12 November 2005

11 November 2005

I was debating going down to Central Park to observe tonight but my local observations indicated that conditions might not be as good as predicted. Then I get a message from Peter saying that he had been out fighting the clouds for three hours while observing the Sun and Venus. He didn't plan to go back out so I packed it in also.

There has been a lot of clouds around today but it is cool and the sky looks really clear between them.

When I got home the Moon was looking nice so I walked up the block a little to see if I could spot Venus and it was there in clear air also. I went upstairs and grabbed a DVD that needed to go back to the library and headed downstairs with it and by then the Moon was playing hide and seek in the cllouds but Venus was below them. Making it to the end of the block where there is a slight dog leg in the street I could see Mars hanging there looking big and yellow at about 10°. The library had closed early today so I turned right around and retraced my steps stopping by the mailboox up the block from my building to take a quick look at both the Moon and Venus. I went upstairs and got my binoculars and took the stairs down rather than waiting for the elevetor. Both the Moon and Venus were obscured by clouds by then. I stood around and got occasional glimpses of parts of the Moon when the cloud cover thinned in front of it but never saw Venus again.

Disclaimer
This is my personal record of my astronomical observations. It was written for my personal reference. The only reason it is in a blog is that a blog is a very convenient way to get the records formatted more or less uniformly and they will, hopefully, have greater longevity at Google where the servers are backed up than on my hard drive which never gets backed up. I occasionally include copyrighted material in my posts. I do this to make it convenient for me to access things I think I might want to refer to again. I think of this like making a photocopy of something I read that I put in a file where I can find it when I want it. As I understand copyright law, as explained in the DVD series Copyright Compliance by Chip Taylor Communications, this use is allowed under the Fair Use doctrine since I am not making any money on this blog, I don’t publicize the blog, and only occasionally post small excerpts of copyrighted works.


Disclosure
This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog does not accept any form of advertising, sponsorship, or paid insertions. We write for our own purposes. However, we may be influenced by our background, occupation, religion, political affiliation or experience.

The owner(s) of this blog will never receive compensation in any way from this blog.

The owner(s) of this blog is not compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the blog owners. If we claim or appear to be experts on a certain topic or product or service area, we will only endorse products or services that we believe, based on our expertise, are worthy of such endorsement. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider.

This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest.