26 September 2007

26 September 2007

I have occasionally noticed differences in the data reported by various programs about celestial bodies. I decided to compare the data provided about the Moon by my primary astronomy tools to see how big the difference actually is.

For the following table I set each program to todays date at 1545 EDT, the time of Full Moon. For consistency I set all the program to 00 seconds past the minute. This was a pain for Starry Night Starter since the Moon was below the horizon at that time and it told me the moon didn't rise until 18## EDT and then reset the time to 01## tomorrow when the moon transits. To get at the information I wanted I had to lock the center and lock on the Moon and then step the time back to the time I wanted.

  
 Virtual Moon AtlasPlanetariumStarry Night StarterCartes du Ciel
R.A.0h10m20,8s0h10.6m 0h10m19.87s
Dec.+2°44'46"2.8° +2°44'18.9"
Distance363,475 km364*103 km
1.2s
 363,508 km
Apparent Diameter32.88'32'52"33'32.9'
Colongitude92.5°92.6°  
Phase0.1°2.3° 0°'
Lunation (age)15.29 days15d7h00m14.8d 
Illumination100.0%100.0%99.98%1.000
Solar Inclination-0.7°  -0.72
Libration in Latitude-02°13'  -2.21
Libration in Longitude-02 22"  -2.49
Position Angle-22.1°  -22.1
Azimuth+55°00'54.7°54°38.869+54°43'27'
Altitude-30°08'-30.3°-30°20.509'-29°46'02"
Rise18:3518:101836 
Transit00:1200:1201:06
Set06:256:2607:42 
Rise Azimuth87.54°93.9°  
Transit Altitude+53°+47.4°  
Set Azimuth269.72°270.8°  
Phase FullFull 
Magnitude -12.8-12.84-12.70
JD 2454370.3229  
LMST 15h10m  
Equation of Time 8m38s  
Siderial Day  27.3217d 
Solar Day 29.5307d 

The Moon is bright enough that I can usually find it, except maybe at first or last crescent, so most of these differences are not important practically. But I often have to get some of the data I like to record from different programs because no one program has everything. I rely primarily on Planetarium and secondarily on Starry Night Starter. But Starry Night Starter seems to be at odds with most other data sources most of the time. Virtual Moon Atlas doesn't work well under Vista (actually it works fine, it just doesn't want to shut down properly). Some of these programs may have some of the data that is missing in the table, but I haven't found a way to get to it and haven't spent time slogging through the instruction manuals/help files for any of them but Planetarium and Starry Night Starter.



Observing LocationMetOval
Observational Period2200-2400 EDT
Atmospheric Conditions
Cloud CoverClear
Temperature79° – 77° F
WindLight Breeze
HumidityModerate
Feels LikeMild

It was really close before and when I came out at 2100 EDTbut a front must have moved through around 2130 EDT because the temperature and humidity both seemed to drop at that time.

I couldn’t see any clouds but could hardly see any stars either. There was no appreciable ring around the Moon. Seeing was rock solid again tonight. There was no boiling at all on the Moon.

TransparencyPoor
SeeingI
Instruments SAR: Coulter CT-100 Newtonian reflector - Charlie
  • Celestron Omni 20mm (21.6x)
  • Celestron Omni 2x Barlow
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway

TargetMoon
ConstellationPsc
CategoryLunar
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20070926.2200 EDT
Comments
Lunation1048
PhaseWaning Gibbous
Full + 6h15m
Age15d13h15m
Distance
Light Time
(from earth)
357,024 km
1.19s
Elongation175.5° W
% Illuminated99.8%
Morning Terminator Colongitude (λ E)95.7°
Evening Terminator Colongitude (λ W)285.7°
Libration in Latitude-2°41’
Libration in Longitude-1°53’
Magnitude-12.8
Angular Size33'34"
Altitude36.2°

Virtual Moon Atlas graphic
There is a tiny libration arrow that you can hardly see that is down near 7:15.
I tried identifying terminator features but the lighting was so flat on the rest of the Moon that I was having trouble finding features to use as reference points.
There was lumpiness around the western limb from Mare Crisium to beneath Tycho.
  • There is a nick in the limb about at the top of Lacus Autumni, which was seen with difficulty.
  • I can see a couple of indentations of the terminator in the SW that I think are Boussingault and Boguslawsky
  • I found Lacus Excelentiae
  • I saw a dark splotch that was Schicard and another that was Wargentin. Further to the south was another dark spot that should have been Schiller and the unnamed plain below it.
  • Continuing from Schiller to the limb there was a broad double notch in the limb that would be either Bailly or Hausen and Le Gentil, depending on the amount of libration.
  • Ansgarius, Behaim,Hecataeus, and Humboldt look like they have a little bit of space between them and the terminator.
  • Abel is in the terminator.
  • Lyot

I tried to star hop from the Moon through the up through the Bass, over to the Water Jar, and down to the head to find the star field containing Pluto (a suggestion from Peter the last time we were out) and got lost coming out of the Water Jar and into the body.

Next I tried for Neptune but couldn’t make the stars match up with Planetarium and when I eventually moved around and found Cassiopeia I discovered that I had been starting my hop off of Altair rather than Deneb Algedi as I thought.

It is hard to hop to anything when you can’t see enough stars to tell where you are starting from.

About this time the Sci-Fi guy came by. He reads a lot of Sci-Fi and watches Nova and always has weird questions that are kinda there but not that close.

While the Sci-Fi guy was there a guy came up and asked if we were just taking it easy. Then he wanted to know if we were police or worked for the development (I had my radio clipped to my belt). Finally he asked if we were doing drugs. I don’t know if he was looking to make a buy or what. When we told him where the rent-a-cop shack was he said he knew and walked off in the other direction. It was bizarre (even the Sci-Fi guy thought so).




Here is another one of those inconsistencies in Planetarium.

It says that the Moon was full today at 1546 EDT and it shows it as 100% illuminated at that time. But it also says that it continues to wax until 1549 EDT. I did some exploring and found that it becomes 100% illuminated 2h09m before it is Full and remains 100% illuminated for 1h35m after it is Full.

TimeIlluminatedStateNotes
133699.9%waxing 
1337100.0%waxing 
1344100.0%waxing 
1545100.0%waxingtime of Full Moon
1546100.0%waxing 
1549100.0%waxing 
1550100.0%waning 
1719100.0%waning 
172099.9%waning 
I don’t see how the Moon can get any more illuminated than 100%. Once it reaches 100% it should be shown as full for however long it is at 100%. The way it is now it never appears to be full on either the summary screen or on the status screen.

Disclaimer
This is my personal record of my astronomical observations. It was written for my personal reference. The only reason it is in a blog is that a blog is a very convenient way to get the records formatted more or less uniformly and they will, hopefully, have greater longevity at Google where the servers are backed up than on my hard drive which never gets backed up. I occasionally include copyrighted material in my posts. I do this to make it convenient for me to access things I think I might want to refer to again. I think of this like making a photocopy of something I read that I put in a file where I can find it when I want it. As I understand copyright law, as explained in the DVD series Copyright Compliance by Chip Taylor Communications, this use is allowed under the Fair Use doctrine since I am not making any money on this blog, I don’t publicize the blog, and only occasionally post small excerpts of copyrighted works.


Disclosure
This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog does not accept any form of advertising, sponsorship, or paid insertions. We write for our own purposes. However, we may be influenced by our background, occupation, religion, political affiliation or experience.

The owner(s) of this blog will never receive compensation in any way from this blog.

The owner(s) of this blog is not compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the blog owners. If we claim or appear to be experts on a certain topic or product or service area, we will only endorse products or services that we believe, based on our expertise, are worthy of such endorsement. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider.

This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest.