18 October 2005
| Observing Location | TotL | ||||
|---|---|---|---|---|---|
| Observational Period | 2145-2215 EDT | ||||
| Atmospheric Conditions | It was supposed to have been mostly cloudy and possible rain tonight the last time I saw a weather forecast so I scheduled a movie. It turned out being very clear with not much haze at all. There was no ring around the nearly full moon. The temperature was mild too, especially for such a clear night.
| ||||
| Instruments | Naked Eye Observing | ||||
| Observing Party | Charlie Ridgway |
One of my other friends wanted to see Wallace and Gromet so last week we scheduled it for tonight when it was supposed to be mostly cloudy and possibly rain. It is also a Jewish holiday so theater attendance was likely to be lighter than normal. It turns out today was a beautiful afternoon and evening. I had thought about at least taking my compact binoculars with me to do a little solar observing before the movie but was cutting my time close so left with no equipment, no PDA, and not even a pen to write notes on a business card. I was surprised that nobody else was out observing so there was nobody to help me with constellation identifications. So I need to back out what I saw tonight before I forget it. I was able to identify all of the constellations I saw but two or three.
| Naked-eye Limiting Magnitude Observations |
There was some twinkling in the area of the α Per Association. The moon was causing problems when looking to the north and east. |
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|
| Target | Moon and Mars | ||||||||||||||||||
|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|
| Constellation | Ari | ||||||||||||||||||
| Category | Planet | ||||||||||||||||||
| Time | 20Oct05; 2200 EDT | ||||||||||||||||||
| Comments | Mars was 5.9° below and to the left of the nearly full Moon. Even given their proximity Mars brightness did not appear to be diminished.
|
<< Home