17 November 2005

17 November 2005

Observing
Location
Kenmere St & Mott St, New York, NY
Observational
Period
0715-0725 EST
Atmospheric
Conditions
Clear and crisp.
TransparencyGood
SeeingGood
Instruments Brunton 8x21 compact binocular with #14 gold welder's glass - Charlie
Observing
Party
Charlie Ridgway

I am going to try blogging this post from Microsoft Word. Peter told me about an add-in that will do it and I have installed it. I tested it on my blogging test bed and everything seemed OK so we will have to see how it does here with all the embedded HTML formatting. It seems a lot harder editing the HTML this way than doing it in Notepad where I can set it up not to wrap lines and have a much better sense of the spatial relationship of things in the post.

I had a computer seminar to attend today. When I checked the weather summary on my computer it said the weather would be cold but clear. I dressed for running from the subway to the seminar and back again and brought my compact binoculars along anticipating getting a look at the sun either before or after the conference.

I was having trouble standing still enough to tell much about the sunspots this morning other than that the groupings are huge. To me it looks like two groups, one composed of the leading western spot and the other the smaller trailing eastern spot. But SwpaceWeather.com is showing it as one group numbered 822.
TargetSunspots
ConstellationLib
CategorySolar
Time17Nov05; 0715 EST
Comments


Observing
Location
Bowery & Broome St, New York, NY
Observational
Period
0730 EST
Atmospheric
Conditions
Clear and crisp.
TransparencyGood
SeeingGood
Instruments Naked-eye
Observing
Party
Charlie Ridgway

TargetMoon
Constellation
CategoryLunar
Time17Nov05; 0730 EST
CommentsOn arriving at Broome St I caught something out of the corner of my eye and on looking down the street saw the pale moon hanging above the middle of the street. It does not look full any longer, the lower right corner being missing.


Observing
Location
CSP
Observational
Period
1500-1830 EST
Atmospheric
Conditions
Cold with a few scattered clouds. If Peter hadn’t had a down jacket with him that he changed into and lent me his poly lined shell I would have frozen in just my poly lined shell. This was a short observing session, not that it was planned to have been a long one to begin with, because of the cold weather. There was some wind, particularly before sundown, that made it feel colder than it was. It also buffeted the telescope affecting seeing. It took Mars a while to get above the haze and Peter likened it to looking at it under water. Venus passed over the Con Ed smokestacks over in Queens and they greatly affected seeing although Venus was at a much higher elevation. At one point we saw a large stream of white smoke coming out of the stacks and dropping down over the buildings to the north of them but at that time the wind on out side of the river was blowing briskly to the south.
TransparencyGood
SeeingFair
Instruments Brunton 8x21 compact binocular with #14 gold welder's glass - Charlie
Tacahashi 102 - Peter
Fujinon 7x50 binocular - Peter
Observing
Party
Charlie Ridgway
Peter Tagatac

While at my conference this afternoon I got an email from Peter saying he was heading over to Carl Schurz Park to observe Venus and the Moon if I cared to join him. Since the subway goes up Manhattan on that side of the island I decided to stop off on the way home. My initial plan had been to head home and get dressed for a night observing session at TotL. I knew it would be chilly but hadn’t bargained on it being as cold as it was.

TargetSun
ConstellationLib
CategorySolar
Time17Nov05; 1500 EST
CommentsI gave the sun another try with my little binoculars but didn’t have any better luck than I had had this morning. It is just too hard to hold the binoculars still enough to see the smaller sunspots. So although I can tell that there are small spots between the two large ones I can only claim the two spots.

TargetVenus
ConstellationSgr
CategoryPlanet
Time17Nov05; 1500 EST
Comments

TargetMars
ConstellationTau
CategoryPlanet
Time17Nov05; ~ EST
CommentsAs Mars rose it seemed to go up much faster than it went south. It did become visible in the neighborhood where I had predicted it but that prediction was for its rise which would have been farther north. Peter found it first in his binocular and after he told me where to look I eventually found it in mine but it was not easy at first due to the low contrast and haze.

TargetMoon
ConstellationTau
CategoryLunar
Time17Nov05; ~ EST
CommentsThe Moon rose much closer to north than we were anticipating. It was way over behind the left segment of the Triboro Bridge. It looked like a big orange light bulb. It quickly rose into a layer of very dense clouds which blocked all light from it. Langrenus was very prominent tonight.

Disclaimer
This is my personal record of my astronomical observations. It was written for my personal reference. The only reason it is in a blog is that a blog is a very convenient way to get the records formatted more or less uniformly and they will, hopefully, have greater longevity at Google where the servers are backed up than on my hard drive which never gets backed up. I occasionally include copyrighted material in my posts. I do this to make it convenient for me to access things I think I might want to refer to again. I think of this like making a photocopy of something I read that I put in a file where I can find it when I want it. As I understand copyright law, as explained in the DVD series Copyright Compliance by Chip Taylor Communications, this use is allowed under the Fair Use doctrine since I am not making any money on this blog, I don’t publicize the blog, and only occasionally post small excerpts of copyrighted works.


Disclosure
This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog does not accept any form of advertising, sponsorship, or paid insertions. We write for our own purposes. However, we may be influenced by our background, occupation, religion, political affiliation or experience.

The owner(s) of this blog will never receive compensation in any way from this blog.

The owner(s) of this blog is not compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the blog owners. If we claim or appear to be experts on a certain topic or product or service area, we will only endorse products or services that we believe, based on our expertise, are worthy of such endorsement. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider.

This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest.