26 July 2004

26 July 2004

Observing
Location
Parkchester South Condominium Oval, The Bronx, NY
Atmospheric
Conditions
After several days of lousy weather we got a nice day before it begins raining again tomorrow. It is a little warm and humid. Cloud cover is probably 10-25% and a mix of types. That makes sense since they say a front is on the way. But where you can see the sky it is a clear blue.
InstrumentsCanon 15x50 Image Stabilized binoculars
Baader AstroSolar filter film
Observing
Party
Charlie Ridgway

TargetSun
Time26Jul04; 1522 EDT
CategorySun
CommentsWithout binoculars sunspot 652 was barely visible today in the lower right quadrant of the sun at about 4:30. The umbras were widely separated and still confined within a continuous penumbra. There were two smaller spots above the main body and disconnected trailing off toward 12:30. Below were a pair of small spots around 5:30 well back from the limb. Another pair of small spots was in the upper left quadrant at about 10:30 and well onto the face of the disk.

652 is still large but is getting over close enough to the limb of the sun that foreshortening is going to start making it appear smaller than it really is. It appears to be dissipating and may not survive its passage over the back side of the sun to come back to the visible disk again.

These images have been cropped from the original and then shrunk down to fit on the page without making you scroll all over to see them or waiting forever while they download. So I have no idea how their size relates to that of the originals.

TargetClouds
Time26Jul04; 1540 EDT
CategoryClouds
CommentsI don't know for sure what this is but it looks like a reverse contrail. Normally contrails appear as thin straight lines of cloud after a jet has passed by and water has condensed onto the jet exhaust. It looks here like a jet has flown through a layer of cloud and caused the condensed moisture in that local area to evaporate. This is purely speculation on my part at this point.

Disclaimer
This is my personal record of my astronomical observations. It was written for my personal reference. The only reason it is in a blog is that a blog is a very convenient way to get the records formatted more or less uniformly and they will, hopefully, have greater longevity at Google where the servers are backed up than on my hard drive which never gets backed up. I occasionally include copyrighted material in my posts. I do this to make it convenient for me to access things I think I might want to refer to again. I think of this like making a photocopy of something I read that I put in a file where I can find it when I want it. As I understand copyright law, as explained in the DVD series Copyright Compliance by Chip Taylor Communications, this use is allowed under the Fair Use doctrine since I am not making any money on this blog, I don’t publicize the blog, and only occasionally post small excerpts of copyrighted works.


Disclosure
This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog does not accept any form of advertising, sponsorship, or paid insertions. We write for our own purposes. However, we may be influenced by our background, occupation, religion, political affiliation or experience.

The owner(s) of this blog will never receive compensation in any way from this blog.

The owner(s) of this blog is not compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the blog owners. If we claim or appear to be experts on a certain topic or product or service area, we will only endorse products or services that we believe, based on our expertise, are worthy of such endorsement. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider.

This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest.