3.04 | 4.80 | 8 | 0.59 | 23.00 | 9 | 2.56 |
| Jun | 22.80 | 9 | 2.53 | 16.30 | 16 | 1.02 | 44.80 | 16 | 2.80 |
| Jul | 26.00 | 12 | 2.17 | 3.70 | 15 | 0.25 | 29.70 | 16 | 1.86 |
| Aug | 19.00 | 9 | 2.11 | 8.00 | 6 | 1.33 | 27.00 | 13 | 2.08 |
| Sep | 58.00 | 14 | 4.14 | 9.10 | 16 | 0.57 | 67.10 | 20 | 3.35 |
| Total | 225.50 | 84 | 2.68 | 56.54 | 74 | 0.76 | 288.79 | 112 | 2.58 |
September Solar Observing Report to AAVSO
| Sep05 | UT | Seeing | Groups | Spots | W | Location | Comments |
|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|
| 1 | 2225 | g | 1 | 1 | 11 | The Great Lawn | not too humid; partly cloudy, mostly in NW; moderate boiling |
| 2 | 2105 | g | 1 | 3 | 13 | Turtle Pond | Hot, still air, some hunidity, light variable haze; minor boiling |
| 3 | 1850 | g | 1 | 1 | 11 | Lincoln Center | warm, clear |
| 4 | 1830 | g | 1 | 2 | 12 | Lincoln Center | warm and dry, light variale haze, some boiling at the limb |
| 9 | 2000 | g | 2 | 7 | 27 | Parkchester | Warm & breezy, slight boiling at the limb, constant refocusing |
| 11 | 1030 | g | 1 | 7 | 17 | Orient Point | Cool and clear, blustery wind, moderate boiling |
| 12 | 2100 | e | 1 | 8 | 18 | Parkchester | Hot, still air, no boiling |
| 13 | 2120 | e | 1 | 13 | 23 | Parkchester | Hot, light air, low humidity; no boiling |
| 18 | 2200 | e | 2 | 5 | 25 | Parkchester | Warm, low wind; very stable air, no boiling |
| 19 | 2110 | g | 2 | 3 | 23 | Parkchester | warm & dry, light wind; minor boiling; mostly cloudy |
| 21 | 2045 | g | 1 | 4 | 14 | Parkchester | hot, moderately humid. little wind, little boiling |
| 22 | 2025 | g | 1 | 3 | 13 | Parkchester | warm, windy |
| 24 | 2030 | g | 1 | 1 | 11 | Parkchester | mild, clear, light breeze; little boiling |
| 27 | 1930 | e | 2 | 2 | 22 | Parkchester | warm with light breeze, clear skies, low humidity; no boiling |
| 28 | 1915 | e | 1 | 1 | 11 | Parkchester | mild, light breeze, mostly cloudy, air feels moist; no boiling |
| 30 | 2130 | g | 1 | 2 | 12 | Westchester & White Plains | Cool, breezy and clear; some boiling |


<< Home