06 December 2007

6 December 2007

Observing LocationVP
Observational Period1300-1315 EST
Atmospheric Conditions
Cloud CoverClear
Temperature32°F
WindLight Breeze
HumidityModerate
Feels LikeCold
Wind Chill 25°F

The air is clear but I can see some wavering on the Sun’s limb.

TransparencyGood
SeeingII
Instruments Brunton 8x21 compact binocular w/Welco gold shade 14 welder's filter - Charlie
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway

Target Sunspots
ConstellationOph
CategorySolar
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20071206.1300 EST
Comments
Distance
Light Time
0.985 AU
8m 12s
Angular Size32' 31.0"
Altitude25.2°
Heliographic Latitude
(B0)
+0.20°
Heliographic Longitude
(L0)
293.79°
Position Angle
(P)
13.97°
Carrington rotation number
(CR)
2064

Space Weather says Group 977 is still there, near the meridian, but I can’t see it. There is also a new group right on the eastern limb that looks to be big enough that I should see it in a couple of days. By tomorrow there should be two groups on the earth-facing side of the Sun. Something I haven’t seen since _____.




NASA had a problem with sensors in the fuel tanks and has had to scrub today's launch of the Shuttle. I think these are the sensors that detect that the tank is running out of fuel and shut the engines off before the tanks run completely dry which would result in the engines exploding. They have had a lot of problems with these sensors

I did a quick check on CalSly and the only time the Shuttle will appear in the sky anytime near the ISS is tomorrow night and they will be over a half hour apart and not all that high in the sky.

7Dec07, 1609 EST
Launch
7Dec07, 1618 EST
MECO
7Dec07
Visible Passes
1746 EST
  STS-122ISS
BeginsTime1821 EST
Alt.horizonhorizon
Az.WW
Mag.5.42.0
Max. Alt.
Ends
Time17491825
Alt.17.915.5
Az.NNWNW
Mag.0.1-1.6
9Dec07, 1304 EST
Docking with ISS
20Dec07, 1103 EST
Undocking from ISS
20Dec07, 1246 EST
Separation from ISS
21Dec07, 1730 EST
Deorbit burn
21Dec07, 1832 EST
Landing at KSC



Observing LocationPSC
Observational Period2045-2115 EST
Atmospheric Conditions
Cloud CoverClear
Temperature31°F
WindLight Breeze
HumidityModerate
Feels LikeCold
Wind Chill 25°F

It is clearer out than it was supposed to have been. A front must have stalled somewhere. There is enough wind that I can feel it on my face but I don’t think there is a wind chill factor involved like NOAA is saying there is. I didn’t wear gloves and was not trhoubled with my eyes tearing (or my nose running) like they do most of the time when there is any wind to get behind my glasses. The sky looked very clear.

TransparencyExcellent
SeeingI
Instruments Golden Gate 7x35 binocular - Charlie
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway

Target17P/Holmes
ConstellationPer
CategoryComet
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20071206.2045 EST
CommentsI couldn’t find the comet just looking up into Per. After I looked at Planetarium and knew where to look for it I thought I might have seen a white glow there but it was nothing that I could describe.

TargetMars
ConstellationGem
CategoryPlanet
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20071206.2105 EST
Comments
Object
Class
Classical Planet
Elongation155.2° W
Distance
Light Time
(from Earth)
1.04 AU
5m 20s
Distance
(from Sun)
1.55 AU
Angular Size15.5"
Magnitude-1.4
Central Meridian 48°
Altitude33.1°
Mars is getting big (but nowhere as big as the Moon yet) and bright. It has a definite disk even at 7x.

Disclaimer
This is my personal record of my astronomical observations. It was written for my personal reference. The only reason it is in a blog is that a blog is a very convenient way to get the records formatted more or less uniformly and they will, hopefully, have greater longevity at Google where the servers are backed up than on my hard drive which never gets backed up. I occasionally include copyrighted material in my posts. I do this to make it convenient for me to access things I think I might want to refer to again. I think of this like making a photocopy of something I read that I put in a file where I can find it when I want it. As I understand copyright law, as explained in the DVD series Copyright Compliance by Chip Taylor Communications, this use is allowed under the Fair Use doctrine since I am not making any money on this blog, I don’t publicize the blog, and only occasionally post small excerpts of copyrighted works.


Disclosure
This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog does not accept any form of advertising, sponsorship, or paid insertions. We write for our own purposes. However, we may be influenced by our background, occupation, religion, political affiliation or experience.

The owner(s) of this blog will never receive compensation in any way from this blog.

The owner(s) of this blog is not compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the blog owners. If we claim or appear to be experts on a certain topic or product or service area, we will only endorse products or services that we believe, based on our expertise, are worthy of such endorsement. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider.

This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest.