03 November 2005

2 November 2005

Observing
Location
Unionport Road and Starling Road, Bronx, NY
Lat: 40.83569710096194, Long: -73.85551571846008
Observational
Period
1730 EST
Atmospheric
Conditions
I was on my way home from dinner in the early civil twilight.
TransparencyGood
SeeingGood
Instruments Naked-eye
Observing
Party

Charlie Ridgway

TargetVenus
ConstellationSgr
CategoryPlanet
Time2Nov05; 1730 EST
CommentsI was walking along Starling Ave and saw a bright light above the buildings which I figured was probably a plane as it had turned out to be a few days ago, but this one never grew nav lights. I estimated it at about 10° above the horizon in the SW. It was Venus and was the only celestial object visible at that time.


Observing
Location
TotL
Observational
Period
2000-2345 EST
Atmospheric
Conditions
It was a chilly night again but although the sky looked a little pale I was seeing a lot of stars, at least to the north. The spotlights are still going on top of the GE building and were annoying even to the north. I hope they are not going to be a permanent "feature" of the observation deck.
TransparencyGood
SeeingGood
Instruments Canon 15x50 Image Stabilized binocular with Baader AstroSolar filter film - Charlie
Yukon 6-100X100 Angled Eyepiece Spotting Scope - Kin
Observing
Party
I thought I was going to be there all by myself tonight but Kin arrived around 2130. It was a much quieter and relaxed night tonight than my last experience here.
Charlie Ridgway
Kin Lee
I decided tonight to try to get all of the double stars in my double star catalog in the area of the sky above the police precinct, in the neighborhood of Can and Cas.

TargetKemble's Cascade and NGC1502
ConstellationCam
CategoryDeep Sky Object
Time2Nov05, 2020 EST
CommentsI usually see a small star in the area where I think Kemble's is so I tried pointing at it tonight to see if I could locate Kemble's that way but the star was too dim for me to see well over the top of the binocular so I just panned around until I came across the familiar arc of bright stars. I was able to split the double in NGC1502 the left claw of the bird's foot.

TargetNGC1501
ConstellationCam
CategoryDeep Sky Object
Time2Nov05; 2020 EST
CommentsMy catalog says it is supposed to be ring shaped but is 13th magnitude so too dim for me. No size is given. I saw a bright spot much brighter than my limiting magnitude (~9,5 I think) which resolved but is not in my catalog which goes down to 7th magnitude.
sketch

Targetι Cas
ConstellationCas
CategoryDouble Star
Time2Nov05; 2045 EST
CommentsA very tight double -- 2.9" -- nearly equal -- 4.6/4.9. Does not split but does not look round. Gets funny when out of focus.

Target48 Cas
ConstellationCas
CategoryDouble Star
Time2Nov05; 2050 EST
CommentsMuch too tight for me -- 0.8", 4.7/6.7. Just looks like a moderately bright star.

TargetCaldwell 5, IC342
ConstellationCam
CategoryDeep Sky Object
Time2Nov05; 2055 EST
CommentsI saw one point of light where it should be
18x17', 9.2m, a galaxy
More information in IC342

TargetTaurid Fireball
ConstellationCam
CategoryMeteor
Time2Nov05, 2100 EST
CommentsA meteor with a wide fluffy tail streaked down thorough Cam. There were bright points of light in and close to the tail where pieces of the meteor had apparently broken off and were burning up as independent meteors. After a bit the tail condensed into a narrow very bright streak and then the meteor winked out. I made a note that it may have brightened just before extinguishing.

Target1 Cam
ConstellationCam
CategoryDouble Star
Time2Nov05; 2110 EST
CommentsI did not split it but it looks strange
10.3", 5.8/6.9

Target2 Cam
ConstellationCam
CategoryDouble Star
Time2Nov05, 2115 EST
CommentsThis one is so tight it doesn't even look funny.
0.7", 5.6/7.4

Target11 & 12 Cam
ConstellationCam
CategoryDouble Star
Time2Nov05; 2117 EST
CommentsThis is on the other end of the continuum. It is such I wide double that I wasn't sure I was looking at the right stars. The left star is dimmer and appears more red.
178", 5.2/6.1

Target10 Cam
ConstellationCam
CategoryDouble Star
Time2Nov05; 2120 EST
CommentsAn easy double. Very unequal. Secondary is barely there.
83" 4.0/7.4

My catalog has a double star called 10 Cas listed in Cam right below 10 Cam. It has the same specs but a slightly different RA and Dec. It is obviously an error duplicating 10 Cam.

Target5 Lyn
ConstellationLyn
CategoryDouble Star
Time2Nov05; 2130 EST
CommentsAn easy to split double once you see the dim secondary. Forms a right triangle with two dimmer stars above it.
95", 5.2/7.8

Target12 Lyn
ConstellationLyn
CategoryDouble Star
Time2Nov05; 2135 EST
CommentsSo wide it doesn't look like a double. Unequal. May be a quad system.
4.9(5.4)/7.2(6.2), 1.8" (1.9

[I have found indication that this is at least a triple system with separations of 2" and 9" and magnitudes 5.4, 6.0 and 7.3.]

Target19 Lyn
ConstellationLyn
CategoryDouble Star
Time2Nov05; 2140 EST
CommentsAnother wide double but not as wide as nearby 12 Lyn. Also appears to be a quad system.
5.4(5.8)/7.6(6.8), 213"(14.8

[Alcyone lists it as having four components with 15.1" separation and 1m difference between the two brightest stars
A 5.45m, B 6.5m, C 10.9m, D 8.9m
separation: A/B 14.8', A/D 214.9", B/C 74.2"]

TargetCaldwell 14, NGC869 & NGC884, the Double Cluster
ConstellationPer
CategoryDeep Sky Object
Time2Nov05; 2145 EST
CommentsI recognized it for what it was tonight. The large open ring of stars to the left looks squished in height tonight. Lots of stardust in the richer cluster on the right.

TargetTaurid Meteor
Constellation
CategoryMeteor
Time2Nov05; 2153 EST
CommentsA meteor with a very long tail came from high overhead and disappeared still illuminated behind the police precinct.

TargetCaldwell 8, NGC559
ConstellationCas
CategoryDeep Sky Object
Time2Nov05; 2217 EST
CommentsAn open cluster in Cas. No description
sketch

TargetCaldwell 10, NGC663
ConstellationCas
CategoryDeep Sky Object
Time2Nov05; 2217 EST
CommentsI saw a group of faint stars to the right of a triangle of dim stars and below a downward pointing slender isosoles triangle.

TargetM103, NGC581
ConstellationCas
CategoryDeep Sky Object
Time2Nov05; 2223 EST
CommentsAbout half way between the triangle mentioned for C10 and δ Cas. I didn't really see anything but sensed something there. How much of that sensing was visual and how much was my brain knowing there is something there I can't say.

Target34 Cas
ConstellationCas
CategoryDouble Star
Time2Nov05; 2227 EST
CommentsA wide, unequal double
134", 5.0/7.8

TargetAchird, η Cas
ConstellationCas
CategoryDouble Star
Time2Nov05; 2235 EST
CommentsNot seen as a double, star looks elongated.
12.8", 3.5/12.8

Targetο Cas
ConstellationCas
CategoryDouble Star
Time2Nov05; 2245 EST
CommentsNot split but nearly so
3.2", 5.0/7.2

TargetAR Cas, HIP115990
ConstellationCas
CategoryDouble Star
Time2Nov05; 2300 EST
CommentsWide, unequal, easy double
75.6', 4.9/7.0

Target4 Cas
ConstellationCas
CategoryDouble star
Time2Nov05; 2305 EST
CommentsBright gold star not seen as a double.
95.9", 5.0/7.6

TargetM52, NGC7654
ConstellationCas
CategoryDeep Sky Object
Time2Nov05; 2315 EST
CommentsSaw some stardust around the right place in the constellation.

Disclaimer
This is my personal record of my astronomical observations. It was written for my personal reference. The only reason it is in a blog is that a blog is a very convenient way to get the records formatted more or less uniformly and they will, hopefully, have greater longevity at Google where the servers are backed up than on my hard drive which never gets backed up. I occasionally include copyrighted material in my posts. I do this to make it convenient for me to access things I think I might want to refer to again. I think of this like making a photocopy of something I read that I put in a file where I can find it when I want it. As I understand copyright law, as explained in the DVD series Copyright Compliance by Chip Taylor Communications, this use is allowed under the Fair Use doctrine since I am not making any money on this blog, I don’t publicize the blog, and only occasionally post small excerpts of copyrighted works.


Disclosure
This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog does not accept any form of advertising, sponsorship, or paid insertions. We write for our own purposes. However, we may be influenced by our background, occupation, religion, political affiliation or experience.

The owner(s) of this blog will never receive compensation in any way from this blog.

The owner(s) of this blog is not compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the blog owners. If we claim or appear to be experts on a certain topic or product or service area, we will only endorse products or services that we believe, based on our expertise, are worthy of such endorsement. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider.

This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest.