25 November 2005
| Observing Location | CSP | |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|
| Observational Period | 0000-0230 EST | |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
| Atmospheric Conditions | The weather did me in tonight. I checked the satellite and radar images before I left home and they indicated some haze with some cloud probably coming in later. When I got to the park it was cold and very clear with a few clouds around on the horizon. By the time the moon came up there was a stripe of cloud running through the sky from SW to NE right through the part of the sky I needed to observe in.
NOAA graphic This enlarged portion of a NOAA GOES East IR satellite image made at the time I was observing shows my one band of cloud passing over NJ and NYC and ending in Long Island Sound. (I have decreased the image brightness a little and increased the contrast a lot to make the band of cloud stand out. The entire image was a lot grayer with atmospheric moisture.) It was really cold and windy too. The cold froze the batteries in my digital recorder -- not to mention my feet. I had dressed for cold weather but still could have used more clothes. I had on full long underwear, a wool sweater, a poly sweater and my winter parka as well as insulated pants over my jeans. My legs and torso were toasty. My arms were cool, my shoulders, and elbows chilled and my feet frozen. I forgot to pick up my weather instruments so don't know what the temperature and wind was on site but got the observed readings for Central Park:
| |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
| Instruments |
Canon 15x50 Image Stabilized binocular - Charlie
I anticipated trying to see some stars that might be beyond the limits of my optics, and on the bright limb of the moon as well, and wanted the best view I could get so brought the binocular even though I would have seen deeper with SAR. | |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
| Observing Party | Charlie Ridgway |
| Target | M42, Orion Nebula, NGC1976 |
|---|---|
| Constellation | Ori |
| Category | Deep Sky Object |
| Time | 25Nov05; 0010 EST |
| Comments | Lots of nebulosity, primarily above the stars. Very clear. |
| Target | Saturn |
|---|---|
| Constellation | Cnc |
| Category | Planet |
| Time | 25Nov05; 0015 EST |
| Comments | Very crisp. Cigar shaped. Looks like there may be some moons below and to the left of the planet. Just a little too far away to get the planet and M44 in the same FOV. |
| Target | Moon |
|---|---|
| Constellation | Leo |
| Category | Lunar |
| Time | 25Nov05; 0041 EST |
| Comments | I looked up and there was something that caught my eye and it was the moon rising through clouds to the right of the white building just to the right of the bridge. Orange/yellow in color. It looks very nice. There is a lot of boiling when looking at it in the binoculars -- looks like you are looking through the bathroom shower door glass that has circular lenses all over it and the glass is being moved.
The terminator looks kind of flat coming off the points of the horns then looks flat as it goes down the disk. It went down past Copernicus which looked very dark with light catching the western crater wall and around Fra Mauro. Down near Longmontanus and Clavius (or maybe it was Schiller and Longmontanus) it transitioned from a north-south orientation to heading directly to the southern horn.
|
| Target | σ Leonis |
|---|---|
| Constellation | Leo |
| Category | Occultation |
| Time | 25Nov05; 0054 EST |
| Comments |
|
There were more clouds above the Moon and none of the stars I was going to observe between the end of the σ Leonis occultation and sunrise were bright enough that I thought they would shine through the clouds so there didn't seem to be any reason to stand around in the cold for another five hours so I packed up and headed back home. When I got off the subway in The Bronx the sky was completely clear.
I gave Nvu another try and it mangled the formatting of my nested tables so bad that I had to scrap the post and cut and past from the source into my Notepad template. For all of its great features it doesn't work with my blog as it is currently formatted.
Here is an interesting piece of information from the SpaceWeather.com Web site.
Photo Credit: JAXA
"The shadow of space-probe Hayabusa on asteroid Itokawa. What makes the ground around the shadow glow? That's the opposition effect. At the sub-solar point, the shadows of, e.g., rocks and pebbles and grains of dust are hidden directly beneath the rocks and pebbles and dust. The absence of shadows causes the brightening. The opposition effect has also been observed on Earth, the Moon and Mars."
| Observing Location | PSC | ||||
|---|---|---|---|---|---|
| Observational Period | 1430-1445 EST | ||||
| Atmospheric Conditions | At 32°F the temperature feels almost balmy. There is no wind. The sky is littered with mares tales and lots of cirrus as well as one patch of stratus what is right over the Sun. There is no boiling.
| ||||
| Instruments | Canon 15x50 Image Stabilized binocular with Baader AstroSolar filter film - Charlie | ||||
| Observing Party | Charlie Ridgway |
| Target | Sunspots | ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|
| Constellation | Sco | ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
| Category | Solar | ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
| Time | 25Nov05; 1430 EST | ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
| Comments | While concentrating on group 824 I thought for a moment that I saw a small spot on the western limb at around 3:00 but I was not able to find it again.
I should note here that the crosshairs I draw on my Sun diagrams do not represent the orientation of the sun's poles and equator. They are just a quartering of the disc as I see it in my binoculars that help me to draw the sunspots in the appropriate locations.
| ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
| Observing Location | TotL | ||||
|---|---|---|---|---|---|
| Observational Period | 2030-0130 EST | ||||
| Atmospheric Conditions | CSC was saying that transparency wasn't going to be that great and seeing would be so so also so still being tired from observing and documenting my occultation attempt this morning I wasn't really planning to observe tonight. But Peter emailed and said he would bring the 10" if other people were going so I told him I would show up if other people would be there. The sky was milky and we didn't look at much, but not because of that. Our hearts just weren't with it tonight. We were all packed up and ready to leave when Kin showed up around 2130 or 2200 EST so we stayed longer talking with him. Saturn was rising above the trees so Peter set the scope back up and we got some very nice views of it when the seeing was good. About midnight, when NOAA said it was going to start getting cloudy, it seemed clearer than it had been all night.
| ||||
| Instruments |
Coulter CT-100 - Charlie
Teleport 10" Dobsonian Refractor - Peter I haven't used it in a while so I brought SAR tonight. I still haven't used it in a while. I found that I had put the red dot finder away turned on and the battery was dead so it was going to take more work to find anything than usual and I just didn't have an observing plan for tonight, not that I really plan that much anyway. I am more of an opportunist observer. But I had thought I might try some double stars. The sky didn't inspire me to want to observe. | ||||
| Observing Party |
Charlie Ridgway
Peter Tagatac Kin Lee |
| Naked-eye Limiting Magnitude Observations |
I had thought about making a naked eye limiting magnitude count in a few specific areas of the sky but that never happened. I may have seen seven of the Pleiades and saw some dim stars in the head of Pegasus. |
|---|
| Target | Cyclops |
|---|---|
| Constellation | Tau |
| Category | Asterism |
| Time | 25Nov05; ~2100 EST |
| Comments | I had the coffee cans set up and figured the Pleiades would be easy to find without a lot of sighting. I aimed the scope over there and found that it was pointing down in the trees. My perception of the elevation was way off. While sweeping up I came upon my Cyclops asterism in the Hyades. About that time some civilians came by and wanted to look through the scopes so I showed them the grouping of stars.
Star chart from Cartes du Ciel I am not much at drawing with the mouse (I hope my Tablet PC gets repaired soon so I can do a better job at things like this) but here is a Cartes du Ciel chart with my Cyclops drawn on it. θ1 and θ2 in his left hand are the naked-eye double to the right of Aldeberan which is low and to the left of the right foot stars. Obviously we are looking at his front if I can tell that he only has one eye. |
| Target | Aldeberan |
|---|---|
| Constellation | Tau |
| Category | Star |
| Time | 25Nov05; ~2115 EST |
| Comments | I swept in the wrong direction on leaving the Cyclops for M45 and came across Aldeberan. I panned around a little until I had it in the field with the nearby σ double (although I didn't realize that is what I was looking at) to see the color contrast between the gold Aldeberan and the rest of the stars in the area which are blue-white. |
| Target | Taurid Fireball |
|---|---|
| Constellation | Cet |
| Category | Meteor |
| Time | 25Nov05; 2135 EST |
| Comments | I was standing facing Manhattan south talking with Peter when a Taurid fireball streaked down very low over the skyline. It came in at a 45°-60° angle and tracing its trajectory back took me to roughly the area of the Pleiades. I observed it cross about 10° of the sky ending about a finger-width (with gloves) above and just to the left of the GE building. The upper portion of its tail was very diffuse and fluffy like an ostrich or peacock feather. Then it became very compact for a short distance and flared again before going dark. It was very fast and there was no residual effect observed where it has passed but the sky is very light polluted there and it would have been hard to pick up.
|
| Target | Saturn |
|---|---|
| Constellation | Cnc |
| Category | Planet |
| Time | 25Nov05; 2400 EST |
| Comments | We had been all packed up ready to go and were standing around talking after Kin arrived. Greg was passing through on his way to work at the Met. Saturn was clearing the trees and Peter decided to set the scope up quickly for a brief look. The views we got of Saturn made the trip down and the frozen feet worthwhile. We did a quick collimation since it was only supposed to have been a quick look.
I could see four moons out to the right and one to the left. There was good separation of the rings from the disc of the planet. Peter saw the C ring on the right side but the only place I could detect it was where the rings passed in front of the planet. There was a thin dark band separating the ring from the planet both above and below. The band above I interpret to be the C ring. Peter called my attention to the one below and said what he thought it was but I have forgotten now. The only thing I can think of is the shadow of the ring on the planet. On the left side of the planet I could see its shadow on the ring but it was very thin. The Cassini division was easiest to see at the extents of the ellipse of the rings but did fill in most of the way to the back side of the planet at times, particularly on the left side. There was a faint band across the face of the disc above the rings. We observed at 141x and 250x magnification. The 160x image was larger and not as crisp as the 141x image.
The Enchanted Learning web site has some nice information on Saturn and its rings. While setting up the Teleport two of the struts didn't extend when Peter pulled up the secondary cage. He says it happens more often in cold weather so it sounds to me like a differential cooling issue. The struts are carbon fibre tubes that have a metal (I think) plug stuffed in the end. A screw passes through the secondary cage flange and into the end of the plug. It looks like it is just friction that holds the plug in the tube and the plug must be shrinking to a greater extent than the tube when it gets cold. |
| Target | M41 |
|---|---|
| Constellation | CMa |
| Category | Deep Sky Object |
| Time | 26Nov05; 0050 EST |
| Comments | Looked like the Beehive cluster or M45 but without the stand out bright stars. Filled the eyepiece. |
<< Home