31 December 2007

31 December 2007

The Moon and the year travel and pass away;
Also the day, also the wine.
Also the flesh passes away to the place of its quietness.

Mayan



Observing LocationChief Dennis L. Devlin Park, Bronx, NY
Observational Period1300-1315 EST
Atmospheric Conditions
Cloud CoverScattered Clouds
Temperature49°F
WindLight Breeze
gusting to
Gentle Breeze
HumidityModerate
Barometric Pressure29.94" Hg
Falling
Feels LikeCool
Wind Chill 32°F

It is comfortable until the wind blows.

TransparencyGood
SeeingI
Instruments25x30 “spyglass” telescope - Charlie
I cleaned it again, this time using computer screen cleaner, and it looks like I got most of the small dust, but now it lools like there are two huge paramecia floating in the FoV; probably drops of screen cleaner that dried leaving a residue
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway

Target Sunspots
ConstellationSgr
CategorySolar
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20071231.1300 EST
Comments
Distance
Light Time
0.983 AU
8m 11s
Angular Size32' 35"
Altitude25.3°
Heliographic Latitude
(B0)
-2.92°
Heliographic Longitude
(L0)
324.44°
Position Angle
(P)
2.47°
Carrington rotation number
(CR)
2065

Nothing seen.

 Groups SpotsR
North0 0 0
South0 0 0
Total0 0 0
R = (Groups * 10) + Spots)



Observing LocationTotL
Observational Period2030-0030 EST
Atmospheric Conditions
Cloud CoverScattered Clouds
Temperature39° F
WindCalm
HumidityModerate
Barometric Pressure30.14” Hg
Steady
Feels Like

The sky looked splotchy gray but I can see stars.

When I picked up my tripod case at the end of the session the upeard-facing surface of it was encrusted with frost.

TransparencyGood
SeeingII
Instruments Brunton 8x21 compact binocular – Charlie Nikon CoolPix 990 digital camera – Charlie
  • Fisheye Converter FC-E8
  • Wide Converter WC-E63
  • Tele Converter TC-E2
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway

TargetM45, the Pleiades, NGC1432
ConstellationTau
CategoryDSO: OCl
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20071231.2040 EST
CommentsI could see four or five stars naked-eye and six with the binocular.

TargetC41, Hyades, Melote 25
ConstellationTau
CategoryDSO: OCl
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20071231.2045 EST
CommentsI cab split the θ1 and θ2 double stars naked eye and with the binocular I can see the Cyclops but not all of the component stars.

Target8P/Temple
ConstellationPsc
CategoryComet
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20071231.2055 EST
CommentsI located the comet first naked-eye then got it in the binocular but can’t hold the small, light optic steady enough to describe it other than a point of light similar to a star.

Planetarium is in good agreement with the MPC ephemeris data for 31Dec07 but appears to be about two days behind it by 5Jan08.

I have plotted the location of 8P/Tuttle from late December through early April of next year by which time it will be to faint for me to see it even with the aid of SAR.

I tried making pictures of Orion

That big orange dot in the upper left corner is Mars. It just may gat to be as big as the Moon.

Then I tried making pictures with the Fisheye Converter pointing at zenith. I was getting pixels lit up with a 4-second, f/8(?) exposure. But there is more dirt on the lens that there are stars in the image.

When the fireworks started going off at midnight I made pictures as fast as I could.

I had set the camera to manual focus at infinity but found that each time I set it to self-timer it reset itself to Macro so all the stars, street lamps, and me are out of focus. I remember that there is some trick to fool the camera into staying focused at infinity when you put it into self-timer mode but I can’t remember what it is. I will have to check with Peter and see if he knows.



Sunspots Observed

The Sun has finally developed some spots so I have done a bit of observing when the weather was conducive to that activity.

Observing Hours for the Year 2007

 DayNightTotal
HoursDaysAvgHoursDaysAvgHoursDaysAvg
Jan4.25120.357.7590.8612.00160.75
Feb3.50140.3020.7552.0424.25151.17
Mar9.25160.4036.75102.7646.00171.71
Apr4.00140.3822.5072.8326.5161.70
May11.75160.4531.0092.9742.75201.80
Jun7.00150.4618.5082.8625.50181.74
Jul5.75180.4330.00102.8835.75191.76
Aug8.00130.4542.25142.9150.25191.88
Sep2.2560.3844.50152.9746.25162.89
Oct1.2530.4220.50111.8621.75141.55
Nov0.0000.0021.00131.6221.00131.62
Dec4.76130.3713.2571.8918.00131.38
TOTAL 61.751400.44308.751182.62370.001961.89

Year-to-Year Observing Comparison

Disclaimer
This is my personal record of my astronomical observations. It was written for my personal reference. The only reason it is in a blog is that a blog is a very convenient way to get the records formatted more or less uniformly and they will, hopefully, have greater longevity at Google where the servers are backed up than on my hard drive which never gets backed up. I occasionally include copyrighted material in my posts. I do this to make it convenient for me to access things I think I might want to refer to again. I think of this like making a photocopy of something I read that I put in a file where I can find it when I want it. As I understand copyright law, as explained in the DVD series Copyright Compliance by Chip Taylor Communications, this use is allowed under the Fair Use doctrine since I am not making any money on this blog, I don’t publicize the blog, and only occasionally post small excerpts of copyrighted works.


Disclosure
This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog does not accept any form of advertising, sponsorship, or paid insertions. We write for our own purposes. However, we may be influenced by our background, occupation, religion, political affiliation or experience.

The owner(s) of this blog will never receive compensation in any way from this blog.

The owner(s) of this blog is not compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the blog owners. If we claim or appear to be experts on a certain topic or product or service area, we will only endorse products or services that we believe, based on our expertise, are worthy of such endorsement. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider.

This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest.