28 December 2007

28 December 2007

Observing LocationPSC
Observational Period1400-1415 EST
Atmospheric Conditions
Cloud CoverHazy
Temperature48°F
WindLight Breeze
HumidityModerate
Feels LikeVery Mild and Pleasant

There is no visible cloud but the sky is not blye and through the binocular I can see variations in the density of the atmosphere between the Sun and me.

TransparencyFair
SeeingI
Instruments Brunton 8x21 compact binocular w/Welco gold shade 14 welder's filter - Charlie
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway

Target Sunspots
ConstellationSgr
CategorySolar
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20071228.1400 EST
Comments
Distance
Light Time
0.983 AU
8m 11s
Angular Size32'34.9"
Altitude20.6°
Heliographic Latitude
(B0)
-2.56°
Heliographic Longitude
(L0)
3.40°
Position Angle
(P)
3.90°
Carrington rotation number
(CR)
2064

Nothing seen.

 Groups SpotsR
North0 0 0
South0 0 0
Total0 0 0
R = (Groups * 10) + Spots)



The BBC today posted an article speculating that the launch os Atlantis with the ESA Columbus module may not take place until late January or sometime in February. It appears that NASA hasn't identified the problem with the ECO sensors and they are trying to juggle the Atlantis launch with the launch of the ESA Jules Verne automated cargo transport vehicle. Jules Verne has to be up there before the two Shuttle flights after STS-122 can launch. Jules Verne can launch and go somehwere and hang out while Atlantis is at the ISS and then dock afterward. But NASA still has to get the sensor problem fixed.

Meanwhile, in another news source, NASA said yesterday that they are going to try to resolve the sensor problem by cutting off the connector that mates to the outside of the pass-through connector and soldering the wires directly to it. I don't see any indication that they are sure that the problem is on the outside of the tank though.

NASA's Shuttle splash page says that a 10Jan08 launch is out of the question but, since they don't know how long it will take to solder the pins, reapply the foam, and test the repair, they don't have a new target launch date.

Disclaimer
This is my personal record of my astronomical observations. It was written for my personal reference. The only reason it is in a blog is that a blog is a very convenient way to get the records formatted more or less uniformly and they will, hopefully, have greater longevity at Google where the servers are backed up than on my hard drive which never gets backed up. I occasionally include copyrighted material in my posts. I do this to make it convenient for me to access things I think I might want to refer to again. I think of this like making a photocopy of something I read that I put in a file where I can find it when I want it. As I understand copyright law, as explained in the DVD series Copyright Compliance by Chip Taylor Communications, this use is allowed under the Fair Use doctrine since I am not making any money on this blog, I don’t publicize the blog, and only occasionally post small excerpts of copyrighted works.


Disclosure
This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog does not accept any form of advertising, sponsorship, or paid insertions. We write for our own purposes. However, we may be influenced by our background, occupation, religion, political affiliation or experience.

The owner(s) of this blog will never receive compensation in any way from this blog.

The owner(s) of this blog is not compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the blog owners. If we claim or appear to be experts on a certain topic or product or service area, we will only endorse products or services that we believe, based on our expertise, are worthy of such endorsement. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider.

This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest.