03 November 2005

30 October 2005

Observing
Location
Unionport road at Guerlain St (Parkchester), Bronx, NY
Lat:40.84037250465207, Long -73.8625967502594
Observational
Period
1605-1620 EST
Atmospheric
Conditions
clear and mild with a light breeze, no haze; some boiling.
TransparencyGood
SeeingGood
Instruments Canon 15x50 Image Stabilized binocular with Baader AstroSolar filter film - Charlie
Observing
Party
Charlie Ridgway

TargetSunspots
ConstellationVir
CategorySolar
Time1605-1620 EST
CommentsAfter the time change this morning I had a lot of trouble finding a location where I could even see the Sun in the late afternoon and was unable to find a location where seating was also available.
818
SE quadrant. Small spots that were barely visible.

 GroupsSpotsR
Northern
Hemisphere
000
Southern
Hemisphere
1212
Total1212
NOAA Boulder Sunspot Number
R = 10 * Groups + Spots


Observing
Location
TotL
There are multiple rotating spotlights on top of the GE building to celebrate the reopening of the observation deck there. (There had been an observation deck there for a long time which had very nice views but it was closed some 20 years ago when the Rainbow Room was expanded and blocked access to the roof. Now the Rainbow Room has down sized and only does catered events and the roof has been redesigned and reopened.) It looks like there is probably one of those sets of four lights on each end of the building. The spend part of their time aimed fairly low and their light extends north so that it can be seen above the police precinct building. It is making the Southern sky basically unusable and is very annoying to the east and west. Hopefully it will not be there for long.
Observational
Period
2015-0100 EST
Atmospheric
Conditions
Clear and cool. It was a little hazy early but that improved but as transparency improved it also got breezy buffeting the telescope.
TransparencyGood
SeeingGood
Instruments Coulter CT-100 - Charlie
Fujinon 10x70 binocular - Ben
Teleport 10" Dobsonian reflector - Peter
Pentax 20x60 binocular - Kin
Observing
Party
Charlie Ridgway Ben Cacace Peter Tagatac Kin Lee

I had Some Assembly Required out tonight. The views were not too bad but I just wasn't into doing a lot of star hopping so didn't use it much. I looked at a few objects through the Teleport and Ben's binocular but mostly just enjoyed being with the guys after about three weeks of bad weather and no observing. I didn't make any observing notes at all.

TargetMars
ConstellationTau
CategoryPlanets
Time30Oct05
CommentsWe looked at Mars in the Teleport at some high magnifications (~160x) and got some very nice views. Unfortunately the wind was moving the scope around at the end of the night when Mars was at its highest and should have afforded the best views.

We did see a dark stripe stretching across the planet with a break in its middle. To the right Syrtis Major Planitia extended down. I saw a last-quarter-moon-shaped crescent of darkness above the stripe along the left limb in a moment of better seeing. Ben reported seeing an area of white to the right of my crescent a couple of times but I never observed it. Both Ben and Peter saw spider-leg-like tendrils extending up from the stripe to support the white ball and that may be what my crescent-moon-like dark area was also.

Disclaimer
This is my personal record of my astronomical observations. It was written for my personal reference. The only reason it is in a blog is that a blog is a very convenient way to get the records formatted more or less uniformly and they will, hopefully, have greater longevity at Google where the servers are backed up than on my hard drive which never gets backed up. I occasionally include copyrighted material in my posts. I do this to make it convenient for me to access things I think I might want to refer to again. I think of this like making a photocopy of something I read that I put in a file where I can find it when I want it. As I understand copyright law, as explained in the DVD series Copyright Compliance by Chip Taylor Communications, this use is allowed under the Fair Use doctrine since I am not making any money on this blog, I don’t publicize the blog, and only occasionally post small excerpts of copyrighted works.


Disclosure
This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog does not accept any form of advertising, sponsorship, or paid insertions. We write for our own purposes. However, we may be influenced by our background, occupation, religion, political affiliation or experience.

The owner(s) of this blog will never receive compensation in any way from this blog.

The owner(s) of this blog is not compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the blog owners. If we claim or appear to be experts on a certain topic or product or service area, we will only endorse products or services that we believe, based on our expertise, are worthy of such endorsement. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider.

This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest.